Health Care Obama Speech 2009

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

You find it livestreaming here and there: CBS, MSNBC, CNN, etc.

All I want to hear him say is "I will veto any bill that does not contain a strong public option."

He won't be saying that, though.

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 September 2009 - 07:05 AM.
to add in cool-it icon

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/  

You can watch here, if you like.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Watching now . . . got a late start.

#4 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

"Now is the time to bring the best ideas of both parties forward"

*twitch*

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

I'm videotaping it.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

I smell mandates!

Eeeeyup.  And he just compared it to auto insurance.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Well, at least he's coming out strongly in favor of the public option . . . oh wait, no he isn't. :sarcasm:

Edited by Nick, 09 September 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

Very good speech. Good explanations.

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Good. He's now rebutting the b.s.

Re death panels: "It is a lie, plain and simple."

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

I had to walk away.  On the one hand he says that we will have access to insurance for SERIOUS INJURY.  In the next breath he talks about everyone being required to have "basic health coverage" which is NOT the same as serious injury insurance.  

Then he says there will be a hardship exemption.  Yeah I know how that works.  

I'm more disgusted than ever.
Posted Image

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

He's actually talking about the Public option now . . . hmmm . . . you gonna surprise me, Mr. President?

Talking about the monopolies . . . good . . . good . . . c'mon . . . you can do it.

Edited by Nick, 09 September 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

someone should merge the thread I just started with this one.
Posted Image

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Sep 9 2009, 08:36 PM, said:

Very good speech. Good explanations.

It's an interesting speech, to be sure. But in the end, all that matters are the hard results-and who will benefit/who will get screwed.

Walk the walk-not just talk the talk.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#13 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

By God, he said it!

Good boy.

Hang on, I smell backpeddling.

Grrrrr . . . "only an option for those who don't have insurance."

Insurer of last resort much?  How's that competitive?

I detect a tad bit of scolding towards his "progressive friends."  f*ck you.  Remember whose feet and knuckles were calloused walking neighborhoods and knocking on doors to get you elected, Mr. President.

Edited by Nick, 09 September 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

Baucus didn't applaud for the public option. Gee.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

The public option is for serious injury.  The mandate is for basic coverage (like check ups, periodic testing, flue...).  Two completely different animals.
Posted Image

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

View PostNick, on Sep 9 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

By God, he said it!

Good boy.

Hang on, I smell backpeddling.

Grrrrr . . . "only an option for those who don't have insurance."

Insurer of last resort much?  How's that competitive?

It's an item in the menu of choices for the uninsured.

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Sep 9 2009, 08:43 PM, said:

Baucus didn't applaud for the public option. Gee.

And the f*cker doesn't face the voters until 2014.

Best way to mitigate him is to take out Reid, and maybe we can get a decent Senate Majority Leader with the balls to take his committee chairmanship away.  I'd love to replace Reid with Schumer.

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Good clear explanation of how to pay for this.

It's a fine speech, beautifully organized, laying out what anyone who's followed the issue closely should already know--but many do not.

Still wobbly on the public option, as expected.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

He won't sign a bill that adds one cent to the deficit.

So...um....HOW is he going to pay for it?  

Oh my....savings within the current health system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nice idea but so completely impractical that it's almost funny.  

And not a dollar from medicare trust fund.  

How will they administer the elimination of unwarranted medicare subsidies to insurers?  Not for free I'll tell you that.

I don't agree that it's a good let alone realistic explanation for how to pay for it.  EVEN if it works, it will take time, which will not impact how it's paid for now.
Posted Image

#20 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

And not a dollar from medicare trust fund.

Not that there are any dollars in the Medicare trust fund. (Actually, trust funds.)

They contain Treasuries -- U.S. government debt.

Edited by Palisade, 09 September 2009 - 07:55 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, Obama Speech, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users