Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Senator Edward Kennedy is Dead at 77

Obituaries Sen Edward Kennedy 2009

  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

Link to CNN

While I may not have agreed with or particularly liked the man or his political beliefs, I do wish him a peaceful rest at last after a long stint of serving his country and battle with his cancer.

Edited by Joe D'Monix, 26 August 2009 - 01:33 AM.


#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

Damn. :( What a news item to go to bed on. :(

And he's the only one of the four Kennedy brothers to die at an old age, from an illness.

First, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, now her brother. This has not been a good time for the Kennedy family.

May brother and sister both rest in peace.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

Mark: Once again...this has been one helluva year. We've taken some pretty serious losses in the famous, and important people categories. From David Carradine, Walter Cronkite, Michael Jackson, Robert Novak, Les Paul, James Whitmore, Ricardo Montalban, Pat Hingle (actor, Commissioner Gordon in Batman), Natasha Richardson, Ron Silver (actor), and Dan Seals (musician, Also known as England Dan of England Dan and John Ford Coley, and younger brother of Jim Seals of Seals and Croft. Dan joined with fellow W.W. Samuell High School classmate and longtime friend John Ford Coley to perform first as part of Dallas pop/psych group Southwest F.O.B. (Freight on Board), whose material has been re-released on CD by the Sundazed label. As England Dan & John Ford Coley Seals using a childhood nickname he'd gained from his affected English accent and love of The Beatles[2] the two men would have several pop hits in the second half of the 1970s. "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" was the pair's biggest hit, reaching #2 in the second half of 1976 and becoming their only gold single. Their other hits include "Nights Are Forever Without You" (#10 in 1976-77); "It's Sad to Belong" (#21) and "Gone Too Far" (#23), both in 1977; "We'll Never Have to Say Goodbye Again" (#9 in 1978); and their last top-40 hit, "Love Is the Answer" (#10 in May 1979). After seven LPs, they disbanded in 1980 and Seals reinvented himself as a solo country-pop artist, signing with Atlantic Records in 1980.). Those were some pretty good songs in my all-time hit list.
Beatrice Arthur, Billy Mays, Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon, Robert McNamara (Secretary of Defense '61-'68), Steve McNair, Carl Malden, Ted Kennedy, Eunice Shriver Kennedy, Kim Dae-jung, Marilyn Chambers (adult film star, and Ivory Snow soap box girl holding the baby, also acted in The Owl and the Pussycat w/Barbara Streisand) Chuck Daley, Dom DeLuise, and John Hughes (filmaker with credits including National Lampoon's Vacation; Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Weird Science; The Breakfast Club; Some Kind of Wonderful; Sixteen Candles; Pretty in Pink; Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Uncle Buck; Home Alone and its sequel Home Alone 2: Lost in New York)
and now Edward Kennedy.

There are many more I didn't mention, but I tried to list the most famous (at least in the US) I could find.

It's been a sad year.

Edited by Mark, 26 August 2009 - 02:41 AM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#4 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

RIP, Senator Kennedy.
Julianus

#5 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

    Craving a little perspective.

  • Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Rest in peace at last, Mary Jo.

Posted Image

I'm cold Howard.jpg


#6 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

RIP Senator Kennedy...

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.



"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC


#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

    Warship Guru!

  • Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Condolences to the family.  

For the man I feel very little for him since he got to live a full life when he managed to kill another.  One young woman died because of Kennedy's negligent behavior and because of his he walked away without any action being taken against him.  Never mind the fact that his entire story doesn't quite ring true about that night.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 26 August 2009 - 07:12 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#8 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

    Craving a little perspective.

  • Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:17 AM

Slept it off for nine hours.
Didn't Ted back when Mitt Romney was governor successfully get the rules of senator replacement changed to a special election?  Because this past week he wrote a letter urging I guess the now democratic governor/state to reverse that rule back to the old one where-in the governor simply appoints a replacement.   :smirk:
This is due to the very close shave the dems have for voting under Obama - they really do need 1 more, and universal healthcare was one of Ted's issues.

I'm cold Howard.jpg


#9 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

Personally I think a postmortem of Kennedy's life and politics should be the subject of another thread altogether...


But thats probably just me.

#10 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

RIP Senator Kennedy
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

    FKA ScottEVill

  • Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

View PostJoe D'Monix, on Aug 26 2009, 08:29 AM, said:

Personally I think a postmortem of Kennedy's life and politics should be the subject of another thread altogether...


But thats probably just me.

Agreed, Joe.  

RIP, Senator Kennedy.

Quote

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

I was thinking of how hard this must be for the Kennedy family. What a difficult summer they've had, losing Eunice a few weeks ago and now Teddy. I feel for them.

It's been interesting to read the remarks from political figures across the spectrum. Nancy Reagan, in particular, wrote something that I found moving. She said that people were often surprised to learn that Ted Kennedy and Ronald Reagan got along so well, despite their obvious disagreements. And she said that in recent years, Ted had been a good friend of hers and an ally on stem cell research. One of his gifts, apparently, was that he was actually a likable guy, and a hard worker in the Senate. Orrin Hatch, about as conservative as one can get, is one of Ted's closest friends in the Senate. And Mitch Romney said that Kennedy was the kind of guy that you liked even as you ran against him.

The title of the New York Times front page article sums Teddy up well: gifted and flawed. He made some horrible errors in judgment in his youth (cheating, Mary Jo) and in his middle age (excessive drinking and carousing), but in his later years, he seemed to settle down and settle into a happy marriage. It's that way for us humans, sometimes....

But even throughout his undisciplined personal life, he had the reputation of being one of the hardest working Senators, one who actually read all the bills and did his homework. And though he was a lightening rod for partisan sniping, he was, behind-the-scenes, a consensus-builder in the Senate who was respected by both sides.

Finally, he was father to a lot of Kennedys of my generation who had lost their fathers. Some might argue that he was not always the best role model, but none can argue that he didn't love them.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#13 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Indeed, a flawed human being who took a long time to grow up, but a great senator and it's too bad he couldn't have been more active now with health care at center stage.  Man of privilege who fought for those without.  RIP.
Cats will never be extinct!

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

    FKA ScottEVill

  • Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Aug 26 2009, 08:49 AM, said:

I was thinking of how hard this must be for the Kennedy family. What a difficult summer they've had, losing Eunice a few weeks ago and now Teddy. I feel for them.

It's been interesting to read the remarks from political figures across the spectrum. Nancy Reagan, in particular, wrote something that I found moving. She said that people were often surprised to learn that Ted Kennedy and Ronald Reagan got along so well, despite their obvious disagreements. And she said that in recent years, Ted had been a good friend of hers and an ally on stem cell research. One of his gifts, apparently, was that he was actually a likable guy, and a hard worker in the Senate. Orrin Hatch, about as conservative as one can get, is one of Ted's closest friends in the Senate. And Mitch Romney said that Kennedy was the kind of guy that you liked even as you ran against him.

The title of the New York Times front page article sums Teddy up well: gifted and flawed. He made some horrible errors in judgment in his youth (cheating, Mary Jo) and in his middle age (excessive drinking and carousing), but in his later years, he seemed to settle down and settle into a happy marriage. It's that way for us humans, sometimes....

But even throughout his undisciplined personal life, he had the reputation of being one of the hardest working Senators, one who actually read all the bills and did his homework. And though he was a lightening rod for partisan sniping, he was, behind-the-scenes, a consensus-builder in the Senate who was respected by both sides.

Finally, he was father to a lot of Kennedys of my generation who had lost their fathers. Some might argue that he was not always the best role model, but none can argue that he didn't love them.

Amen.

Quote

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

    Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

  • Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Godspeed your journey, Senator Kennedy.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght


#16 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

View PostJoe D'Monix, on Aug 26 2009, 05:29 AM, said:

Personally I think a postmortem of Kennedy's life and politics should be the subject of another thread altogether...


But thats probably just me.


Not at all, I'm sure there are quite a few of us who feel that way.  :)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.



"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC


#17 Nick

Nick

    ...

  • Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Rest in peace, Senator Kennedy.  My thoughts are with your family and all the losses they've suffered lately (and overall).

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

    Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

  • Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

RIP.:(
Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Aug 26 2009, 05:10 AM, said:

Condolences to the family.  

For the man I feel very little for him since he got to live a full life when he managed to kill another.  One young woman died because of Kennedy's negligent behavior and because of his he walked away without any action being taken against him.  Never mind the fact that his entire story doesn't quite ring true about that night.
Switch the genders and the same can be said of Laura Bush.  

Since this is a memorial thread for Ted Kennedy, Lion of the Senate, I'll just add my condolences to his family, the Senate and the nation.  

Rest in peace.
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

In spite of his many flaws, he accomplished more in his 50 years in the Senate than many presidents. That's a great legacy. And his Republican peers respected him as much as his democratic peers.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Sen Edward Kennedy, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users