I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

All hail Annibal...OTer of the week!   :bowdown:

For those only recently thawed out of carbonite...The Rules:

Drew said:

Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like scherzo did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

Take it away Annibal...

:) I think the OTer threads are great. Thanks for picking me!

My name is Anne, I was born in Denver, Colorado and raised in Evergreen, which is also the hometown of one creator of South Park, as well as its Director of Animation, and the drummer of the Mars Volta. I think. I never really cared. I now reside in Boulder, and am working on a double degree in Film--Fine Arts and the normal Bachelor of the Arts.

My mom is a call-center nurse, my dad is a hedge-fund accountant/lawyer, and I have two siblings--a younger sister at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (yuck) and an older brother, who is a BASE jumper, often goes by Calvin instead of his real name, and who had a paragliding accident on Feb. 6th, 2006 that got him a head injury, a shattered heel, broken tib/fib, and 80 days in the hospital. He was BASE jumping again by the summer. Because he's a freak.

My favorite movie is the Iron Giant, my favorite current TV show is Supernatural, my favorite canceled show is Invader ZIM!. My most adored band is Stellastarr*, and my most-listened to song according to iTunes is stellastarr*'s "Move On," followed by Shiny Toy Guns' "Major Tom" and Radical Face's "Welcome Home." My favorite book is "Ender's Game," my favorite author is Neil Gaiman.

I am an atheist, but like Sparky don't really adhere to a atheist "doctrine" or belief structure. I have absolutely no problem with belief or belief in God as long as it does not interfere with me in ANY way. My mom is Republican and my dad is a Democrat, and being around both with their polarized views has put me somewhere in the middle, disagreeing and agreeing nearly equally with both sides. I also hold Ghost Rider's general philosophy on people. ;)

My main goal in life is to direct for animated movies, or to just be an animator...or really, anything I can get in the industry. I'm not too picky. If I were more brave and rich I would not hesitate to be a BASE jumper, and what I love to do most is watch movies and travel/hike/camp/appreciate the world.

And that's the nutshell.
I'll start the enhanced interrogation :humble:

What do your Republican mom and Democrat dad disagree about primarily?
What do you think of Brad Bird's work at Pixar?
Do you prefer traditional animation to computer animation?
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#2 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

What do your Republican mom and Democrat dad disagree about primarily?

Health care, presidents, Iraq, and the justice system.

What do you think of Brad Bird's work at Pixar?

^______________________________^

Do you prefer traditional animation to computer animation?

I will answer this in more depth after work, but for now I need to answer with a question: what do you mean by traditional and computer? Stop motion, hand drawn on cell paper, 3D ( a la Pixar/Dreamworks), etc? I have opinions on all :)
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Have you travelled much outside Colorado?  Are you planning to move to LA after school?

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

What is your favorite Neil Gaiman anything?  How soon will we get to meet you at Comic-Con?   :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

:cool: choice
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

View PostCardie, on Sep 20 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

Have you travelled much outside Colorado?  Are you planning to move to LA after school?

Cardie

Yes, I have! I've been to Mexico, England, Spain, France, Italy, Most of the American National Parks in the West, most of the Midwest states, Florida, Texas, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, D.C., Hawai'i, California....well, a lot of the U.S., anyway. I want to travel after undergrad to Asia or Australia and New Zealand, but we'll see.

I am planning on moving to L.A. after school. I know it's not the only place that's a mecca for film, but I have a place I can stay there, and I want to get into Hollywood movies more than independent. I have thought of doing the East Coast, with Pixar and whatnot, but my hope is to go to CalArts for grad school, so L.A. it is!

View PostNonny, on Sep 20 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

What is your favorite Neil Gaiman anything?  How soon will we get to meet you at Comic-Con?   :D

My favorite Gaiman ANYTHING was a reading he did of the Graveyard Book that I went to. After that it's a three-way tie between the Coraline movie, the Graveyard Book, and Neverwhere, with American Gods a close second, and everything else mostly tied for third!

I hope to attend Comic-Con soon...hopefully not too long after that as someone special ;)!

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 21 2009, 12:18 AM, said:

What do you like doing in your spare time?

Spare time is usually spent online, watching movies, drawing, writing/editing, reading, organizing, and going out on adventures with friends, my brother, etc. It's usually more surfing the web nowadays, due to fiscal, temporal, and motivational reasons. I am hoping to go along on some bandit-style excursions soon....
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#8 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:16 AM

And to follow up on Scherzo's last question about traditional vs. computer animation...it depends. It depends on what we're defining as computer and what is traditional. By some definitions I've heard from teachers and classmates, all Disney animation after the Rescuers Down Under is digital--that's when they stopped using physical cels and went to the computer. I do tend to enjoy animation with outlines--Miyazaki, the Lion King, the Iron Giant, Titan A.E., but within that it depends movie to movie whether I like it digital or not.

I love Pixar, but besides them I have really liked only a handful of other 3D-style animation. I liked Surf's Up, and Ice Age, but more because Surf's Up is surfing and the ocean and because Ice Age is just a great story, and not just the animation. I LOVED Reboot, and it would have sucked if it wasn't that crappy (though awesome for its time) 3D animation. Anything else and the form would not have fit the function, IMO.

One of my all-time favorites of animation is Foster's Home for imaginary Friends. I also love Samurai Jack and Invader Zim and Avatar: the Last Airbender.

And that's just mentioning the American animation.

It's all really case-by-case. :D

Though I like to MAKE the out-line style "traditional" type of animation. I suppose that is what I prefer if it came down to a choice!
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#9 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Why is Calvin's dad yelling, in your avatar, at what appears to be a drawing Calvin made of Hobbes jumping on somebody?  :D

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#10 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

I want to travel after undergrad to Asia or Australia and New Zealand, but we'll see.

When do you finish Uni? We might bump into each other in NZ :lol:

Sparky

#11 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Sep 21 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

Why is Calvin's dad yelling, in your avatar, at what appears to be a drawing Calvin made of Hobbes jumping on somebody?  :D

Because he drew it in the corner of the dad's book :). (And it's my avatar because Calvin & Hobbes is great American Literature ;D)

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 21 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

I want to travel after undergrad to Asia or Australia and New Zealand, but we'll see.

When do you finish Uni? We might bump into each other in NZ :lol:

Sparky

That would be cool! I am leaning more towards NZ & Australia--the language barrier being a large part of my reasoning, as well as me knowing people down there to stay with! If that works out we should totally meet sometime! (Another large part of this is now due to me watching all the extended edition LotR movies Saturday in a marathon...definitely leaning towards NZ!)
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

View PostAnnibal, on Sep 21 2009, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Sep 20 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

My favorite Gaiman ANYTHING was a reading he did of the Graveyard Book that I went to. After that it's a three-way tie between the Coraline movie, the Graveyard Book, and Neverwhere, with American Gods a close second, and everything else mostly tied for third!
He is a great reader of his own work, and I love his audiobooks!  I bet his readings/signings are excellent.    :)   I just picked up the 2 disc Coraline set.  Yay!    :happy:

I hope to attend Comic-Con soon...hopefully not too long after that as someone special ;)!
I'll be looking forward to seeing you there, and, not too long after, to sitting up front at your panel.    :happy:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Have you always wanted to be an animator?  What helped you choose to go into this profession?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

When did your brother change from being a bully to friend?

If you could choose five people (living or dead) to hang out with, who would you choose and why?

Of the places you have travelled to - which made the best impression and which made the worst impression on you?

Can you speak any other languages? Would you like to learn any?

Sparky

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thunderstorms - yes or heck no?

Favorite time of day? of year?

Favorite Holiday?

Do you have a pet?
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

View PostFnlPrblm, on Sep 24 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

Have you always wanted to be an animator?  What helped you choose to go into this profession?

Nope. I have previously wanted to be a space explorer, marine biologist, astronaut, firefighter, police officer, secret agent, novelist...the list goes on. What helped me decide this focus was that I a) am always drawing/doodling/making up stories/writing and b) realized that with TV and movies I CAN be anything I want to be--by proxy, which is the best way, because then I don't actually have to, you know, do that. I get to work hard in different, more creative ways. :) What helped me decide to go into film was BASE jumping, believe it or not (also why I am so attached to the sport in many ways). I was an English major at a school that I didn't really like for two years before I forced myself to sit down and think about what would make me happy. The answer was to transfer, start over with something I wanted to do, which was movies. TV. Documenting things. It's all good. :)

The specific BASE jumping was the first five minutes of the movie Continuum. It's a BASE doc by TRIAX Productions. In the 1st few minutes, they show the last jump of a man. It made me really think about whether I would die satisfied if I died that day. The answer was no. So I changed it.

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 24 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

When did your brother change from being a bully to friend?

Sometime in my freshman year of High School, we switched from hating each other to grudging tolerance and avoidance. By the time he graduated we were on better terms, and throughout his first and second years of college I would drive to Boulder, where he was living, and visit him, and we'd party and be bandits and have adventures. So I couldn't say one time, but we became friends when I was 16/17 and he was 19/20. Vaguely.

If you could choose five people (living or dead) to hang out with, who would you choose and why?

GREAT question. Hm. Gotta think about this one pretty hard, actually. The first person that comes to mind is Joss Whedon. Then Lee Pace for the sole adorableness. Pete Conrad, Francois-Marie Arouet, and Buster Keaton.

Of the places you have travelled to - which made the best impression and which made the worst impression on you?

Worst impression was definitely taking a cruise from L.A. south to Encenada, Mexico. It's the only part of Mexico I've seen, and it was just sad to see, and sad to realize (even in the 7th grade) that it was just...exploitative. The shopping, the cruise itself, ugh. I've also been on a Mediterranean Cruise. I hate cruises. It's just not my kind of traveling and environment, and I end up seeing the tourist traps, the bad parts, the most Americanized parts, and not seeing a place for what it really is. They're gorgeous, sure, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Best...I went on a two week class trip for school credit to Hawai'i and it was the best thing I've ever done. It was intensive, had two massive exams, and we had hardly any down time, but I learned so much, did so much, and read 5 novels besides. I was never more productive than those two weeks. It was a great way to really explore a place--the big Island--I know so much about it, and was only there the once. It is also one of my favorite places ever! I could live there, no problem, and never be bored.

Can you speak any other languages? Would you like to learn any?

Sparky

I can speak some French, Japanese, and English, though I'm only semi-fluent in one! ;) I want to finish my Japanese education, and I want to learn Arabic or Chinese, or an African language! I love languages.

View PostShalamar, on Sep 24 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

Thunderstorms - yes or heck no?

How about heck yes? I love them. Besides sunshine hands down my favorite weather!

Favorite time of day? of year?

Morning, and summer. I love early summer mornings, when I'm the only one awake and the sun is bright. I also love the darkest part of the night, when everything's silent and the stars are out.

Favorite Holiday?

This is a hard one. I don't really have one. I'm not much for the christian holidays, but I like it when my family all gets together and I get to see everyone.

I think I'd have to say New Years, because even though really every day, hour, minute, second begins a new year, I like the slight feeling of renewal that January 1st brings. Maybe tied with the summer solstice.

Do you have a pet?

I have a black cat named Nikko. She is a general crazy-person and lives at my mom's house :)
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Do you have any superstitions?
Posted Image

#18 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

View PostNonny, on Sep 25 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

Nope. Not so much. Although I do have a few weird habits that kind of seem like superstitions. I always have to push down those little bubbles on soda tops from fast food places. Otherwise my favorite number is 13, I have a black cat, routinely walk under ladders, have broken mirrors, etc. etc. :) Not always on purpose, though.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#19 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:05 AM

What is or would be your favorite time in history to either visit, read about and/or imagine about?

In your mind, what would be the more important skill when screenwriting or writing out a novel: having the characters provide better speeches to the reader, having a great imagination or having the best technique?

Do you believe character driven/oriented stories are always the best?

Best time for you to write and/or imagine things, late night, early morning or in the late afternoon?

How many insturments can you play?

Do you think a person is a product of enviroment/society or a product of man (human nature/they are who they are from birth)?

Do you believe there is any science behind the supernatural (or do you simply not believe that supernatural things happen [ie: ghosts])?

Am I asking too many questions yet? :hehe:

Oh and I totally agree on your reasoning on why you decided to go into the field you did.  It too is why I thought/wanted to do it originally. :)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

View PostAnnibal, on Sep 25 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Sep 25 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

Nope. Not so much. Although I do have a few weird habits that kind of seem like superstitions. I always have to push down those little bubbles on soda tops from fast food places. Otherwise my favorite number is 13, I have a black cat, routinely walk under ladders, have broken mirrors, etc. etc. :) Not always on purpose, though.
My reason for asking will become clear soon.    :)
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Annibal, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users