#1 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

It's time once again for a new OTer of the Week! First, the boilerplate:

Drew: Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3.  To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically  disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to  see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a  successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes  awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a cute li'l bio  like [Shalamar] did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

And now, I'm pleased to turn over the position to our next honoree, Shalamar. Here's the bio she kindly provided:

Lets see the pertinent facts. I was born at 9:09 September 18, 1954 –  but I'm not sure whether it was morning or night, as the 'Official  Original' of my birth certificate was inadvertently destroyed by the  state. (Ooops!) I was adopted through a private adoption - My  biological mother had been Dearest's (my mother's mother) social  secretary for a time and she had become close to the family. My mom and  dad drove more than nine hours to Houston once they were called and  told that labor had begun. My folks have shown me this love through out  my life - I got the best parents in the world out of the deal.

Native  Texan and proud of it, even if we did spend the first four years in the  back of beyond nowhere in Louisiana then we moved back to Houston. I've  lived in Austin, San Antonio, Lubbock and Waco – just keep coming back  to Space City oh the Bayou.

I inherited a bad roll of the genetic dice though. I have Peuts Jegher Syndrome but luck rebounded there too - my mom knew  something was wrong with me and took me to doctor after doctor.  Refusing to be put off, she pestered them till she found one who had  just returned from studying this rather rare condition in Europe. Did I  mention I've got a kick ass mom? I've had multiple surgeries through  out my life, but I keep on ticking, despite other major health concerns  and some not so minor accidents – I am a klutz, and accident prone  (Huge wry grin)

They put me on a tiny pony when I was three or  so, one of those itinerate travelling photographers and I was hooked on  horses. Falling off a fat toffee hued cob named Falstaff at age five  just cemented the adoration. They trusted him, and me, enough that they  were letting me ride him unsupervised -bare back, no tack at all  actually - out in a grassy forty acre field. He was so sleek and glossy  that I kept sliding off him, landing flat on to my butt, whooping with  laughter and dragging myself back on. Again, and again, and again, from  morning till the late summer sunset.

I badgered my parents  mercilessly for nearly a year before they enrolled me in riding  lessons. I got lucky, once again. The instructor, a well respected  local horsewoman, went on to become one of the most notable gaited  horse trainers in the nation. One of the best teachers it has ever been  my pleasure to study under, Mrs. Foxx passed on to me skills, and  attitudes, that I still retain to this day. And from that point on I  owned horses until my health has made it impossible. I ride English,  saddle seat, jumping and dressage, side saddle, western, and drive  harness.

I went to parochial schools (Catholic school ) up  through eighth grade, then made sure I flubbed the entrance exam into  the Catholic High school. The neighborhood public high school had a  national reputation, and I wouldn't have to wear uniforms – though  really the not wearing another plaid monstrosity was what hooked me. I  was accepted into Texas A&M in their pre- veterinary program, but I  looked at the math requirements and about fainted. I'm dyslexic with  numbers! I went to Texas Tech intending to major in Interior Design. I  never got my degree though. Stupidly got married and dropped out of  college when I dropped out of the very bad marriage. I've been married  twice since then, the last was a polyamorous union.

Throughout  the years I have held a variety of jobs – veterinary surgical  technician, office manager, Mrs. Fields manager, movie theater manager,  assistant to the Artistic Director, survey taker, cab driver, phone  center customer service agent among many others. Though currently I am  on SSD, and waiting for surgery to fix my right foot and ankle and  maybe I can get off of it and get a job once again. ( Crosses Fingers )

I  became involved in cat rescue in my twenties and have rescued,  fostered, and rehabbed more than I can count. My specialty was hand  raising orphans – there were springs where there were as many as thirty  kittens – ranging from just born to eight weeks - regarding me as  'Mommy!'. I got very proficient in sleeping in two hour shifts. Though  now I am down to the last two of what were once "My Three Sons" - Poot  and Scamper Monster Paws.

My current hobbies are reading, RPing, and more reading. I haven't turned the TV on in close to eighteen months,
Thanks, Shal! There's a whole lot to explore there; I'll kick things off with a few initial questions:

1. You mentioned being introduced to horses at a young age, but what was it that drew you to cats? Do you consider caring for cats and riding/caring for horses to be very different areas of interest, or are there common threads that might not be apparent to, say, someone like me who loves dogs but knows little about cats and less about horses? :)

2. One of the reasons I thought of you for OTer of the Week is because you're someone I sometimes disagree with very strongly, and at other times agree with very strongly. :D I'm curious how you would characterize your politics. Do you subscribe to any particular political philosophies, and/or do you have particular issues about which you feel especially passionate?

3. RPing is role-playing, right? :) What kind of RPing do you do? (I always wanted to get into D&D, and even had a few friends who were talented dungeon masters, but every time we tried to get a group together it always fell apart after a session or two, usually thanks to other players who wanted to make sure everyone knew they were too cool to take the game seriously. :rolleyes: )

4. What are some of your favorite books? What subjects do you like to read about?

5. I liked one of Sparky's questions to me so much that I'm gonna steal it: How well does your online persona match up with your real life personality?

{{{Shal}}} I've got my fingers crossed for your foot and ankle surgery too! :)

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

I know all I need to know about ya, but wanted to give my support for the surgery too. :) :hugs: Shal :hugs:

Edited by RommieSG, 27 July 2009 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

1. You mentioned being introduced to horses at a young age, but what was it that drew you to cats? Do you consider caring for cats and riding/caring for horses to be very different areas of interest, or are there common threads that might not be apparent to, say, someone like me who loves dogs but knows little about cats and less about horses?

My family has aways had pets, cats and dogs both, and while I love both - all animals really - I feel more drawn to cats than dogs. I've never felt that a dog can be my friend - they have too much of a need for a hierarchy to be happy in a friendship. While a cat feels he is an equal and able to be friends.

Breaking in to say this - I will say that there are very few similarities between taking care of horses and cats – then going on.

Yes I know horses are herd animals and are best trained by a trainer that takes the place of / becomes the herd mare, the real leader of the band. But there is a difference there that I can sense but not put into words to well. Save maybe like this -- horses have the need to trust more than they need to have a leader. When you put a horse to jumping an obstacle, they can’t see it once they have gotten within a certain distance – they are trusting you to tell them when to take off, to launch themselves over the object. Horses, like all prey animals have an incredibly strong flight instinct, but they allow their handler to take them past what would be the scariest of things without flinching, because they trust.

And the rider trusts that the horse – a half ton or more of muscle – will respond to direction given through the flimsiest of methods or objects – the shifting of weight / pressure of seat against a saddle, the tap of heels against ribs, the tug of reins on a bit – because even the harshest of aides- the hardest whipping spiked spurs or the vilest of bits can ONLY produce pain, they can not ever, ever over power the horse.

Both are putting their lives, or so they perceive, in each others hands. And oh the bonds that trust forges. It can’t be replicated by anything else or so I feel.

2. One of the reasons I thought of you for OTer of the Week is because you're someone I sometimes disagree with very strongly, and at other times agree with very strongly.  I'm curious how you would characterize your politics. Do you subscribe to any particular political philosophies, and/or do you have particular issues about which you feel especially passionate?

Oh that’s a huge can of worms. I believe that the smallest government possible – and one with the smallest, least intrusive bureaucracy at that- is how it would/ should be. I think the definition of classical liberalism fits me best. My family raised me to be very conservative financially, but very liberal socially.

What I am passionate about are the right to bear arms, the right to my own body, states rights over federal rights and powers  -and I am very much against the whole ‘nanny state’ concept. I do NOT believe that it is right for the government to take care of us ‘cradle to grave’ and I believe that we do ourselves a disservice by expecting such – I believe that it weakens us and heads us towards a nasty distopia.

. RPing is role-playing, right?  What kind of RPing do you do?

Yes it does, and I’ve been doing it since about 1975, just after the first boxed set of D&D came out. I am a story teller at heart, and really the best role playing is about telling a cooperative story, every one bringing characters to life - not just something card board cut out but real people with every thing that makes people so interesting.
Specific styles/ systems - D&D, AD&D, Traveller, Space Opera, Bureau 13, Elf Quest, MS&PI, Call of C'thullu, Rune Quest, Star Wars Role Playing System, GURPS ( I was part of the Beta test for that as I was friends with Steve Jackson through the SCA); scads of Home Grown systems... though I can pretty much say I Hate the latest D&D - the Wizards of the Coast D20 system.

I’ve rather much given up on humanity, but in an odd way RPing keeps reminding me how fascinating people really are, how complex they are and how much good we do have inside us – in spite of ourselves.

4. What are some of your favorite books? What subjects do you like to read about?

I’ll read nearly anything. Sometimes I think I am addicted to reading. I’m dyslexic with numbers and it does cross over some what into words, but as a young child I was a very poor reader. My mother made me read aloud to her every day, and at first I loathed it beyond measure. Then one day something just flipped on, and I could see more than the jumble – and huge, immense doors opened up and well, chuckle.  I devour books!

Sci-Fi, fantasy, mysteries, adventure/ thrillers, history and alternate histories, reference works to coffee table books.  The Tom Swift books, the works of Asimov, Heinlein, Norton and Doc Smith introduced me to science fiction, Poe to horror, Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys to mystery.

I think my favorite books are Hanta Yo, by Ruth Bebe Hill, Shogun by Cavell, Patriot Games by Clancy-- All of which I have read multiple copies to flinders—as well as  the early books of Vachess’s Burke series and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

Last but certainly not least:

5. I liked one of Sparky's questions to me so much that I'm gonna steal it: How well does your online persona match up with your real life personality?

I think I am more careful on line. I communicate so much by looks and in turn observe so much of the subtle communication activities that can’t be replicated on line– the twitch of an eyebrow, the quirk of a lip, the tone of my voice – the sardonic quip, the question ‘rise/ inflection’ when the actual words aren’t question, the hand gestures, and body posture.
(I grew up taking jazz, baton, ballet, and interpretative dance  – where body movement tells a story as much as any words.  Some where there is, heavens forbid, a picture of me in a pink poodle tutu at age three – and my mother won’t tell me where she has it hidden- meep! )

Thank you both Dev and Rommie for the good wishes.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

Thoughts when one can’t sleep often are the clearest…

Dev you asked me about what it was about horses as different from cats, and I’ll throw in dogs.

With a dog you get subservience, with a cat you get friendship, but with a horse?

You get a partner. And something every horse crazy little girl secretly knows- Horses love to dance.

Horses don’t race cause they’re ‘made to’ – that is a sheerly ridiculous notion when you look at the physical dynamics of it.( as I’ve mentioned before ) Race horses weigh about a 1000 pounds, jockeys don’t tip the scales at much ( a pound or two ) over a hundred. Horses race each other in open fields, running, and racing for the unfettered pleasure of it whether any human is around or not.

The famous Haute Ecole, the ‘Airs Above Gound’ are all moves horses do on their own - in play and competition for mares. All humans do is teach them to do them when asked, and to do it in the safest manner possible. We can’t force them, they do them because they want to.

A dancing queen and that is one horse that is enjoying herself!

Just a side note: You can put the most bullied, least confident child aboard a horse and watch them light up – the power hooks them, the sense of being able to control something so big, so powerful – then they learn that it’s really a partnership – and that holds them, often for life.
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

Horses absolutely can be compelled to perform unnaturally by the effective combination of cruelty, pain and the heirarchy psychology.  That type of eventing or dressage or dancing that you linked to - that's not accomplished by chains/weights or soring, is it?
I recall William Shatner got booed at an event I attended once under suspicion he acheived his exaggerated gaits with his Saddlebreds this way.  I don't think he was ever investigated.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Shal :cool:

Dev- question thief! :o Just kidding :D You're helping me not to sound like a broken record :hehe:

Questions:

Have you ever travelled abroad? If time and money and health were all no issue, where, if anywhere, would you go?

Who is the most influential person in your life?

What made you interested in politics?

[steals Lil's question :whistle: ] What are your views on spirituality/religion?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

Nittany Lioness - you are very sadly correct - horse can be and have been horrifically abused that way - they do like to please those they have given their trust to

While I have not done as much horse rescue as cat rescue I have worked with groups and individuals - both slaughter rescue and abuse rescue.

I'm not up on Shattner's record but it was actually the abuse - well near abuse- that  I witnessed at times on the show circuit that got me in to recue work. The areas of horse showing/ training where one finds these evil training practises are among the gaited horses - Saddlebreds, Walking Horses, and occasionally Hackneys. Not Dressage.

And I have always thought that the onus goes squarely on the judges. IF they did not award those exagerated gaits then the culture that produced the abuse would not have come about.

a light chain, properly fitted  - does not injure physicaly or psychologically distress the horse is an acceptable aide - like a human wearing a weighted wrist band when they exercise - and produces equally lovely gaits - it just takes more work on the trainers and riders part - and sadly humans tend to be lazy, slipshod and careless on a general level. Humans can be scum.

That culture is crumbling now- for a decade or so now -going away as it never should have been - as the regulatory bodies are banning such tactics. HUGE YAY!

Watch that video again - that little mare is enjoying herself - what dressage does is aid the horse in developing and expressing their natural athleticism.

LOL Sparky, you can't expect to have a great question not snabbled up

Have you ever travelled abroad?

As my high school graduation gift my parents sent me to Europe for the summer - to study. It was a course on comparative governments  for college credits - there were 300 of us from across the US with teachers and chaperones in tow as we hit England ( London – Rose Hill to be exact ), France ( got mugged in Paris ), Finland ( Helsinki - absolutely lovely ), took an 18 hour train ride into the USSR- over a Sunday – no food or drink available, soldiers in every car who wouldn’t say word one to us - St. Petersburg and Moscow - had an official Intourist Guide that we couldn't go anywhere without - but that didn't stop us from sneaking out and trading gum, chocolate, jeans, and Frisbees with the equally curious local teens.- in the plaza outside of Lenin’s tomb I traded a bulk pack of Wrigley’s Double Mint gum to a army colonel for his uniform’s belt buckle – I am pretty sure we both thought we got the best of the deal LOL -  Then via Aeroflot ( the cabins weren’t very well pressurized and the stewardesses handed out chewing gum to help us pop our ears) to Poland ( Warsaw ) then to Switzerland and lastly another marathon by train down Italy to Rome. Where my section – some thirty of us specifically from Texas - went to dinner, our chaperones got blotto and we spent hours wandering dead lost around Rome -from midnight till dawn. It was rather both specifically then and over all an eye opener, but I loved every minute of it. Europe was fascinating.

If time and money and health were all no issue, where, if anywhere, would you go?

Japan, Egypt, the Serengeti, I’d travel Ireland and Spain by horseback

Who is the most influential person in your life?

I would have to say my mother’s mother as transmitted through my mother – My mother and I have not always had a good relationship, much less an easy one, but it has been an invaluable one for me. We do not see eye to eye and never will, but Dearest, who died at 101 was a remarkable woman and passed that on to my mom – and my mom has taught me so much about inner strength, grace under pressure, how to be utterly unflappable in the face of any and everything, and knowing that no matter how much you want to keep on trying that sometimes you have to give up and let go – but that doesn’t keep you from trying your heart out.

Dearest got an MA back in a day and age that women scarcely went to college, she married a man twenty years her senior, ran successful hotels and ranches, was the first woman in the state to own and fly her own airplane, and my aunt- mom’s youngest sister - is only ten years older than me. When she died she was survived by three children, 17 grandchildren, and nearly forty great grandchildren. ( None of which are mine - I'm the only one with out kids, most every one else has at least three-  LOL )

What made you interested in politics?

For my advanced history/ politics/ government class we were required to volunteer for the presidential elections – I chose the Nixon campaign. That was the first and last time I willingly had anything to do with politics.

What are your views on spirituality/religion?

I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, but as I like to say ‘It never took” I never felt engaged, never bonded with the religion. Oh I was baptized as an infant, went through Confirmation but it was going through the motions that were expected of a child who wasn’t distressed enough by it all to fight my mother over it.

I consider myself profoundly spiritual though -In high school I found my way bit by bit to Wicca, though I never found a coven – just individuals who were willing to discuss and explain. In later years I did find covens to work with and enjoyed worshiping and learning with them, but I am essentially a solitary person, and hold many other views and practices that come from outside Wicca – I celebrate the Divine in many ways and down many paths. There are many ways to rejoin the wholeness, the unity which we have left by coming here to visit time and don the raiments of mortality, and who am I to say that any one of them is false.

Edited by Shalamar, 28 July 2009 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:17 AM

View PostShalamar, on Jul 28 2009, 01:26 AM, said:

My family has aways had pets, cats and dogs both, and while I love both - all animals really - I feel more drawn to cats than dogs. I've never felt that a dog can be my friend - they have too much of a need for a hierarchy to be happy in a friendship. While a cat feels he is an equal and able to be friends.
I can definitely understand that. I used to dislike cats because I felt like it was so much work to get them to like you. Why would you bother having a pet that might end up ignoring you and treating you with disdain? Then I realized that as a result, it means something when they do befriend you -- whereas a dog is pretty much hardwired to want everyone to love him, so it's no big achievement if he actually does. :)

Though that's actually why I'm a dog person -- because they're these animals who basically evolved simply to love and be loved by us, and there's something I find really beautiful and humbling about that.

2. One of the reasons I thought of you for OTer of the Week is because you're someone I sometimes disagree with very strongly, and at other times agree with very strongly.  I'm curious how you would characterize your politics. Do you subscribe to any particular political philosophies, and/or do you have particular issues about which you feel especially passionate?

Oh that's a huge can of worms. I believe that the smallest government possible – and one with the smallest, least intrusive bureaucracy at that- is how it would/ should be. I think the definition of classical liberalism fits me best. My family raised me to be very conservative financially, but very liberal socially.
Interesting. It sounds a lot like libertarianism, too.

. RPing is role-playing, right?  What kind of RPing do you do?
Yes it does, and I've been doing it since about 1975, just after the first boxed set of D&D came out. I am a story teller at heart, and really the best role playing is about telling a cooperative story, every one bringing characters to life - not just something card board cut out but real people with every thing that makes people so interesting.
I totally agree. I never saw the appeal of games like Magic: The Gathering, which seemed like all the boring parts of RPing (keeping track of statistics! doing math!) with all the fun character-building parts taken out.

Except for my abortive attempts at D&D, the only non-computer RP-related thing I was ever involved in was a Star Trek "RPG" that was basically a round robin story in which each of us was primarily responsible for writing one particular character. (My character was a Bajoran woman who'd been traumatized by an encounter with a Cardassian operative in her youth that nearly killed her, and over the course of the story she discovered that it actually did kill her -- that she was actually the Cardassian operative, implanted with the dead Bajoran girl's memories.) There were no stats or die rolls or anything, just people writing scenes one after another, and it was a blast.

New question from the media nerd in me: Was it a conscious choice of yours to give up TV, or was it just something that sort of happened? Is there anything on the tube that you miss?

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

I still absolutely love your av Shal - so my question is: did you make it yourself?

That Europe trip sounds awesome :D

Japan, Egypt, the Serengeti, I’d travel Ireland and Spain by horseback

Any plans to do those?

Do you have any life ambitions (whether they are works in progress or completely unstarted)?

Sparky

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Dev F

Was it a conscious choice of yours to give up TV, or was it just something that sort of happened? Is there anything on the tube that you miss?

It's actually been longer than just 18 months - getting out of the 'habit' started about the time Andromeda went into season 3, didn't find anything good on on the regular channels, so it wasw mostly the Discovery or History channel then the cable went out for a while and the landlord wouldn't let the repairmen into the shared attic to get to the problem, and *shrug* by the time the new landlord did - our town house complex had new owners roughly every six months or so - just too much trouble.

And yeah I've heard about shows that sounded somewhat interesting but nothing enought to pull me from the books and my computer.

Sparky - Thanks - I love this av - but no I didn't make it - I don't have the skills for something like this.

Any plans to do those?

Only in my dreams - money and health are rather keeping me grounded.

Do you have any life ambitions (whether they are works in progress or completely unstarted)?

No, I've never really had any over arcing life ambitions - right now those I do have are rather mundane - get a car with hand controls so I can begin to drive again; get through the surgery and rehab so that I can get a job again; make it past 57.

Posted Image

#11 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

So, Shal, what kind of music do you dig?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#12 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Shal, if you want to check out a show that sounds interesting, most of them can now be legally accessed through your computer, using hulu or one of the network sites.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#13 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Music? I love music that soars, and sweeps one up - the core of this piece is found earlier in the movie under the title of "Take Us Out" and Jerry Goldsmith never did a soundtrack that I didn't like

The Final Game / Rudy Soundtrack

Concerto de Aranjuez ( Rodrigo )
Ode to Joy (Bach)
almost every thing the Eagles ever did;( Seven Bridges Road )
Appalachian Spring and Fanfare for the Common Man - both the original by Aaron Copeland and the rock version by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Pirates by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Nostradamus by Al Stewart, and Road to Moscow
much of Disco  - I'm a 70's Dancing Queen fool
every thing Lorena McKennitt - especially her Book of Secrets album  - back when I still could  - Marco Polo for fast Beladi dancing and Night Ride Across the Caucasus for slow

and for giggles I also like Vampire Club

And yeah Cardie, I know about Hulu, just have never taken the time to go there

Posted Image

#14 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

Lady Shalamar - I am so sorry to be giving your thread such little notice.  I am really challenged for time here.  I hope, if I can't get here this week that you will indulge my late participation next week.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#15 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:10 AM

What is your favorite breed of cat?

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

every thing Lorena McKennitt - especially her Book of Secrets album

I have Elemental- I got it because it has She moved through the fair and Blacksmith on it :)

Concerto de Aranjuez  - that's one of the few Classical pieces I actually *like* lol. But it's fantastic.

I love music that soars, and sweeps one up

Given this description and the fact that you like Concerto de Aranjuez, do you like Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams? Or Grieg's Morning Mood? Some other classical pieces that I (uncharacteristically) like :look:

Sparky

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

Sparky, Oh how could I have forgotten Peer Gynt/ Morning Mood - yes !

Cardie - Like NL, I adore the big, burly, fabulously furry breeds of cats like 'Wegies, and Coons - Norwegian Forest Cats and Maine Coons - It's nothing short of fun to try and pick up 20 odd pounds or so of furiously purring furball.

Posted Image

#18 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

View PostShalamar, on Jul 27 2009, 11:26 PM, said:

Yes it does, and I’ve been doing it since about 1975, just after the first boxed set of D&D came out. I am a story teller at heart, and really the best role playing is about telling a cooperative story, every one bringing characters to life - not just something card board cut out but real people with every thing that makes people so interesting.
Specific styles/ systems - D&D, AD&D, Traveller, Space Opera, Bureau 13, Elf Quest, MS&PI, Call of C'thullu, Rune Quest, Star Wars Role Playing System, GURPS ( I was part of the Beta test for that as I was friends with Steve Jackson through the SCA); scads of Home Grown systems... though I can pretty much say I Hate the latest D&D - the Wizards of the Coast D20 system.

What don't you like about the new D&D system? I just recently got into D&D, so it's kinda the only thing I know. How is it different, for you, than the older games?
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#19 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

It's unnecessarily complicated- it is not intuitive, not smooth to learn and use - It calls it'self the D20 system, when it still usese all the other dice. Yes I have used systems far more complex but they didn't feel jury rigged - and trying to be everything to every player -like this one does.

But then again I don't like GURPS for exactly the opposite reason - as it's too simplified.

My gaming group has used a heavily modified AD&D system for years and we are all comfortable with it( mana system & not spell memorization, tech levels added in and such, expanded skills list, a couple of added stats, decently workable psionics set up etc )

Edited by Shalamar, 02 August 2009 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

What made you stop watching television?

I was looking for a mention of fire arms somewhere and didn't find it.  I know this is one of your buttons here at OT so I'll ask, how did you develop your stance on gun rights and any limitation on the right to own guns?

Lil
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Shalamar, 2010, Obituaries, Member

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users