Ot'er of the week D'Monix 2009

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

Because I didnt get to post any pictures before my own thread ran its allotted time.

These are taken at Floral Haven Cemetary, Veterans Field of Honor, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

Bronze of my Great-Uncle Ernest Childers, CMH Recipient in World War II

Myself (the hulking goon) and the same bronze

Ernest's Crypt

No Idea if this will be readable or not, lol.

Or THIS one

On 9/11

(Some people get weirded out by the patch on his left breast though, but it doesnt mean what most people now have come to think of it as...)

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Very nice stuff D' :) And a very nice one of you :)

However, the patch you're referring to is on his right breast. As we're looking at it it's on the left, but as he's wearing it, it's on the right :)

And I know it has different meanings, vastly different than what people think it means.

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

Sorry, don't understand about the patch. Edited to add: Got it. It was used in Celtic prehistory, as well as a number of others besides the obvious and negative connotation.

Otherwise great pictures. Thanks D'.

Edited by Rhea, 02 September 2009 - 09:27 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

View PostEChatty, on Sep 2 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

However, the patch you're referring to is on his right breast. As we're looking at it it's on the left, but as he's wearing it, it's on the right :)

And I know it has different meanings, vastly different than what people think it means.

LOL

okay, im probably braindamaged :)

#5 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

View PostRhea, on Sep 2 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

Sorry, don't understand about the patch.

Otherwise great pictures. Thanks D'.

Thanks

the swastika?

before it became a symbol of the Nazis it was a more mystical symbol in some native and other cultures.

it was also the original patch of the 45th Infantry Division - then later the Thunderbird became their unit patch.

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for posting these!  I wish you'd have posted them in your thread though - so I don't feel guilty for necroposting it soon as I get more time.  Yours, Shalamar's, Cait's and Lil's are all going to get suddenly bumped when I get a free moment.  You've been warned. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

^

actually i felt it wasnt right to necropost that particular thread and might lead to confusion, and i didnt have time to upload these off my camera since i was swamped at work.

so I did the next best thing.

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks so much for posting this, D'!  BTW I see a family resemblance.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

I guessed from what had been said that it was a swastika- but I looked at all the pics and didn't notice it at all :look: which picture is it in?

I've added this thread to the index.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#10 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

View PostJoe D'Monix, on Sep 2 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

View PostEChatty, on Sep 2 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

LOL

okay, im probably braindamaged :)
No you're not, it was an honest mistake ;)

Brain-damaged? Someone as evil as you are? That takes genius ;)

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 2 2009, 09:29 AM, said:

I guessed from what had been said that it was a swastika- but I looked at all the pics and didn't notice it at all :look: which picture is it in?

I've added this thread to the index.

Sparky
It's in the second picture of him on the page, Sparky, the one in traditional Indian garb :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ot'er of the week, D'Monix, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users