Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

OT'er Of The Week - Week 8: QueenTiye!

OT'er of the week QueenTiye 2009

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Aug 23 2009, 11:59 PM, said:

What is your favorite thing about NYC?

Thought about it, and while Brooklyn is still probably a good answer, the real answer is the subway.  I'm told that if I traveled more I'd be over it, as some cities so totally outdo the New York subway - but so far, I'm not convinced.  I'm still pretty impressed with the fact that for just $1 $1.50 $2 $2.25, you can get just about anywhere in the city - and if you wanted to, you could travel the entire system without paying another fare. I've said this lots of times on this board, but I tend to view the NYC Subway map as a work of art... http://www.mta.info/...maps/submap.htm

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 24 2009, 10:44 AM, said:

Random question: Do you have a favourite accent/s that you like?

Sparky

No, not really.  I never really got why people get excited about accents.  Of course, growing up in Brooklyn, you're surrounded by so many accents that singling one out as special might be a little counter-intuitive.  I'm more inclined to be amazed to be told that I have one.  Traveling outside of New York and having people make fun of the way I say "New York" or "soda" (instead of pop) or "water" can be a little disconcerting, and humorous.

View PostShalamar, on Aug 24 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

What is your favorite movie?

I have trouble with favorite questions, because I rarely single out just one.  But my default answer to this is "When Harry Met Sally."  

There was a great movie with Colm Meaney and the bumbling cutie who got in trouble with a prostitute -what's his name?  "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain" - that was a pretty great movie. :)  I wanted to say something sci-fi-ish, but I'm realizing that I prefer sci-fi as television.

Quote

If you could spend an afternoon chatting with someone - alive or dead, who would it be and why?

So many people... (is my notorious indecisiveness starting to come through yet?)  My grandfather (maternal), just 'cuz I miss him, my dad (we hardly ever talked - last year before he died, he and I had one good talk - it was the first time, and I wish I had had more opportunities like that), President Obama - just because I think he's a nice person, and he has community organizing in common with my dad (my dad could run circles around him, back in his day).


View PostCardie, on Aug 24 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

I'm late into the thread to say that QT is much like her online self except that she just radiates fun and joy in person--or maybe that's just the effect of the cool jewelry on me.  Her thoughtfulness online might disguise that part of her personality.

Cardie

Yay me! :) Thank you, Cardie!


View PostAnna, on Aug 24 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

What does "Indentured Servant T minus 3.5" in your sig mean? I've been wanting to ask you that for a long time.

I never answer this when asked, but I will today to a point.  It's actually stale-dated.  It should now say T minus 3, as in, 3 years till my son graduates high school.  The "Indentured servant" part had to so with some unhappy home circumstances, circumstances that have changed, but I'm still keeping count (increasingly anxiously) on when my son graduates high school. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght


#22 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

I like the Nu Yawk accent personally lol. The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain is a great film :) Are you thinking of Hugh Grant? My favourite "Hugh" will always be Hugh Laurie. :)

As for When Harry Met Sally- when we were in NYC we made the obligatory trip to Katz Deli :D

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#23 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

D'oh!  Forgot to ask the other day if you know which castmate Emma Thompson married after S&S?  In this case, life does not imitate art!   :lol:
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Aug 25 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

I like the Nu Yawk accent personally lol. The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain is a great film :) Are you thinking of Hugh Grant? My favourite "Hugh" will always be Hugh Laurie. :)

As for When Harry Met Sally- when we were in NYC we made the obligatory trip to Katz Deli :D

Sparky

:) Haven't been to Katz in ages.  I went in the 90s for a pastrami sandwich, which, was to die for.  And, unfortunately, I don't eat beef anymore, so no more pastrami (turkey pastrami just doesn't get the job done).

Yeah - Hugh Grant is the guy. I like him.  But ditto on Hugh Laurie.:)

View PostNonny, on Aug 25 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

D'oh!  Forgot to ask the other day if you know which castmate Emma Thompson married after S&S?  In this case, life does not imitate art!   :lol:

I didn't, so I looked it up. And... wow... LOL!  That's truly funny.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght


#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

I have a question concerning the start of OT'er of the week.  I assume Joe chose me because of my support for President Obama, but I have often considered myself more "conservative" or at least moderate.    What direction should I go in in choosing a successor? Conservative? Moderate? Liberal?  Or just someone with whom I typically disagree?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght


#26 EChatty

EChatty

    Lurker Extaordinaire

  • SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

According to the rules:

Quote

Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like Bad Wolf did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

There it is-nothing about political affiliation, just someone with whom you typically disagree. I don't post a lot in here, I just pop in now and then to read.


#27 sierraleone

sierraleone

    All things Great and Mischievous

  • Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

If you could have a superpower what would it be? ;)

What issue have you change your mind the most on, and was it easy or hard, and why?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#28 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

View PostEChatty, on Aug 27 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

According to the rules:

Quote

Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like Bad Wolf did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

There it is-nothing about political affiliation, just someone with whom you typically disagree. I don't post a lot in here, I just pop in now and then to read.



Thanks.  I think that answers that! :)  

View Postsierraleone, on Aug 27 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

If you could have a superpower what would it be? ;)

The only one that's ever seemed really useful to me is telepathy - both the ability to read minds and to project thoughts to others at will.  I'll admit to wishing I had Wonder Woman gadgets though (invisible plane, bullet stopping gauntlets, lasso of truth...)  AND - honestly, like Wonder Woman, it would be very awesome to be able to travel to the various pantheons and make my acquaintance with the various gods and goddesses of various cultures. :) But that's not really a superpower. :)

Quote

What issue have you change your mind the most on, and was it easy or hard, and why?

Probably my understanding of religion was the hardest thing to change. Growing up in the Methodist Church, our youth group got caught up in the pentacostal and evangelical movement - we were fans of Freddie Price, Jim & Tammy Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, etc.  I even thought for a time about going to Jimmy Swaggert's college when he started one.  To go from that point of view as a teenager to converting to Islam as an adult took a long time, a lot of wrestling, and a lot of pain. Especially painful was the way some (athiests especially, but sometimes some folks in other religions) would take your willingness to hear them out as an excuse to bash your belief system.  I don't know if they thought that if they landed the death blow I'd be converted to their point of view, but nothing could have been further from the truth.  All the opposition made me cling, perhaps even fearfully, to what I already believed in (fearfully, because I was largely convinced that whatever made them act like that was from the nether regions...)  So, I'm a lot less dogmatic in posture these days, although I think I still tend toward dogmatism in actual practice.  But having been in three different faiths, I'm quite a lot more open-minded than I once was.  More tolerant too.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght


#29 sierraleone

sierraleone

    All things Great and Mischievous

  • Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Aug 27 2009, 11:15 PM, said:

Quote

What issue have you change your mind the most on, and was it easy or hard, and why?

Probably my understanding of religion was the hardest thing to change. Growing up in the Methodist Church, our youth group got caught up in the pentacostal and evangelical movement - we were fans of Freddie Price, Jim & Tammy Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, etc.  I even thought for a time about going to Jimmy Swaggert's college when he started one.  To go from that point of view as a teenager to converting to Islam as an adult took a long time, a lot of wrestling, and a lot of pain. Especially painful was the way some (athiests especially, but sometimes some folks in other religions) would take your willingness to hear them out as an excuse to bash your belief system.  I don't know if they thought that if they landed the death blow I'd be converted to their point of view, but nothing could have been further from the truth.  All the opposition made me cling, perhaps even fearfully, to what I already believed in (fearfully, because I was largely convinced that whatever made them act like that was from the nether regions...)  So, I'm a lot less dogmatic in posture these days, although I think I still tend toward dogmatism in actual practice.  But having been in three different faiths, I'm quite a lot more open-minded than I once was.  More tolerant too.

QT

Was it because of your new faith, or your old one? (probably both ;) ) Other than social implications (which are a lot in the faithful community I imagine), I don't see converting as being that hard. Especially if it was my first time converting, considering I may have just been hanging on my old faith out of habit from what I was raised as opposed to heartfelt feelings for it. Though you were obviously more involved with your childhood faith instead of that :)

You don't have to expand on it if you don't want to. I just find it fascinating, my mind comes from such an analytical bent, religious belief does not seem to come naturally to me. I have trouble understanding it. Though I can't imagine, as an atheist/agnostic myself, (or even if I was religious... as I'd still have my analytical bent ;) ) thinking that just because you are willing to listen that you'd like receive the deathblow to your faith and 'convert' again. Obviously your willingness to listen lead you to hear about other religions, but beyond that... all I can think is it lead you to a religion you thought fit your personal understand of faith/god/etc best. Why would you be willing to convert again? Especially considering most people are raised in a religion. Heck I won't even refer to children of religious parents as "christian/muslim/wiccan/etc children". They haven't made that decision yet. *Maybe* as teenagers. So the fact that someone converted, obviously, in most cases, mean they have done some introspection, decided something they've known all their life and, in many cases, facing enormous pressure to conform to, is not the right path for them. And have educated themselves on a new path (maybe more than one) and finds it matches their spiritual inner-selves/path (or how they want their spiritual inner-selves/path to travel). How can anyone, including little ol' analytical me, disrespect that and think that it'd be easy to make them reject their new religious/life path?

That makes me think of a new question though. Before you came to Islam (or Ba'hai (sp?)), what other spiritual paths did you explore, if any, and what were your thoughts on them? What about after?(not that I think that any answer you could give means I can pounce on your current faith, just curious ;) ). Was the change from Islam to Ba'hai (my understanding is it is an off-shoot of Islam) easier or harder than from Christianity to Islam?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#30 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

View Postsierraleone, on Aug 29 2009, 08:27 AM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on Aug 27 2009, 11:15 PM, said:

Quote

What issue have you change your mind the most on, and was it easy or hard, and why?

Probably my understanding of religion was the hardest thing to change. Growing up in the Methodist Church, our youth group got caught up in the pentacostal and evangelical movement - we were fans of Freddie Price, Jim & Tammy Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, etc.  I even thought for a time about going to Jimmy Swaggert's college when he started one.  To go from that point of view as a teenager to converting to Islam as an adult took a long time, a lot of wrestling, and a lot of pain. Especially painful was the way some (athiests especially, but sometimes some folks in other religions) would take your willingness to hear them out as an excuse to bash your belief system.  I don't know if they thought that if they landed the death blow I'd be converted to their point of view, but nothing could have been further from the truth.  All the opposition made me cling, perhaps even fearfully, to what I already believed in (fearfully, because I was largely convinced that whatever made them act like that was from the nether regions...)  So, I'm a lot less dogmatic in posture these days, although I think I still tend toward dogmatism in actual practice.  But having been in three different faiths, I'm quite a lot more open-minded than I once was.  More tolerant too.

QT

Was it because of your new faith, or your old one? (probably both ;) ) Other than social implications (which are a lot in the faithful community I imagine), I don't see converting as being that hard. Especially if it was my first time converting, considering I may have just been hanging on my old faith out of habit from what I was raised as opposed to heartfelt feelings for it. Though you were obviously more involved with your childhood faith instead of that :)

You don't have to expand on it if you don't want to. I just find it fascinating, my mind comes from such an analytical bent, religious belief does not seem to come naturally to me. I have trouble understanding it. Though I can't imagine, as an atheist/agnostic myself, (or even if I was religious... as I'd still have my analytical bent ;) ) thinking that just because you are willing to listen that you'd like receive the deathblow to your faith and 'convert' again. Obviously your willingness to listen lead you to hear about other religions, but beyond that... all I can think is it lead you to a religion you thought fit your personal understand of faith/god/etc best. Why would you be willing to convert again? Especially considering most people are raised in a religion. Heck I won't even refer to children of religious parents as "christian/muslim/wiccan/etc children". They haven't made that decision yet. *Maybe* as teenagers. So the fact that someone converted, obviously, in most cases, mean they have done some introspection, decided something they've known all their life and, in many cases, facing enormous pressure to conform to, is not the right path for them. And have educated themselves on a new path (maybe more than one) and finds it matches their spiritual inner-selves/path (or how they want their spiritual inner-selves/path to travel). How can anyone, including little ol' analytical me, disrespect that and think that it'd be easy to make them reject their new religious/life path?

That makes me think of a new question though. Before you came to Islam (or Ba'hai (sp?)), what other spiritual paths did you explore, if any, and what were your thoughts on them? What about after?(not that I think that any answer you could give means I can pounce on your current faith, just curious ;) ). Was the change from Islam to Ba'hai (my understanding is it is an off-shoot of Islam) easier or harder than from Christianity to Islam?


My twin... :)  You ask hard questions - no way I can bang that out quickly, and I don't have time to do justice to the question just now.  Somehow or another, I didn't see this till just now - so apologies for not responding.  I will.  Right this minute though, I actually have to do justice by the process and introduce OT'er of the Week #9...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght




Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, QueenTiye, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users