Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Universal Health Care Seeks To Exclude Abortion...

Health Care Abortion Exclusion 2009

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

So this is a continuation of what the anti-abortion forces did with Medicaid back in the 70s--and with U.S. family planning aid abroad under Bush. I guess it's not surprising--but just as disturbing.

I suppose they'll win this one. There's plenty of precedent, unfortunately. Withholding of taxpayer money for abortions is one consistent victory they've managed, either legislatively (Hyde amendment to Medicaid) or by executive order (Bush's denying foreign aid to any family planning agency that provided abortion, even if the money were earmarked for education and contraception.)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#42 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

Yup there is precedent.  But I also think this goes further because it's not like the government is, for example, running a womens' health clinic and telling the clinic they can't offer free abortions if they want federal or state money (btw, and just for the record, I find that idea appalling).  It's telling individuals that they can't choose a private insurer that offers abortion if they want government aid in paying for it.  Even more disturbing is that they're effectively coercing EMPLOYERS to not choose providers to cover abortions, which in turn will coerce PROVIDERS to simply not cover abortion.  So it's an insidious way of truly imposing anti abortion in the private sector through the back door.
Posted Image

#43 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 9 2009, 09:34 AM, said:

Yup there is precedent.  But I also think this goes further because it's not like the government is, for example, running a womens' health clinic and telling the clinic they can't offer free abortions if they want federal or state money (btw, and just for the record, I find that idea appalling).  It's telling individuals that they can't choose a private insurer that offers abortion if they want government aid in paying for it.  Even more disturbing is that they're effectively coercing EMPLOYERS to not choose providers to cover abortions, which in turn will coerce PROVIDERS to simply not cover abortion.  So it's an insidious way of truly imposing anti abortion in the private sector through the back door.
What Lil said.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#44 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

^ How does this coerce employers? AFAIK, the government is not subsidizing health insurance received through employers. It may tax it though.

The subsidies are for when someone below a certain level of income ($40,000?) purchases a health insurance plan on their own

Edited by Palisade, 09 July 2009 - 11:53 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#45 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

Well we don't know all the specifics of the plan or what it will look like if and when it goes into action.  People below that income level can still be employed by people who offer insurance.
Posted Image

#46 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

^ I think that employers will either pay enough percentage of the premiums to avoid the "play or pay" fine or they'll drop their health insurance plan(s) entirely.

Edited by Palisade, 09 July 2009 - 01:05 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#47 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

And they'll drop like flies.
Weeeeee, choice!

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, Abortion Exclusion, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users