• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Eunice seemed to be the most decent of the Kennedy siblings.  She was happily married for 56 years to a man who adored her and raised five children who turned out well.  Not a single scandal in the Shriver clan.  

I totally admired her.  RIP Eunice.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#22 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

View PostNatolii, on Aug 14 2009, 08:40 AM, said:

Just the fact that is it not as stirring now as it was then is very telling. A lot of people are disillusioned by the way the Politicians have taken this country.

At Least Eunice's Humanitarian works are enduring and set an example to people world wide. She took an organization she created in her Backyard to international outreach - 3 Million Athletes in 150 countries. Her organization has helped so many people and will continue to help people after her death. She was the one that Exposed what her *father* did to her sister...

Has JFK or Teddy done similar? Yes, they have influenced American Politics. But you also have the negatives. Chappaquiddick ruined Teddy's chances for becoming President. People in Massachusetts have not forgotten that *accident*.

The Funeral is on now... http://www1.whdh.com/ There are 15 buses of Special Olympics' members behind the church for the funeral. These are people that are Part of Cape Abilities.

The Ebersols, The VP of Fidelity Insurance... Her 5 children, 19 Grandchildren... Ethel Kennedy, her sister-in-law, Oprah Winfrey, The Giffords...

Here we go...
http://www1.whdh.com...iller/BO121450/

Consider this:  Of all the Kennedys, Eunice may have the most impressive legacy.

It's true that JFK, Bobby and Ted Kennedy changed America.  But with her Special Olympics, Eunice changed the world.

When you consider that in the 1960's Disability was a dirty word, something to hide in shame.

You know this is really kind of irritating because I liked Eunice but I also know that her brothers changed the world.  They may not have been alive when the changes started but they were there at the beginning and their deaths were due to the stands that they took.  Like JFK saying that Communism was not the future.  He stood by it till the very end and I guess that doesn't mean anything to you anymore then the fact that my father also put his life on the line many times to stop communism.  And before you say it-it was a real threat.

So you don't think that "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." is not a stirring piece of work?  Is it perhaps because we Americans have started asking the politicians to do it all for them?  See the fact it's not stirring to you is your problem not the man nor the history behind it.

I'm really insulted by all of this.  Eunice was a Kennedy and she was very proud of her brothers.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

All I was asking is why this can't just be about honoring Eunice without getting into an argument of the relative contributions of JFK and Bobby.
Posted Image

#24 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Well she did a great job in getting the Special Olympics going, but she always looked kind of gaunt and it seems as though Maria is getting to look more and more like her mother. :down:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#25 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

There is no denying that the Kennedy's influenced our world, all of them. Kind of crazy arguing who did better than who. John and Bobby were instrumental in civil rights changes, Eunice for disabled. The kids were trying to turn the perhaps blood money (?) created by their father into a positive change for all of us. I know I was and have been forever impacted by that family. I think mostly for the better in my life. (And I still mourn the loss of John Jr.!)
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#26 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Aug 14 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

All I was asking is why this can't just be about honoring Eunice without getting into an argument of the relative contributions of JFK and Bobby.

When someone just dismisses the brothers legacy as a nothing.

That's why.

Yes her Special Olympics was great and it started a new wave of thinking...but I say she was simply following in her brothers footsteps.  Of course the same can be said about JFK and his older brother Joe.  That's how the Kennedy's work.  They inspired one another.

JFK is responsible for things like this:

II. Government Employment -

a. High level Negro appointments including Housing Administrator Robert Weaver (the highest Federal post ever held by a Negro), Assistant Secretary of Labor George Weaver, Ambassador Carl Rowan, Associate Press Secretary Hatcher, Deputy Assistant PMG Scott, Federal Judges. Important firsts include D.C. Commissioner Duncan, FTC Commissioner Higginbotham (first on any regulatory agency), Postmaster of a major city (Los Angeles), U.S. Attorneys (2), and Commander of a Navy combat ship.

b. Special effort to secure greater Negro participation in middle and upper management levels. The number of Negroes in jobs paying $4,500 to $10,000 annually increased 20 percent in the year from June 30, 1961 to June 30, 1962. This was over three times the rate of increase for all employees in those grades. In jobs paying $9,500 to $20,000 there was a growth of some 50 Negroes in the same period – increasing the Negroes in these classifications to almost 1,400.

c. Intensive recruiting in high schools and universities with Negro enrollments. Positive effort made to promote qualified Negro employees.

d. In formulating a Federal policy to recognize employee unions, adopted policy that only those unions that do not discriminate may be recognized.

and this:

VII. Equal Employment Opportunity–

a. Established a new effective committee to end discrimination in Federal service and contracts with sanctions.

b. Because of the new emphasis, 1700 complaints of discrimination by government contractors were received in the first two years of this Administration (favorable action on about 72%), compared to the 1,000 complaints received in the preceding 7.5 years (with a favorable resolution of 20%).

c. Over 100 major industrial employers and 117 labor unions have signed voluntary agreements calling for an affirmative attack on discrimination in employment.

d. Vigorous efforts on part of Labor Department to eliminate discrimination in apprenticeship and other training programs, in referrals for employment, and in operations by labor organizations.

These are major things that happened during JFK's short tenure of office-these things are the things that have helped change the way we perceive our world today.

http://www.jfklibrar...mplishments.htm
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#27 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Let's just say all the Kennedys contributed a great deal, and celebrate Eunice Kennedy's contribution, rather than worry about who did better than who, etc. etc. :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#28 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

If you want to take it that way.

Fine. I'm tired of people putting motives into my words or being inflammatory.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users