8 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Spoilers

David is arrested for treason and Silas puts the trial in Jack’s hands. Meanwhile, an unexpected medical condition pulls Michelle away from David’s trial and brings her closer to Rose.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

<mock> change? <mock> change? mistakes in the name of vanity?

regret

Getting subversive much?
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 plot mechanic

plot mechanic
  • Islander
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

There is a line in the show trial where the prosecution alleges that Lawrence Hannon (sp.?) actually blew up the Goliath with a remote. L. Hannon, right?

In the old testament, buried amongst the begats and other lists that most people seem to skip over, there is the statement that David's warrior Elhanan slew Goliath.

I don't know where this show is ending up but the trip is extraordinary.
Be patient, please: I'm not that bright.

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

It just kills me that something this imaginative in its transformation of and yet faithfulness to that grand melodrama of the Old Testament couldn't hold more than a handful of viewers.  At least we get to see all the episodes.

That final defiance by Jack and outburst by Silas was stunning.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 plot mechanic

plot mechanic
  • Islander
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

As I recall the ratings, it held them quite well, until the network pulled the plug.
This is not a case where the ratings steadily slumped week by week from the premiere.
The ratings were just too low to start with, and never improved.
Nor did the show ever win or even take second in the favored demographic. (The published ones, anyhow.
The ratings studies of income demographics are probably most important of all, but they are proprietary.)
Be patient, please: I'm not that bright.

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

View PostCardie, on Jul 11 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

It just kills me that something this imaginative in its transformation of and yet faithfulness to that grand melodrama of the Old Testament couldn't hold more than a handful of viewers.  At least we get to see all the episodes.

Cardie

Indeed.  But it's still a shame that Silas was so rushed into the role of villain.
Posted Image

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 12 2009, 06:00 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Jul 11 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

Cardie

Indeed.  But it's still a shame that Silas was so rushed into the role of villain.

I kind of saw him as the villain from the start and Silas seeingthe butterflies hovering around David cemented it for me.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

I think it's much more complicated than that. Silas has always struck me as a good man, but one who has become mired down in politics and started believing his own hype. He became a king with a mind toward the responsibilities of the office --not because he wanted it, but because Gilboa needed a strong hand at the reins. He has forgotten that, and the crown is now about power and hanging on to it. Gilboa's wellbeing is just his justification.

Really, all we know about Silas' youth was that David reminds him of who he once was --and that must be a splash of cold water, to see how different he is now from what he was. I get the feeling Silas doesn't like himself very much now that David's here.

I think, more than Michelle's betrayal and David's stealing his prestige, that's what's bothering Silas. He used to be the Hero --not just the celebrity, but the moral superior. Now he's seeing David making the right choice at every juncture (and be appreciated for it), while he himself keeps stumbling along the only path left to him --the path of political expediency (where he's always struggling to keep opinion on his side).

Last episode is where he crossed the line, when he decided to make Jack the crown prince. He's no longer doing what's best for Gilboa, he's pandering. Trying to win back allies with no clear understanding of why they're leaving him in the first place. That's why Jack's "betrayal" hit him so hard.

He's not even doing it for himself --but he no longer knows who he's doing it for. He probably tells himself it's for Gilboa, as it's always been, but he's seeing more and more that Gilboa wants David, that his daughter loves David (apparently more than she loves the vow they both made to serve God's will), that even his ever-ambitious and dissatisfied son acknowledges David as the better man.

I can't see Silas as a villain, but as a victim of himself. I still hold out hope that he will redeem himself. Survive/escape the coup and willingly cede power to Michelle and David, and retire happily to his Serenity. After the good he has done for Gilboa, he deserves that much at least. And even if the Mob has turned on Silas, David will remain loyal to "his" king.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Silas had an extramarrital affair that resulted in another son, he locked up the former King of Carmel and even tried to have David killed after he saw the butterflies make a crown around David's head. So no in my mind Silas isn't victim, he made his own deals in his past that are coming back to haunt him.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users