Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

OTer of the Week # 5 - Certifiably Cait!

OT'er of the week Cait 2009

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

View PostEnkephalen, on Aug 4 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

Cait, thank you for the in depth response to my first question.

You're welcome.  It was an interesting question.

Now, on to something else. . .

If you could spend a quiet afternoon in conversation with someone (anyone living or dead), who would that person be, and why.

If I can only have one I'd pick my son.  I really would give up everything to talk with him just one more time.  An afternoon conversation would be my idea of heaven. *smiles*  It really would.

But, I take it your question was a bit more philosophical in nature, and in that vein, I'd pick Thomas Jefferson.  I would love to quiz him on the Declaration of Independence.  Sure, sure, he was one of the Founders and all, but my fascination with him is The Declaration.  It's philosophy is a masterpiece in my opinion.  We talk about the Constitution all the time, but we celebrate the Declaration every year.  We celebrate it for a pretty good reason.  I would love an afternoon talking with the author of the Declaration.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

I have another question for ya :)

What's the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#23 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 5 2009, 03:37 AM, said:

I have another question for ya :)

What's the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Sparky

You don't mess around do you?!  That's a big question.  LOL  Luckily it's a pretty short answer for me.

I believe the meaning of life is whatever we decide it is.  I really believe that.  Even though I believe there is a higher purpose to "all" of this, I believe that the free will of the individual is the entire point of life as we know it. What choices will each of us make?  What is important or meaningful to each individual?  All fascinating stuff whether you are an atheist, agnostic, spiritualist,  or a deeply religious person.   And, if Free Will is the whole point, then what each of us determines to be the "meaning of life',  is the meaning of [our] life.

I like this belief because it is inclusive.  Even if the individual decides there is no menaing, that is his or her meaning.  When it comes to faith and belief, I prefer theories that include every POV [as much as possible]. I prefer believing that each person will find his or her way no matter how different that path might be from mine.  That they all lead to the same place ultimately--whether we believe it or not.  I believe that faith is not required to find true meaning in life, and that whatever spiritual lessons we may need to learn don't require a believe in the spiritual at all.  We live.  We learn.  We grow.  Whether we believe in God or not is not a requirement in the end.

Source:

#24 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

^ Given that, what do you consider to be the meaning of *your* life?

You don't mess around do you?!

:angel_not:

Sparky

#25 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 5 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

^ Given that, what do you consider to be the meaning of *your* life?

You don't mess around do you?!

:angel_not:

Sparky

Well, I guess I'm still searching for the meaning of my life.  Each time I think I have it figured out, something new surfaces.  It appears to me that I'm on some long journey, and I hope I know when I get to my destination.

The things that have given my life the most meaning have all been educational in some way or another.  I love digging in to a topic or question and discovering an answer.  Not just any answer mind you, but getting to some definitive answer.  Only then do I feel it is meaningful.

The relationships I've had with both family and friends, have meant a great deal to me, but I think they were also part of the journey, the quest for answers, things like that.  I have loved deeply, but I I have enjoyed learning about another just as much as the pleasure of loving.

I have a friend/lover who says I am on some quest for real truth in my life.  That's as close as I can get [in 25 words or less] to the meaning of life for me.  What is true?  For me?  For you?  for Anyone?  The search alone is exciting to me and it gives much meaning to every thing in my life and the lives [as I see them] of others.

Source:

#26 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Thanks :D (Fear not! This post does not come with a major question :hehe: )

Sparky

#27 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

LOL.  Actually, I liked your questions, they were just BIG ones [as in big thoughts in order to answer them.]  :)

Source:

#28 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

*waves at Cait*

:)

What political reforms, if any, would you like to see made in the U.S.?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#29 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Cait, do you enjoy sports - participating and watching?

What is your favorite animal?

What is your favorite season of the year? Favorite Holiday? And why of course

What is your favorite time of day? ( Me I can really enjoy a sunrise - right before I go to bed, I'm a huge night owl)
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#30 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Aug 5 2009, 04:53 PM, said:

*waves at Cait*

:)

What political reforms, if any, would you like to see made in the U.S.?

**waves back [I miss you]**

There are so many...

Interesting question.  You actually mean reforms to our political system right?  Not just reforms politicians need to make in order to  make government efficient?

I would like to see something done about the two party system.  I really would.  But, given the amount of money it takes to run for office, it makes it nearly impossible for a candidate who isn't affiliated with a party to get on a ballot and run for office.  The system itself eliminates its competition.  Good for politicians.  Bad for voters.

I think there are lots of people who would choose public service if it weren't for the damn political parties.  The ruling party has a stranglehold on Congress, the seniority system is inefficient and not part of the Constitution, etc.  I'd like to see the things that political parties have put into our government to maintain their power, eliminated and see if we can't get a return to doing the "business of the people".

I actually think all presidential candidates should run without a party affiliation at all.  Why should the political parties get to determine how our candidates are chosen?  Even voting in a primary follows the DNC or RNC rules, and those rules benefit the Party not the voter.  It's crazy.

If I could, I'd eliminate political parties altogether, but that's only a pipe dream.  Still I would like to see reform in the party system itself.  We're so far away from any benefit to the regular voter that it is depressing.

View PostShalamar, on Aug 5 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

Cait, do you enjoy sports - participating and watching?

I play pool and snooker and some amateur darts, although I'm not good a darts.  I'd self-describe myself as a mediocre dart player.  I'm a smart player, but I don't have the raw talent to be considered good.  However, I am an excellent pool player].  

I love basketball, baseball, and football as a spectator.  I LOVE sports.  I was one of those mothers that kept the score sheet for little league, I went to every game of my son's, and he played all seasons.  I will listen to baseball on the radio if my team is in contention.  I'm sort of a sports nut, now that I think of it.

What is your favorite animal?

I love animals, I'm not sure I could pick a favorite.  Of course cats and dogs.  I used to breed German Shepards when I was first married.  We had 3 dogs I studded out--each for a specific genetic marker.  

I love cats too, and although I don't have any pets now, I grew up with a house full of cats.  My mom loves them and we all loved the cats we had.  Fought over them in fact.  My favorite breed is Siamese.  Although Tabbies will always win my heart too.

I also like horses, and used to go to my uncles as a kid [he had a farm] and I fed the horses, and made sure all the water barrels around the farm were filled with fresh water.  I began riding when I was big enough to saddle a horse on my own [a prerequisite of my uncles] which was around 10 years of age.  I've tended to cows and once even took care of a bunch of runt newborn sheep.  The runts tend to be discarded and a friend of mine took them all in and nursed them to adulthood.  I helped with the feedings and stuff for like 3 months.  She got way too close to them and when her husband took them to auction for slaughter, she about had a nervous breakdown.  

I'm really a total farm girl at heart--living in a  big city and hating it.

What is your favorite season of the year? Favorite Holiday? And why of course

Fall is my favorite, although I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because in LA we don't get season change, except for Fall.  We have a beautiful Fall here in Los Angeles.  I love the vibrant colors, and I'm sooooooooo glad summer is over.  LOL

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.  They are all cool, but I have the best memories of Thanksgiving with family and especially my son.  It's just the best holiday.

What is your favorite time of day? ( Me I can really enjoy a sunrise - right before I go to bed, I'm a huge night owl)

I'm a morning person, and I love the entire morning.  sunrise to about 11AM in the morning.  It's just the best part of the day in my opinion.  I'm alive, feeling rested, lots of energy, and lots of things to do.  I just love the morning.

Source:

#31 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

I too find fall my favorite time of year.

What is your favorite flower?

Do you enjoy cooking, and if you do, what is your favorite recepie? ( Not enjoying cooking any longer is one of my hardest things to handle )

Jeans and sneakers, or more formal wear?

How do you feel about thunderstorms? ( hmmm, the crack of thunder and the splash of lightning! And rain of the roof top - especially a tin one)
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#32 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

View PostShalamar, on Aug 7 2009, 12:07 PM, said:

I too find fall my favorite time of year.

Funny, I thought it might be.  We are so much alike in so many ways,

What is your favorite flower?

Gladiolas.  My son always gave me gladiolas for Mother's Day, and I've been in love with them ever since.  I love the way the bloom on the stem one after another.

Do you enjoy cooking, and if you do, what is your favorite recepie? ( Not enjoying cooking any longer is one of my hardest things to handle )

I used to hate to cook.  Probably because it was my chore growing up.  I used to be a bad cook too.  No two ways about it, I was a bad cook.  Now, I rather enjoy it, and I'm quite good.  I don't know what changed.  My favorite thing to cook is
a chicken/ginger concoction that is my invention.  

Jeans and sneakers, or more formal wear?

Well, I'm partial to skirts and casual tank tops or short sleeved tops, but I think that is still casual.  So, to answer the question--casual over more formal.

How do you feel about thunderstorms? ( hmmm, the crack of thunder and the splash of lightning! And rain of the roof top - especially a tin one)

I used to be really afraid of thunder storm.  I mean neurotic about them in fact.  But somewhere along the line I outgrew my fear [even if it took me well into middle age.] and now I love them and for the same reason you give.. I love the sound of the rain on the roof and ground.  It's very soothing to me.

Source:

#33 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I love the sound of the rain on the roof and ground. It's very soothing to me.

I've heard of a type of Japanese garden, a garden that is centered around the various sounds of rain - the differnt tones of rain on various types of foliage, different rocks or the nuances of a rain drop falling into a pond versus onto hard packed earth. I think it would be fascinating to experience such a garden.

And the scent after the rain...oh my....

Who is your favorite author?

If money and time were no object, where in the world would you like to travel to?

Art- Painting or Sculpture or Photography or ...?

What is your favorite movie?

And what is your secret guilty pleasure? ( Lol you don't have to answer that )

Posted Image

#34 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostShalamar, on Aug 8 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

I love the sound of the rain on the roof and ground. It's very soothing to me.

I've heard of a type of Japanese garden, a garden that is centered around the various sounds of rain - the differnt tones of rain on various types of foliage, different rocks or the nuances of a rain drop falling into a pond versus onto hard packed earth. I think it would be fascinating to experience such a garden.

And the scent after the rain...oh my....

Oh that sounds fascinating.  I'd love to see [and hear] that.

Who is your favorite author?

That's a tough one.  I read so much, and have so many favorites.  If I were deserted on a desert Island, I'd take some Heinlein and Robert Ludlum.  They tend to hold up on the 5th or 100th reading.  LOL.  So, I'd pick those two.

If money and time were no object, where in the world would you like to travel to?

Around the world.  I really would.  But specifically I want to see the pyramids in Egypt.  Something about them is just calling me.  I'd like to see Stonehenge too, but I really want to see Egypt.  

If money were no object, I'd live abroad in Greece though.  I've researched it a lot, they have a democratic government, an American contingent.  Enough people speak English to get along until I learned Greek.  I'd live on one of the Islands and write.  I'd be in heaven.

Art- Painting or Sculpture or Photography or ...?

Another tough one.  I like them all of course, but favor sculpture the most.  I was an avid fan of Rodin when I was only 11.  I love his work so much.  I think it made me favor sculpture more than anything else.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is an old black and white picture, "A Portrait of Jennie" with Joseph Cotton and Jennifer Jones.  Good supporting cast too, with Ethel Barrymore.  It's difficult to explain why it is my favorite without going into this long essay about my childhood, let's just say, I love the theme that we all get a second chance to find love.  It has been my favorite movie since I was 13, and no movie has ever come even close to replacing it.  It's just a movie that means a lot to me.  I cry every time, and I know the ending.  Even so, I still cry almost cathartic tears.  Even if you saw it, you might not think it was good, but I do.

And what is your secret guilty pleasure? ( Lol you don't have to answer that )

LOL, I'll tell a less embarrassing one,  how's that.  I watch General Hospital.  I work from home and take a meal break from 2-3PM and watch general Hospital.  It is bad writing [and mostly over the top acting], and non-stop exposition, but I still watch it.  Come to think of it, maybe it isn't the writing, maybe it is the producers.  They begin a story line and then abandon it.  I think the writers do a good job of changing directions all the time, but for me it is just so insane to follow sometimes.  Anyway, despite all my criticisms--I watch.

Go figure.

Source:

#35 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thank you Cait, so very much for answering all my querstions. I know so much more about you know. It's been a real pleasure learning all of this.

And another OMG ROTFLOL!!moment - back when I watched tv, if I was able to I watched GH too...and oh the changes and twists it's gone through!

Posted Image

#36 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 7 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

My favorite thing to cook is a chicken/ginger concoction that is my invention.
Any chance of the recipe?  Or at least your method of cooking it?  I'm always up for a good ginger dish.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#37 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

Cait - do you have pets?  If so, what kind and how many?  If not, why not?  

If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be?
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#38 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

View PostNonny, on Aug 9 2009, 10:26 AM, said:

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 7 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

My favorite thing to cook is a chicken/ginger concoction that is my invention.
Any chance of the recipe?  Or at least your method of cooking it?  I'm always up for a good ginger dish.   :)

Well, it's not written down, but this is what I do.  Season to taste on it all I guess.

I use a big sauce pan [it's like a big frying pan, only it's not really.]  You need a pot that has a good cover for it.

I cook the chicken in the pan in olive oil--covered.  I don't fry it, I just cook it on the top of the stove.  Just skinless chicken breasts, and boneless if you can.  It's easier.

So, in the pan, I put:

Chicken -2-3 pieces although you could do more I suppose]
Olive Oil
White onions
Ginger Root [fresh root or ginger pieces--not powder]  I peel the ginger root with a potato peeler.
Sweet Basil
Balsamic Vinegar
Garlic
Salt & Pepper [a dash of salt]

Then in another stir pan I stir fry Zucchini and Bottle neck Squash. [use more ginger, olive oil and I put in more garlic, but I love garlic.  You can skip the additional garlic if you don't like it that much.

I dice two fresh tomatoes, and leave them until the end to go on top.

Don't let the squash get over cooked.  It won't spoil the dish, but I think it tastes better just under cooked a little.

When the chicken is done, Pour the whole thing into a serving dish.  Fold in the squash, and garnish it with the tomatoes on top.

umm Yummy.

You can serve it hot, or you can even serve it cold.  I like it both ways.  If you want to serve it cold, put the squash in the refrig while the chicken is cooking.  Once the squash is cold, you can add the tomatoes, and then when the chicken is done and cooled down, you can cut it into bite size pieces and then mix in with the squash and tomatoes.  To get a salad consistency, you can add some more Olive Oil and balsamic vinegar.  But that's not necessary.  I usually don't add anything.  I just let it all cool off.

It really is delicious and great leftovers too.

You can also add pasta if you serve it cold.

Source:

#39 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

View PostShalamar, on Aug 9 2009, 10:04 AM, said:

Thank you Cait, so very much for answering all my questions.

You are very welcome.  It was actually a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

Thanks to everyone who participated.  it was fun.

Source:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Cait, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users