OT'er of the week Bad Wolf 2009

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Thank you Bad Wolf, so very much for agreeing to be our OT'er of the Week.  I realized after talking with you about this, that as long as I've known you, there are still so many things I don't know.

Drew said:

Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like Bad Wolf did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

Bad Wolf said:

Okay.

Erm...I'm Lil (my name is Lillian but people tend to shorten it to Lil). Born and raised in California. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for most of my life though I was born in Blythe (bonus points to anyone who knows what that is). I was raised in a multi cultural household. My mother is Filipino, ended up in Argentina then Mexico after WWII. I learned to speak Spanish at the same time as English though to my chagrin I do not read or write it that well. One day I hope to change that. I have family all over the world: Manila, Mexico, Spain, Argentina, Australia, Canada as well as all over the country. I was raised Catholic and though my parents didn't directly shove it down my throat they allowed our relatives to (when I was spending summers in Mexico City). I have a huge chip on my shoulder about Christianity but in the last few years I've discovered that I need spirituality in my life and luckily I've found it. I've always liked fantasy and SF starting with fairy tales, The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, and Star Trek. I didn't get into fandom until Hercules the Legendary Journeys though since then I've never looked back. I've met numerous people in person that I first got to know on line. I've traveled as far as Australia to do this. I think that the friends I've made through the 'Net shows what the 'Net is really about. My family thinks I'm some kind of leftist bordering on communism but I think I'm left of center on most issues and moderate and even conservative on others. My hot button civil issues are separation of church and state, gay rights and reproductive rights. In terms of issues on which you might find me more conservative I'd say government spending, the idea of a flat tax, and my lack of sympathy for illegal immigrants who are not here due to genuine political persecution.

Let's see, currently I'm on a graphic novel kick because there's so much badly written genre stuff out there. Faves include Preacher, 100 Bullets, Fables, DMZ and Queen and Country. In terms of non "genre authors" my favorites are Jane Austen, Lousia May Alcott, Mark Twain and Dickens (I've read Oliver Twist three times voluntarily and not in school). Authors I'm not in to are Steinbeck and Hemingway (who I think is highly overrated and who to me reads like a drunk rambling without thought of story or grammar). In terms of genre authors I love Neil Gaiman, Tolkien, Joan Vinge, Jim Butcher, Rowling (to name a few).

My taste in most entertainment is pretty eclectic and based pretty much on whether I like it. I know that sounds circular but there it is.

Current favorites: John Barrowman, Torchwood, Doctor Who, True Blood, Dexter, Mad Men. Last movie I paid to see: Harry Potter, which I LOVED. I may pay to see G.I. Joe and am really looking forward to District 9.

So maybe that gives you some inkling.

Lil

1] Other than being an Attorney what other field interested you when you were growing up [or even now]?

2]  Who is / are the greatest influcences in your life?

3]  If power and money were no object, what would you fix in the world first?

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 09 August 2009 - 11:48 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

:o

:rolleyes:

:p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Okay-serious question time (yeah, despite what some of you think, I'm quite capable of being serious :p~ ):

What do you like the most out of being a lawyer? The least? Would you recommend it to people thinking about a career as a lawyer? Why or why not?
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 9 2009, 12:47 PM, said:

:eek:

(GR goes into hiding)

:fear: :bag:
Posted Image

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Bad Wolf said:

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for most of my life though I was born in Blythe (bonus points to anyone who knows what that is).
Blythe is a small town and a big stop on the way to Phoenix from Los Angeles.  Yay, me!    :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

View PostNonny, on Aug 9 2009, 10:39 AM, said:

Bad Wolf said:

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for most of my life though I was born in Blythe (bonus points to anyone who knows what that is).
Blythe is a small town and a big stop on the way to Phoenix from Los Angeles.  Yay, me!    :)

And the hottest place on the planet.  [OK OK, maybe that is an exaggeration, but it is REALLY hot there.]

Source:

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 9 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Aug 9 2009, 10:39 AM, said:

Bad Wolf said:

And the hottest place on the planet.  [OK OK, maybe that is an exaggeration, but it is REALLY hot there.]
And not in the good way.    ;)
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 9 2009, 09:47 AM, said:

1] Other than being an Attorney what other field interested you when you were growing up [or even now]?

Something healing.  Not like medicine but like maybe massage therapy.  Also writing.

2]  Who is / are the greatest influcences in your life?

My mother.  Both positively and negatively.

The imbalances caused by pollution and misuse of natural resources.  If we don't have a world to live in then there's no point worrying about things like hunger, poverty and social injustice.
Posted Image

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

View PostGhost Rider, on Aug 9 2009, 10:09 AM, said:

What do you like the most out of being a lawyer? The least? Would you recommend it to people thinking about a career as a lawyer? Why or why not?

Problem solving/resolution.  And yes, WINNING.

Also I think lawyers help shape public policy no matter what aspect of law they practice.
Posted Image

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Re: Blythe:  yeah but did you just know that or did you have to look it up....;)
Posted Image

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Aug 9 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

Re: Blythe:  yeah but did you just know that or did you have to look it up....;)

No.  I knew it.  You haven't lived until you've blown your radiator near Blythe.  It's quite an experience.  LOL

Source:

#12 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

Lil,

What was your favorite subject in High School?

Vanilla or Chocolate?

Perfect date--A walk along the beach at sunset, or an intimate dinner for two?  

If time and money were not a problem,  what book/script/etc would you sit down and write first?

How have your politics changed over the last 15 years?

Source:

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:49 AM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 9 2009, 10:02 PM, said:

Lil,

What was your favorite subject in High School?

English and History.

Vanilla or Chocolate?

Are we talking ice cream?  ;)

Ice cream or candy chocolate.  I used to put chocolate above all sweets but a couple of years I got food poisoning from a chocolate eclair and for months I didn't even want to smell chocolate.  I'm back to liking it but not like before.  I find myself choosing other things from desert menus, like fruit tarts or pie (pumpkin or pecan) or something like that.  I have no hankering at all for that flourless chocolate cake I used to choose every time though put a slice of german chocolate cake in front of me and I'll gobble it.

Perfect date--A walk along the beach at sunset, or an intimate dinner for two?

Depends.  For a first date I'd say dinner because well, on a first date I'm not sure about walking alone on a beach with some person I don't know.  Call me untrusting but there it is.  Either is a good idea for a date with someone I know because both involve actual opportunity for communicating as opposed to going to sit in a darkened theater for two hours.

If time and money were not a problem,  what book/script/etc would you sit down and write first?

Damn.  My first gut reaction is still a proper story about Nietzscheans.  I'd also write a very different last two episodes of Torchwood Children of Earth.  :(  In terms of original ideas I don't know.  I'm coming to agree with KRAD when he says that there are only about a dozen original story ideas out there and the difference in quality has all to do with execution.  Oh yes, I'd disregard Serenity and write more Firefly.

How have your politics changed over the last 15 years?

I'll have to come back to this but on some issues not at all (like on anything smacking of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or reproductive rights) on others I've gotten more conservative (illegal immigration, affirmative action).  I'll try and elaborate tomorrow I guess.  :)
Posted Image

#14 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Lil likes Preacher :D  How far along are you?  I don't want to ask you a question about that until I know what won't be a spoiler ;)

In the mean time:

Music!  What's your faves?  What makes you want to kill your stereo?

Life is full of tough choices.  Every event is a unique fulcrum in time, where a single choice can be a simple duality, or can set off a chain of events that echoes through perpetuity...

... you know what, I'm going to skip the buildup.  Mal Reynolds vs Tyr Anasazi.  One you keep, the other dies.  Choose which is which..
cervisiam tene rem specta

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostJid, on Aug 10 2009, 04:50 AM, said:

Lil likes Preacher :D  How far along are you?  I don't want to ask you a question about that until I know what won't be a spoiler ;)

I finished.  More's the pity.  AWESOME STORY.  Truly awesome.

Music!  What's your faves?  What makes you want to kill your stereo?

People ask me this and I respond "whatever makes my ears happy" and they frown at me for being nonresponsive but in a nutshell that's it.  But, if you insist. I'm not into rap.  At all. The only rap I can even stand to listen to is when Run DMC and Aerosmith did the crossover.  I'm not a country fan per se but there are country songs I like (especially when John Barrowman sings them).  I really love some of John Denver's stuff (probably because he had a voice that really made my ears happy).

I'm hopelessly out of date when it comes to "today's" music.  The grammys mostly go over my head because I have no idea who most of those people are.  I WILL say that the popularity of the Jonas Brothers truly baffles me.  They can't sing.  They can't dance.  They're not even that cute.  At least the Back Street Boys could dance and when you actually tested it, some of them could sing.  I'm also not understanding this Taylor Swift thing.  But oh well.  I love American Idol though so go figure...;)  

Huge opera fan.  NOT a Wagner fan (though Siegfried IF they have a killer tenor is pretty okay).  Love Verdi and Puccini but they have their clunky moments too.  I think Carmen is one of the most overrated pieces of mediocrity ever written.

I love classical too.  But don't get me started on Aaron Copeland, Bruckner, or the 1812 Overture.

Life is full of tough choices.  Every event is a unique fulcrum in time, where a single choice can be a simple duality, or can set off a chain of events that echoes through perpetuity...

... you know what, I'm going to skip the buildup.  Mal Reynolds vs Tyr Anasazi.  One you keep, the other dies.  Choose which is which..

If you're talking about a War Stories scenario then I keep Mal because tough as he is, Tyr IS tougher and is more likely to survive.
Posted Image

#16 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

What's the SMARTEST piece of federal legislation you've seen within the last two presidencies?
What's the DUMBEST piece of federal legislation you've seen within the last two presidencies?

Please explain your reasons for each. :)
Posted Image

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Dumbest:  The Patriot Act.  And I blame congress for this even more than Bush because CONGRESS passed the damned thing and it was completely motivated by fear.  I know I did some kind of analysis of this waaaaaaaaaaaay back.  But really, when laws start being passed as knee jerk reactions to terrorism then the terrorists have WON.

Best:  Hmmm.  There was SMART federal legislation in the past 10 years?  ;)  I'm actually trying to be serious here.  I'll have to look into that.
Posted Image

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

Yep, I knew it, because I drive through it often enough.    :)
Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Aug 9 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

No.  I knew it.  You haven't lived until you've blown your radiator near Blythe.  It's quite an experience.  LOL
I could live without that!     :eek4:
Posted Image

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

This next pair of questions is a variation of the last pair:

What's the SMARTEST piece of California legislation you've seen within the last decade?
What's the DUMBEST piece of California legislation you've seen within the last decade?

Please explain your reasons for each. :)

(...and you other folks thought all I was good for was :p~ Lil :devil: :hehe: )
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Bad Wolf, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users