Health Care Obama Speech 2009

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

He's wrapping up, he pulled out Kennedy.

#22 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Meh.

He's good at speaking.  I've yet to see him walk his talk.
Posted Image

#23 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

I had to walk away.  On the one hand he says that we will have access to insurance for SERIOUS INJURY.  In the next breath he talks about everyone being required to have "basic health coverage" which is NOT the same as serious injury insurance.  

Then he says there will be a hardship exemption.  Yeah I know how that works.

Do it for Teddy!
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

I will say that I very much liked his breath of fresh air discussion of the role of government.
Posted Image

#25 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

Meh.

He's good at speaking.  I've yet to see him walk his talk.

Great minds, eh? ;)
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#26 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Great conclusion--his discussion of the American character.

Fantastic delivery.

Great speech.

I'm still cynical and will continue to judge him by his actions more than his words. But these were some fine words.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#27 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'm with you Lil.  He talks a great game, but he hedges, lays on the ropes, and seldom punches hard when he really ought to.

Right now, I give him a C+ on the speech.  Sounds great, but it's just a reshuffling of all we've heard before with some of his (admittedly outstanding) word smithing.

My favorite bit was when he threatened to call congresscritters out for lying and distorting.  Great concept.  Wish he'd thought of it two months ago.  If he sticks to it, I may revise his grade.

Also, agreed Specs.  Great speech, but he always gives great speeches.  I want great actions now.

Edited by Nick, 09 September 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#28 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

I will say that I very much liked his breath of fresh air discussion of the role of government.

I agree. Really thought-provoking topic that is something we ought to talk about.

Oh boy! Here's the GOP response!
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#29 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

Oooo!  Where, where!?!?!

(found it on CNN.com)

Who the f*ck is Charles Boustany!?

-Tort reform, tort reform.  I'm iffy on that.

-Buying insurance across state lines . . . I can get on board with that, if the end result is actually being able to buy insurance across state lines.

Wait . . . that's it?  He's done?

Edited by Nick, 09 September 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#30 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Oh good Lord. This GOP guy is lying by characterizing this as "government-run health care." What crap!

#31 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Who the f*ck is Charles Boustany!?

Apparently a bald-faced liar.

Wait . . . that's it? He's done?

Yeah, and just when I had stopped wanting to strangle him....

Edited by Spectacles, 09 September 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#32 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Nick: My favorite bit was when he threatened to call congresscritters out for lying and distorting. Great concept. Wish he'd thought of it two months ago. If he sticks to it, I may revise his grade.

Yep.

Also, agreed Specs. Great speech, but he always gives great speeches. I want great actions now.

Absolutely. It's time for him to deliver.

#33 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

He won't sign a bill that adds one cent to the deficit.

So...um....HOW is he going to pay for it?

Didn't you see Americathon? ;)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Americathon
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

View PostNick, on Sep 9 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

My favorite bit was when he threatened to call congresscritters out for lying and distorting.  Great concept.  Wish he'd thought of it two months ago.  If he sticks to it, I may revise his grade.

I'm with you on that one.

It's hard sometimes for elderly people to follow all this in the first place - the actions of members of Congress who trotted out the death panels and the idea that they will lose their Medicare are unconscionable. Partisan politics are one thing - scare tactics comprised of outright lies are something else again.

Edited by Rhea, 09 September 2009 - 08:26 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

So, Alf's dad, or whoever the hell he was, covered about 4 points in his couple minute rebuttal.  Here's what I took from it:

-GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE!!?!?  GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE!?!

-The non-Partisan CBO says at least one of the dozen bills smeared across half a dozen committees is very expensive.  Therefore, they all suck and cannot be made better.

-We need tort reform.  I won't say how.  Or how much it actually costs our health system.  I myself was sued for malpractice three times! (okay, didn't say that last sentence)

-Let's be able to buy insurance across state lines to increase competition!

(which initially sounded good, until I realized that the only companies with the necessary infrastructure and legal know-how to offer healthcare nationwide are the big ones that pretty much already are.  So, if you're dissatisfied with Blue Cross of South Dakota, you can jump ship to Blue Cross of Alabama!  Healthcare crisis solved! :sarcasm:)

#36 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 08:44 PM, said:

The public option is for serious injury.  The mandate is for basic coverage (like check ups, periodic testing, flue...).  Two completely different animals.

Huh? No....

The public option would be one among the choices of insurance available to people who have no insurance through work, no Medicare, no Medicaid, no VA. People who have no insurance can get insurance through a health insurance exchange. The public option would be a government-administered insurance alternative to the private insurance offered through the health insurance exchange. Think of it as one item in a basket of choices for the uninsured.

The mandate will be that everyone has to have a certain level of insurance coverage. If you're on Medicare, Medicaid, VA or have insurance through work, you're covered. If not, the mandate requires that you get insured--hence the insurance exchange where you will be offered choices of private insurance. If a public option passed, the choice of a public option would be there, too.

Edited by Spectacles, 09 September 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#37 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

^That's what I understood as well.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#38 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

Side question:  Has Obama addressed a joint session of congress before, or is this the first time?

#39 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

2nd time.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#40 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Sep 9 2009, 06:26 PM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on Sep 9 2009, 08:44 PM, said:

The public option is for serious injury.  The mandate is for basic coverage (like check ups, periodic testing, flue...).  Two completely different animals.

Huh? No....

The public option would be one among the choices of insurance available to people who have no insurance through work, no Medicare, no Medicaid, no VA. People who have no insurance can get insurance through a health insurance exchange. The public option would be a government-administered insurance alternative to the private insurance offered through the health insurance exchange. Think of it as one item in a basket of choices for the uninsured.

The mandate will be that everyone has to have a certain level of insurance coverage. If you're on Medicare, Medicaid, VA or have insurance through work, you're covered. If not, the mandate requires that you get insured--hence the insurance exchange where you will be offered choices of private insurance. If a public option passed, the choice of a public option would be there, too.

The exchange doesn't happen for FOUR YEARS.  I'm talking about now.

And he said "basic medical coverage".  Not "a certain level".
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, Obama Speech, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users