• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

I vaguely remember that you collected stuffed animals like Anita Blake in LK Hamilton's novels. Wasn't it penguins? And do you still collect them?

Oh, and yes, I'm still collecting Stuffed Tigers. Just 'liberated' two today from the Goodwill. :happy:
Posted Image

#22 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

What made you stop watching television?

I think in the end mostly just lack of shows that held my interest, and a preference for reading

I was looking for a mention of fire arms somewhere and didn't find it. I know this is one of your buttons here at OT so I'll ask, how did you develop your stance on gun rights and any limitation on the right to own guns?

I grew up in a hunting household, where my dad taught me and my younger brothers to respect guns, how to handle them properly and how to be a real hunter. I have never been 'afraid' of guns, though I have been afraid of people who have pointed guns at me. The gun may fire the bullet, but it is the person who pulls the trigger.

Hunting is an enjoyable sport, when practiced properly and is good for the environment – over . **
Shooting targets is equally fun and great for building eye hand coordination.

I very strongly believe that the citizenry having guns is an important deterrence to government encroachment - and equally important it gives us the power to defend ourselves against those who would make us victims.

Criminals will always have and be able to get guns, I want to make sure that honest citizens can have guns as well

This is not something I talk about lightly, but there have been events in my past where I was certain enough to make the judgment that mine and or another’s life was more valuable than the person(s) threatening me/us. If I had not had a gun, I very well might not be here posting this. I refuse to be a victim.

I believe in a certain level of gun control, yes. I believe that most felons, illegal aliens, and even those with certain misdemeanors - should be denied the legal right to own fire arms. I believe that fire arm safety must become a part of school curriculums.

**Just to mention I am also good with archery – bow hunting and the smaller pistol crossbows. I love stalking. Most of the time I never shot at my target – it is fun just having and honing the skills to get up close.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#23 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

I vaguely remember that you collected stuffed animals like Anita Blake in LK Hamilton's novels. Wasn't it penguins? And do you still collect them?

She collected Penguins, Me ? I collect tigers, cats, leopards, lions, cougars...ya get the picture

Oh, and yes, I'm still collecting Stuffed Tigers. Just 'liberated' two today from the Goodwill

Yay for stuffie liberation!
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

View PostRommieSG, on Aug 2 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

When I first read this I was "There are Anita Blake stuffed dolls?"  :o
Posted Image

#25 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on Aug 2 2009, 10:02 PM, said:

View PostRommieSG, on Aug 2 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

When I first read this I was "There are Anita Blake stuffed dolls?"  :o
I'd be all over that faster than a jackrabbit on a hot date!!
Posted Image

#26 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

LOL Lil, - though in the books I could see a vodoun practicioner making little Anita dolls - though in that 'universe' might that not be considered 'stalking'?

Edited by Shalamar, 03 August 2009 - 12:21 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Bumping to remember Shalamar's accomplishments - She tells us about her life - nobody better.  
I see she was 56 if my math is right.

She was a vet surgery tech and nursed orphans kittens.  Must not have gotten much sleep for years!

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

^

Thank you, Nittany.

:cool:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#29 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

I'm so glad we have these OT'er of the week threads, especially now.  One of Drew's good ideas, and it gives us Shal's life in her own words.  Yep, thanks Nittany, this was a good read [again] and for some reason it takes a little of the sting away.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Shalamar, 2010, Obituaries, Member

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users