Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

2000 swine flu cases at U.S. university?

Public Health Swine Flu 2009

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

http://news.yahoo.co..._20090906183917

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus...

"At this time of year, we would typically only see a handful of patients with influenza-like illness. Health care providers in the local community have also seen WSU students with influenza-like illness, but we have no way of knowing how many.

"We also have no way of estimating how many students are self-caring at home without contacting us," school officials said...

"The overwhelming majority of our patients have had mild symptoms and are usually better in three to five days," the university said.

None of the WSU cases have been fatal. There have been 593 swine flu-related deaths in the United States, however, second only to Brazil which has recorded 657 deaths.

Edited by Palisade, 06 September 2009 - 09:15 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

A flue is something associated with a chimney and fireplace.

*yes I'm giving you a hard time*

;)
Posted Image

#3 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

^ I've edited the thread title.

I have no idea how that happened.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#4 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen a lot more in the next couple of weeks, given that college dorms are pretty much the perfect breeding ground for disease. I've already had several students come down with it in the first two weeks of the semester.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#5 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:11 AM

View PostUoR11, on Sep 7 2009, 02:04 AM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen a lot more in the next couple of weeks, given that college dorms are pretty much the perfect breeding ground for disease. I've already had several students come down with it in the first two weeks of the semester.

The flu in general, or specifically swine flu?

#6 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

^We've had over 58 cases of swine flu (specifically) on my campus, and they've been telling sick students to just stay home from classes so they don't spread, in a sort of self-quarantine or something. Luckily I'm not sick, but all three of my roommates are, though I can't say if it's with swine flu or not. I've just been taking vitamin c and drinking range juice and stuff, keeping hydrated and sleepingmy normal amount to keep healthy. :)
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#7 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

View PostAnnibal, on Sep 7 2009, 10:06 AM, said:

^We've had over 58 cases of swine flu (specifically) on my campus, and they've been telling sick students to just stay home from classes so they don't spread, in a sort of self-quarantine or something. Luckily I'm not sick, but all three of my roommates are, though I can't say if it's with swine flu or not. I've just been taking vitamin c and drinking range juice and stuff, keeping hydrated and sleepingmy normal amount to keep healthy. :)

Have they at least been helping them keep up with their classes?  When I was in school, professors could be real dicks about being out sick.  I went to one mere hours after my wisdom tooth surgery, drugged up, swollen face and barely conscious just to show that bitch how ridiculous her no-miss policy was.

I'm hoping the sick students are able to get their lectures or at least summaries online and are able to do assignments and such from home.

#8 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

^ The professors have been entirely helpful about it. :) They're trying to get through this with as little turbulence as possible, so everyone's cooperating very well.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#9 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

I've had several of my students go down with swine flu as well. I'm trying to help them, but there's not much I can do about the lectures. I've been letting them know what we've been doing though, so hopefully they won't be too lost when they get back.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#10 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

What'll be interesting to see now is if it sweeps through Stanford.

This is more than an academic interest for me (no pun intended) since I live right by the university and have two teens.... :wacko:
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#11 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

It takes specific tests to prove it is H1N1 flu, but I suppose given the time of year it is a fair possibility. But fit, otherwise healthy teens / young people should have no worries about it. (Unless they've been in the habit of taking antibiotics for anything and everything, or compromised their immune system in some other way.)
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Swine Flu, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users