Obituaries Eunice Kennedy Shriver 2009

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

Eunice Kennedy Shriver passed away at 2am today (8/11/09) at Cape Cod Hospital. She was the sister of JFK, RFK and Sen. Ted Kennedy.

She was surround by her family when she passed including her only daughter Maria and her husband Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Eunice was the one that revealed the Kennedy family secret that Rosemary Kennedy was mentally disabled. She has said that it was Rosemary that inspired her to start the Special Olympics. Of all the Kennedy, it is said she is the one that leaves behind a Legacy with the Special Olympics.

Edited by SparkyCola, 12 August 2009 - 10:38 AM.
to add in cool-it sign ~ Sparky

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

:(
Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

This is so sad, she was the one Kennedy that left a true Legacy, in my eyes.

Blessed Be, and thank you dear lady.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

View PostShalamar, on Aug 11 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

??????

What about John F. Kennedy? Bobby?

I mean sure, she has done a lot of great work and absolutely should be honored for it, but I think her brothers left behind some great work as well.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 11 August 2009 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

I saw reports of her worsening condition, but I was too tired/busy to post anything about them.

Rest in peace, Mrs. Shriver.  :humble:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

In terms of a lasting legacy, no. They had their moments, but Eunice did so much for the disabled community that will endure her passing. The Special Olympics have given so many people a measure of dignity and hope.

View PostenTranced, on Aug 11 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

View PostShalamar, on Aug 11 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

??????

What about John F. Kennedy? Bobby?

I mean sure, she has done a lot of great work and absolutely should be honored for it, but I think her brothers left behind some great work as well.

enTranced

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

JFK....no lasting legacy?  :wow:

Damn, must have hit one of those Sliders wormholes and didn't even know it....  :fallover:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 11 August 2009 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Think about it enTranced...

Name me one piece of legislation, one action that will have an impact on people into the future like the Special Olympics?

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

I agree with Natolii in this - Camelot may have been pretty, but the men of the Kennedy clan deid nothingt that compares to what she did. Politics is a dirty word to me and that is what they made their life work.

Though I will say that the JFK drive to get us to the moon, and the associated inventions, discoveries etc that came from his make him a very close second to her -  for that reason only however.

And do not get me started on Joe Sr. and what he did, and allowed to happen to Rosemary.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

I will counter that is was not JFK's drive, but the drive of a WWII German Scientist that started the Space Race.

View PostShalamar, on Aug 11 2009, 09:37 PM, said:

I agree with Natolii in this - Camelot may have been pretty, but the men of the Kennedy clan deid nothingt that compares to what she did. Politics is a dirty word to me and that is what they made their life work.

Though I will say that the JFK drive to get us to the moon, and the associated inventions, discoveries etc that came from his make him a very close second to her -  for that reason only however.

And do not get me started on Joe Sr. and what he did, and allowed to happen to Rosemary.

#11 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

View PostNatolii, on Aug 11 2009, 11:31 PM, said:

Name me one piece of legislation, one action that will have an impact on people into the future like the Special Olympics?

Not incinerating the world in the Cuban Missile Crisis strikes me as a decent legacy.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#12 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Um, yeah. Just like being part of the Berlin wall coming down...

One moment in history. Whereas we are talking about an organization that will endure beyond her death and continue to give a segment of our population dignity. I don't see anything of that scope from any of the politicians.

View PostMuseZack, on Aug 12 2009, 02:05 AM, said:

Not incinerating the world in the Cuban Missile Crisis strikes me as a decent legacy.

#13 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

View PostMuseZack, on Aug 12 2009, 06:05 AM, said:

Psshh - just dust in the wind that one.

And forget all that crap we learned going to the moon. That reaching for our better selves was crap to.

Sorry Natollii to say we disagree on this does a great disservice to the word disagree and I have to reach for "what are you smoking and can I have some?"

enTranced
Posted Image

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

eT- that comment is poster not post and breaches the guideline of personally attacking another member. As such it's being discussed in the SL, but for now:

/images/Stop.png

Post not poster! It's perfectly possible to disagree with someone and not attack them personally by inferring things about them in a rude and obvious way.

Issued by Sparky

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#15 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

If you are looking at Political achievements, there are hundreds of peices of Legislation on file. GOing to the moon... I credit the man behind Explorer 1 with starting the Space race. JFK may have been a supporter, but did he put the people on the moon?

Eunice started this organization in an era where woman were not in positions of authority. http://www.eunicekennedyshriver.org/

Cuban Missle Crisis - As my mother put it, "That's not a legacy, that's removing a thorn in his side."

And I am going to ignore your rather inflammatory comment because I am of the belief that if you have to resort to insulting comments, you have nothing to honestly contribute to the conversation. I did NOT insult you enTranced. I will thank you to extend that same courtesy.

It's things like that that led to my choice to leave previously.

Edited by Natolii, 12 August 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Why has this become a referendum on the legacies of JF and Bobby Kennedy?
Posted Image

#17 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

I guess you had to have been there.

I think even Eunice might be chafing at this.

She certainly did a lot for humanity-she had the power that was basically placed there for her by her father *cough* businessman. :rolleyes:

And then of course the solidness of how JFK and RFK actually legitimized the Kennedy's.

JFK was not just a great Patriot and Politician-he believed in this country and what could be done by the people of this country.  And I often wonder what he would think of how we are so behind in the times now...

Go watch his speech at the Berlin Wall and his speech about giving to the country (I believe it was the inauguration speech)...then come back and tell me how much it was a nothing.

I was sorry to hear that Eunice has left this world and she was a great lady...
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#18 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

Just the fact that is it not as stirring now as it was then is very telling. A lot of people are disillusioned by the way the Politicians have taken this country.

At Least Eunice's Humanitarian works are enduring and set an example to people world wide. She took an organization she created in her Backyard to international outreach - 3 Million Athletes in 150 countries. Her organization has helped so many people and will continue to help people after her death. She was the one that Exposed what her *father* did to her sister...

Has JFK or Teddy done similar? Yes, they have influenced American Politics. But you also have the negatives. Chappaquiddick ruined Teddy's chances for becoming President. People in Massachusetts have not forgotten that *accident*.

The Funeral is on now... http://www1.whdh.com/ There are 15 buses of Special Olympics' members behind the church for the funeral. These are people that are Part of Cape Abilities.

The Ebersols, The VP of Fidelity Insurance... Her 5 children, 19 Grandchildren... Ethel Kennedy, her sister-in-law, Oprah Winfrey, The Giffords...

Here we go...
http://www1.whdh.com...iller/BO121450/

Consider this:  Of all the Kennedys, Eunice may have the most impressive legacy.

It's true that JFK, Bobby and Ted Kennedy changed America.  But with her Special Olympics, Eunice changed the world.

When you consider that in the 1960's Disability was a dirty word, something to hide in shame.

Edited by Natolii, 14 August 2009 - 08:45 AM.

#19 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

9:49 am

The Procession has begun. A Traditional Irish-Catholic... Her four sons are Pall Bearers, there is an honor guard of Police and Special Olympiads. She is being piped to her rest...

There is a change

Maria is also carrying the coffin.

Edited by Natolii, 14 August 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#20 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

I have much love for most of the Kennedys, Eunice will be missed but her job is done and I hope her rest is peaceful.  Bobby Kennedy is one of my lifes hero's, he wasn't a perfect man but who is, I think if he had lived and not snatched away from us we might be living in a better world right now.  Anyway, God speed Eunice!

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users