81 replies to this topic

#81 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostOmega, on Sep 18 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

So you're assuming that people "should" receive the things they need?  Okay, so "need" according to whom?  And at what cost to whom should they receive these needs?  I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm asking because these questions must be answered if you intend to actually implement such a system.

If lack of health care/treatment is going to interfere with their basic needs, and the ability to maintain those basic needs (and so, interfere with their ability of self-care, and to gain and/or maintain employment would be included as well), would be the "needs", which actually cover a lot if you think about it, fortunately or unfortunately.

But if those people are not helped, what happens to them? Wouldn't we rather they be able to gain/maintain employment, so we aren't funding all their needs constantly, instead of putting them in various social safety nets (disability, institutions, etc), or having them die when it may have been preventable? And even if they are already on disability, maintaining their current level of health is important. If they are more-or-less independent currently, but with out health care their health will deteriorate to where they are disabled to the point of needing around-the-clock care, that, to my understanding, is usually in most cases going to cost more than their health care.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by sierraleone, 22 September 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#82 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

^Good point. And yes, it costs the insurance companies andall of us more for people to be sick than to prevent them from preventable illness. That's why so many of the insurance companies are emphasizing "wellness."
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users