• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

Are here: http://www.princeton...blications.html

Now I'll be able to find them later.

Here's a slide show he gave at a conference:
Economic Trends in U.S Health Care

Also (another slide show):
WHY ANY HEALTH CARE SYSTEM, AT ANY TIME, ANYWHERE ON EARTH, WILL ALWAYS BE A MESS

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Palisade, 16 July 2009 - 12:30 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 Aric

Aric

Ar1ARX

• Islander
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

Fascinating reading, thanks Palisade.  I was struck by the article discussing the differences between Canada and US health care systems, and the implications that there's a significant socio-cultural element at play that affects how health care is allocated.  I remember in one of my politics classes at univ I read an article that tied together US vs Canada political and cultural history to analyse the kind of societal differences in civil rights & justice, economics, military, social services, political systems and viewpoints, and the like, we see when comparing the two countries, and this article's point that the kind of philosophy that Canada espouses in its culture is reflected in the health care system we use reminded me of those conclusions.  I wonder if attitudes in the US are changing due to the evolving nature of health care, its immense cost makes it hard to manage as a private good, the highly sophisticated, complex, and expensive system that is increasingly pricing individuals and familes out of it, a state of affairs that can really only be solved by treating it as a public good.

I'm curious Palisade, and definitely anyone else who wishes to offer an opinion, what's your thoughts on the American Health Care Plan model Reinhard described, or any variation of the German model of health care (we'll define it as any system in which insurance premiums are collected via payroll tax based on capacity to pay instead of an individual's health care situation, and individuals can choose any insurance company and the calculated premiums are forwarded by the government to the insurance company, it's also detailed in post 246 of the Obama goes there thread)?  I've offered my arguments in the other thread, of course, but I'm definitely interested to hear what others have to say on this kind of system.

Aric

Edited by Aric, 16 July 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#3 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

^ Our current method of routing financial resources is no worse than the 'perfectly efficient' and 'optimal' network that routes people from their homes to where they work.

http://mrbarlow.word...jams-explained/

Edited by Palisade, 16 July 2009 - 03:37 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, Dr. Reinhard, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users