79 replies to this topic

#41 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

View PostDrew, on Jul 8 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

Wise Blood is very strange. Apparently there was a film version with Brad Dourif. Have you ever seen it?
Nothing says strange like "film version with Brad Dourif."    ;)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#42 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

^^It's an excellent film, though, directed by John Huston.  I haven't read Wise Blood, only the short stories, so I can't vouch for its fidelity as an adaptation.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#43 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Drew: Wise Blood is very strange. Apparently there was a film version with Brad Dourif. Have you ever seen it?

No, but people have told me about it for years. I read the book and liked it, but I really think short stories are the perfect form for her--the better to deliver a punch in the gut. ;)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#44 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 8 2009, 12:36 PM, said:

Specs I know you're a Xena fan (well..erm...to a point...;)) but I don't recall seeing you post in discussions about other "genre" shows or books and I'm wondering if you like any other fantasy or science fiction shows/books/films...

I was a huge Buffy fan. I never quite got into Angel as much, but I've been thinking of renting some seasons and trying get into it. But I absolutely adored Buffy. And I guess I was kind of "eh" about television after Buffy ended until Battlestar Galactica came along.

I just prefer to watch them and not talk about them. Xena cured me of critical analysis of television shows online. I'd rather just pop popcorn and enjoy the programs and not argue about them.

But I do like sci-fi and fantasy. I'm nowhere near as well-versed in the genres as most folks here, but I like them. Star Trek was one of my favorite tv shows when I was a kid--and the "classic" was in its first run. And I liked Batman and Spiderman and the Six Million Dollar Woman. (I had a crush on her.  :blush: ) And I liked Blade Runner, Terminator, Alien, Aliens etc. Oh, and the series with the immortal Scottish guy, whatsisname, "there can only be one!".... And do The Jetsons count? ;)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#45 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Nonny: Morelli or Ranger?  :lol:

You know, it's interesting. At first, I thought Stephanie belonged with Morelli and Ranger was an intruder. But as the series goes on, I can see how she'd end up with Ranger and Morelli would end up with a more traditional "Burg" woman. I love both characters, though. In fact, I like them all, including the Grandmother and the hamster, Rex. :)

Which JE book did you read first?

The first in the series, and I'm so glad she's numbered them. I tried to read an Evanovich book years ago and couldn't get into it. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a smart-ass, inept bounty hunter and an over-the-top cast of characters. But this May I was flying down to visit family in Alabama and decided I'd give it a shot again since I have to read on planes. Somewhere in the air over Tennessee, I got hooked.

I've been gobbling them up since. I'll start the fourteenth after I finish Crais' The Forgotten Man. Pretty soon I guess I'll have to wait impatiently for the next one to be published like everyone else. :( It's really been fun to read them all practically back-to-back these past two months. I haven't had this much fun since I discovered the joys of my older brother's Hardy Boys series the summer I was ten. :)

#46 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

I think you're thinking of...

"Duncan MacLeod, born 400 years ago in the highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the stroke of a sword and the fall of a head will release the power of the Quickening. In the end, there can be only one."

[cue epic Queen music]

Ahem. Yeah I like Highlander too :D

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#47 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

View PostNonny, on Jul 8 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

Excellent idea, Drew!  

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 7 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

Lately I've been on a Janet Evanovich kick.
Morelli or Ranger?    :lol:   Which JE book did you read first?  

Have you read the romance novels she wrote before she became famous? They're reprinting them and I sometimes think I like them even better than the Plum novels. She has a twisted mind, for sure. :p

and the series with the immortal Scottish guy, whatsisname, "there can only be one,"...

Me too. Although I'm a Methos kind of gal... ;)

And LOL, Sparky. I confess to having all the DVD's and watching them occasionally.

Edited by Rhea, 08 July 2009 - 06:48 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#48 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

That's it! The Highlander. That was driving me nuts. Thanks. :)

#49 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Rhea: Have you read the romance novels she wrote before she became famous?

No, I usually draw the line at romance novels. But these are good? Funny? I might give 'em a whirl....

Her humor kills me. Yesterday, I scared poor Ladyfriend off the bed I started laughing so hard. It was the scene with the Blackie, Grandma's stuffed cat, at the dinner table.

#50 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 8 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

Nonny: Morelli or Ranger?  :lol:

You know, it's interesting. At first, I thought Stephanie belonged with Morelli and Ranger was an intruder. But as the series goes on, I can see how she'd end up with Ranger and Morelli would end up with a more traditional "Burg" woman. I love both characters, though. In fact, I like them all, including the Grandmother and the hamster, Rex. :)
The Ranger/Morelli fights online were legendary.    :rolleyes:   I miss her mb, but I don't miss those fights.  

Grandma Mazur is a pip, isn't she?  In fact, looking up, I can see my evanovich.com Ain't That a Pip! bumpersticker on my DVD shelves.    :lol:

Which JE book did you read first?

The first in the series, and I'm so glad she's numbered them. I tried to read an Evanovich book years ago and couldn't get into it. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a smart-ass, inept bounty hunter and an over-the-top cast of characters. But this May I was flying down to visit family in Alabama and decided I'd give it a shot again since I have to read on planes. Somewhere in the air over Tennessee, I got hooked.

I've been gobbling them up since. I'll start the fourteenth after I finish Crais' The Forgotten Man. Pretty soon I guess I'll have to wait impatiently for the next one to be published like everyone else. :( It's really been fun to read them all practically back-to-back these past two months. I haven't had this much fun since I discovered the joys of my older brother's Hardy Boys series the summer I was ten. :)
I had the dubious pleasure of waiting for the next book after reading the first five, and that's why I always advise new Plum readers to have Hot Six ready to go.  If you ever have the opportunity of going to an Evanovich or a Crais signing, don't miss it!  They are both funny, happy people and they love to meet their fans.   :happy:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 8 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

Rhea: Have you read the romance novels she wrote before she became famous?

No, I usually draw the line at romance novels. But these are good? Funny? I might give 'em a whirl....

Her humor kills me. Yesterday, I scared poor Ladyfriend off the bed I started laughing so hard. It was the scene with the Blackie, Grandma's stuffed cat, at the dinner table.
OMG classic Grandma Mazur!  Right up there with shooting the chicken in the gumpy.    :lol:  

The romance novels are interesting because you can see the stirrings of the Plum series.  There's a character named Elsie in several of them who has some of Grandma Mazur's qualities.  Janet wasn't all that comfortable writing romance because of the obligatory (these days) sex scenes.  As she says, she ran out of positions.  She's more about the humor, so I'm glad she made the move out of romance.  

I try to have at least one Plum audiobook when I'm on a roadtrip.  Nothing makes me smile like a Plum audiobook.   :D

Have you read the between the numbers Plums?  Plum Lucky is my favorite.
Posted Image

#52 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

^Cool. And they're both damned good writers, too. :)

Nonny: Grandma Mazur is a pip, isn't she?

:D Indeed she is.

#53 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Have you read the between the numbers Plums? Plum Lucky is my favorite.

That's good to know. I'll probably resort to those when I read all the available numbered ones--which is just about to happen.  :(

And, yeah, Grandma Mazur's shooting the chicken "in the gumpy" was another great moment. It's also fun to see the creative ways Stephanie's cars are destroyed. :)  A problem I have with the series, though, is that I crave junk food. I've eaten lots more doughnuts lately thanks to her and Lula. And I've been tempted to buy a birthday cake.

;)

#54 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, there is that junk food downside.
Posted Image

#55 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 8 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 8 2009, 12:36 PM, said:

Specs I know you're a Xena fan (well..erm...to a point...;)) but I don't recall seeing you post in discussions about other "genre" shows or books and I'm wondering if you like any other fantasy or science fiction shows/books/films...

I was a huge Buffy fan. I never quite got into Angel as much, but I've been thinking of renting some seasons and trying get into it. But I absolutely adored Buffy. And I guess I was kind of "eh" about television after Buffy ended until Battlestar Galactica came along.

I just prefer to watch them and not talk about them. Xena cured me of critical analysis of television shows online. I'd rather just pop popcorn and enjoy the programs and not argue about them.

But I do like sci-fi and fantasy. I'm nowhere near as well-versed in the genres as most folks here, but I like them. Star Trek was one of my favorite tv shows when I was a kid--and the "classic" was in its first run. And I liked Batman and Spiderman and the Six Million Dollar Woman. (I had a crush on her.  :blush: ) And I liked Blade Runner, Terminator, Alien, Aliens etc. Oh, and the series with the immortal Scottish guy, whatsisname, "there can only be one!".... And do The Jetsons count? ;)

You know - Specs- I hope you reconsider with some of the shows around here.  While there's some literary criticism and some full fledged reviews, most of the time these days (perhaps because we no longer are a single-show community) we all just kinda chime in here and there with whatever strikes us as interesting.  It would be great to have you around the rest of the board. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#56 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,338 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Cool idea.  I'll participate.

What is your all time favorite TV show and why?
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#57 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks, QT. :)

Mary Rose: What is your all time favorite TV show and why?

It's a tie between Buffy and the first few seasons of Saturday Night Live with the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players--Radner, Belushi, Murray, etc.  

I just thought Buffy was brilliant--funny and provocative and creative. And I guess I felt the same way about the first seasons of SNL.

#58 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

6. Specs, is there any particular type of music you like? Any favorite artists or composers or styles?

7. You are traveling to Chicago and hope to take in the Sears Tower, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum of Natural History, the Chicago Art Institute, Wrigley Field, and the Shedd Aquarium. You may not have time to see all six. Rank them in the order in which you'll visit in case time runs out. EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS!!!
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#59 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

Assuming money and time was no issue, which (top) three countries would you like to visit and why? :)

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 10 July 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#60 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

Okay, here's one from a former Pennsylvanian---I used to live in between Pittsburgh and Butler, years ago, when I was in high school. My school bus stop was right on Route 8...;)

What do you find most beautiful in Pittsburgh, or Western Pennsylvania in general, or both? :)

Peridot
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Spectacles, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users