• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

The man who stood, for me, as the symbolism of what Journalism should be has died.

Updated 5 minutes ago at MSMBC

Famed CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite dies at 92, known as “most trusted man in America.”

'Scuse me while I go cry.

Edited by Shalamar, 17 July 2009 - 07:35 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

Mark: (sighs) It's been a helluva month.   :headshake:  He was a grandfather to the nation, and when he was broadcasting, we were all sure everything he was telling us was the truth as he understood it. Personally, I don't think he would have ever knowingly reported something he didn't believe to be factual. I miss that in journalism today...and I'll miss Walter Cronkite being here with us humans, if nothing else but to reassure use.
He didn't have to say anything to have a calming effect.  He just did.

By the way...he was the voice we all were listening to as the first man set foot on the moon. I was 6 years old, living in an apartment in Mesquite, Texas. I was in first grade. God, that was a great time be growing up.

Edited by Mark, 17 July 2009 - 07:42 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

:(
Posted Image

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

He was the voice of a number of generations. :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

I just logged in, and the moment I saw his name mentioned, I knew what this thread was about. :(

Rest in peace, Uncle Walty. You did good. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

View PostMark, on Jul 17 2009, 07:39 PM, said:

Mark: (sighs) It's been a helluva month.   :headshake:  He was a grandfather to the nation, and when he was broadcasting, we were all sure everything he was telling us was the truth as he understood it. Personally, I don't think he would have ever knowingly reported something he didn't believe to be factual. I miss that in journalism today...and I'll miss Walter Cronkite being here with us humans, if nothing else but to reassure use.
He didn't have to say anything to have a calming effect.  He just did.

By the way...he was the voice we all were listening to as the first man set foot on the moon.<snip>

What Mark said.  Though I wasn't alive back then, I did hear his reports for CBS in the early '80s until he retired.

Here's the reportShal saw.

Cronkite’s longtime chief of staff, Marlene Adler, said Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. at his Manhattan home surrounded by family.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#7 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

It's like losing a dear Uncle or something.  He had a rich and long life and he made our lives richer too.  RIP

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#8 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

*sigh* "That's the way it is."

R.I.P. Uncle Walter.

#9 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

I once met Walter Cronkite at Edwards Air Force Base in California more than 25 years ago for one of the first landings of the space shuttle.  He was an enormous fan and advocate of America's space program.  How appropriate he left this mortal coil during the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, which he regarded as one of the greatest achievements of the human species.

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Rest in peace. What a way to go, being the most trusted man of our time.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

Actually I didn't see that at all just the update that I posted. One of my friends on another board was tabbed to 'live stream' and posted it as 'unconfirmed' and I clicked to MSNBC and saw the line that I quoted.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

When I think about it I think he maybe the last of the Great Journalist.

So Sad.

And that's the way it is.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#14 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

I was at the gym when I read the closed captioned announcement on the four t.v. sets spaced around the room that Walter Cronkite had died.   I had to stop reading or I would have burst into tears.  I grew up watching him.  He was the trusted Uncle Walter who we turned to for comfort when Kennedy was assinated, when we went to the Moon, and when he said that the Vietnam War was unwinnable, the American public collectively gasped and then agreed with him.  

Does anyone remember that great t.v. show he did "You are There"?  He was an investigative reporter who did on the scene reports about various important times and people in history.  You learned about history.  What a wonderful show that was.

He was the last great journalist.  After he retired, the news was never the same.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

View PostEnkephalen, on Jul 18 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Does anyone remember that great t.v. show he did "You are There"?  He was an investigative reporter who did on the scene reports about various important times and people in history.  You learned about history.  What a wonderful show that was.
That's right!    :)

He was the last great journalist.  After he retired, the news was never the same.
That is too.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Walter Cronkite, Journalist, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users