• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 05:23 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 25 2003, 02:39 PM, said:

I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday??
You know, saying "Season's Greetings" or "Happy holidays" really has never bothered me.  What's the point of wishing someone a merry Christmas if they don't celebrate Christmas?  

Though, counting the holiday decorations in elementary school always amused me because it tried so hard not to offend.  If there were 6 Christmas pictures, there'd be 6 Hanukkah pictures (of the same size, of course), 5 generic, and 3 Kwanza.  And possibly two pictures representing a holiday that no one had ever heard of, just to be safe.

#22 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 05:29 PM

Just a note:

"Christmas as an American tradition" is overblown. Without going into too many details, it was barely even observed before the civil war. I'd comment on the rest, but Cardie did it for me...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#23 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 02:50 AM

QueenTiye, on Jul 26 2003, 01:12 AM, said:

In LoTS response to me - he equated America's willingness to be open to other cultures with tax breaks.  I fail to see the connection between the two things - other than further misperception of blame as belonging to the immigrants rather than to our politicians.

QT
The connection, albiet tenuous, is the preferential treatment given to immigrant...over American citizens. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough.

As for English being the national language...I'm all for it. Although, I wouldn't even know how to go about making that law...or what, exactly, it would entail. I just feel that if one comes to this country, one should learn OUR language...not expect US to learn theirs.

The way the tax breaks for immigrants figure in...is it's basically discrimination against law abiding citizens. Why give tax breaks to people who JUST came to this country? Further: Why allow them to leave, then come back, so that they can remain here tax free?

I don't see the government offering this deal to American citizens. Hmmm. wonder why?

You're correct, though, QT. It's the politicans who are allowing this to happen.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#24 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:31 AM

LotS, doing business in a country of which you aren't a legal resident often entails tax breaks. That's why US corporations and wealthy individuals have offshore accounts. Although I'm not really sure what tax breaks there are here that are reserved only for immigrants--I'd like to see the precise language of the tax code--if they are for non-citizens generally, then of course we have to take advantage of other tax breaks than these, of which there are many,if we are citizens.

I don't see how trying to accommodate non-English speakers forces English speakers to learn another language (not that this isn't a good idea.) It's not like any public or private concern is being set up that we can't access unless we speak, say, Spanish.  Now there is at least a makeable argument about whether resources should be spent on bilingual communication, or whether we do immigrants no favor by not making it more difficult if they don't learn English. But no native English speaker's right are being infringed upon just because of efforts to accommodate others who don't speak English.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#25 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:03 AM

Ask your friend what paper they were reading that said the veil case was reversed, best I can find (dated July 10th) still talks about the original ruling still standing.

BTW--whole-heartedly disagree w/ you LoS . . . but this is one of those times I'm better off just keeping my mouth shut. ;)

-Nick

#26 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:01 AM

Delvo, on Jul 25 2003, 09:22 PM, said:

Rhea, on Jul 25 2003, 02:38 PM, said:

I'm beginning to think that the people who keep screaming about anyone who isn't WASPY moving somewhere else ought to do it themselves - because trying to  make America an in-club of WASPS isn't possible, isn't gonna happen, and IT'S UNAMERICAN.
What about people who scream (or talk/type) about what should be done about other people whom they accuse of screaming things they didn't scream (or even say/type)?
LOL! Point to Delvo. But, truly, I *am* getting tired of the "if you don't like it, move" chant. :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: English as official language, Culture, Immigrants, Islam

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users