• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

View PostFnlPrblm, on Sep 26 2009, 11:05 AM, said:

What is or would be your favorite time in history to either visit, read about and/or imagine about?

The Mesozoic. Definitely. I have books and books on Dinosaurs (all kind of out of date--they're from when I was a kid). Jurrasic Park is one of my fav movies, and the sequels were fun enough because DINOSAURS! And the books were a ride. I loved Dinotopia, too, and the Dinosaur Animorphs book was spectacular. Not to mention Walking With Dinosaurs. I love them.

In your mind, what would be the more important skill when screenwriting or writing out a novel: having the characters provide better speeches to the reader, having a great imagination or having the best technique?

I think it's half imagination and half technique. I say this because I have read many a well imagined book/screenplay that is just painful to read because of grammar or formatting errors/issues. Also, theme, form, style, and the like are wildly important. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, is just not original except for the presentation. That's important--I've read post-apocalyptic before--what can I or the other author/writer give to the audience that's new, that will keep them interested? That's what's important to me. :)

Do you believe character driven/oriented stories are always the best?

No. I prefer them, definitely, but there are very many concept based short stories by Arthur C. Clark, for example, that I love. But then there are heavily character-driven stories that don't work for me, too, such as Away We Go. Sometimes contemporary storytellers rely too much on quirky, dimensional characters, that end up feeling like stuff I've seen a million times before, no matter how well developed the characters---like 500 Days of Summer.

Best time for you to write and/or imagine things, late night, early morning or in the late afternoon?

All of the above. I can write at almost any time. My main inhibitors are noise, so I tend to prefer late night/early morning when my roommates are gone or asleep. :)

How many insturments can you play?

Guitar, piano, saxophone, clarinet, xylophone, evil, and harmonica are all instruments I have learned in the past. However, none of them very well. You've seen the one song I've written/performed on guitar...I tend to never get passed the beginner phase. I'm steadily working on guitar, however. I want to know how to play that well!

Do you think a person is a product of enviroment/society or a product of man (human nature/they are who they are from birth)?

Both, in almost equal parts. I don't think either excludes the other! Take me for example. I have had a "talent" for drawing from the start. Perhaps I have a predisposition for spacial/color/etc recognition, and utilize it to that advantage subconsciously. However, it was my parents nurturing that talent and other support, teachers, my home, etc that really brought that out in me and helped me pursue it.

Do you believe there is any science behind the supernatural (or do you simply not believe that supernatural things happen [ie: ghosts])?

Yes. I grew up in a "haunted" house. But, I am entirely open to explanations such as carbon monoxide, although that doesn't explain all I've seen. To me the supernatural is something yet unexplained by science, or that is just not widely known science. I also fully believe in e.t. life, but am more cynical towards ET intelligent life coming here just to be prankster weirdos.

Am I asking too many questions yet? :hehe:

Definitely not! Bring them on!

Oh and I totally agree on your reasoning on why you decided to go into the field you did.  It too is why I thought/wanted to do it originally. :)

:) Great minds, and all that.

View PostNonny, on Sep 26 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

View PostAnnibal, on Sep 25 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Sep 25 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

Do you have any superstitions?

Nope. Not so much. Although I do have a few weird habits that kind of seem like superstitions. I always have to push down those little bubbles on soda tops from fast food places. Otherwise my favorite number is 13, I have a black cat, routinely walk under ladders, have broken mirrors, etc. etc. :) Not always on purpose, though.
My reason for asking will become clear soon.    :)

:cool:
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#22 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Hey did you hear about the mini T Rex that's recently been discovered?

Guitar, piano, saxophone, clarinet, xylophone, evil, and harmonica are all instruments I have learned in the past. However, none of them very well. You've seen the one song I've written/performed on guitar...I tend to never get passed the beginner phase. I'm steadily working on guitar, however. I want to know how to play that well!

Whoa! Loads! I haven't seen the one song you've written/performed, but I would love to if that's possible.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#23 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

^ I haven't heard about it! I am going to go look into it now!

Also, my YouTube link is in my sig. ^__^ It's the father's day movie--beware my sister and my horrendous singing and my abysmal guitar skillz! We made it for him in June, mostly because we have too much energy, excess creativity, and a lack of money. :)
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#24 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Awesome :D Thanks!

Your background on that page reminds me that you're an incredibly gifted artist - are you ever tempted to make [static] art your career instead?

ETA: If anyone hasn't seen Anni's Deviant Art page I think you should check it out- seriously!

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 26 September 2009 - 06:29 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#25 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 26 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

Awesome :D Thanks!

Your background on that page reminds me that you're an incredibly gifted artist - are you ever tempted to make [static] art your career instead?

ETA: If anyone hasn't seen Anni's Deviant Art page I think you should check it out- seriously!

Sparky

Thank you very much! :D

I was tempted. People like Vladimir Kush, whose gallery I saw on Maui, made me consider it, but in the end I am very much a movement oriented, media-obsessed person. I love movies, TV, etc. Animation is really my way of reconciling the two. :)
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#26 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

Love the Father's Day video. :D I'm totally uncreative in the question department but am enjoying the answers. Carry on! ;)

And I agree about your art - you're very gifted - as soon as I get over being broke from doggy Cushing's treatments I want one of your photographs.

Edited by Rhea, 26 September 2009 - 09:15 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#27 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Thanks Anni. :)

Totally agree with the comments about your art (but you already knew that ;)).  With all your talent, do you ever find yourself bored?

Well, I'm not sure how many more questions will be asked, but I like how they wrap up the long running show, Inside The Actor's Studio.  And considering your profession, it seems kinda fitting. :)  (Though I'll omit a couple of the 10 Final questions.)  [Sorry to those before, I would have asked you too, but forgot about these.]

1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
4. What sound or noise do you love?
5. What sound or noise do you hate?
6. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? [ *already answered above, but feel free to add on if there'd be another. ]
7. What profession would you not like to do?
8. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#28 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

View PostFnlPrblm, on Sep 27 2009, 06:30 AM, said:

Thanks Anni. :)

Totally agree with the comments about your art (but you already knew that ;)).  With all your talent, do you ever find yourself bored?

Well, I'm not sure how many more questions will be asked, but I like how they wrap up the long running show, Inside The Actor's Studio.  And considering your profession, it seems kinda fitting. :)  (Though I'll omit a couple of the 10 Final questions.)  [Sorry to those before, I would have asked you too, but forgot about these.]

:hugs:

1. What is your favorite word?

Can it be an acronym? OOPART. If not, then I really like the word ephemeral.

2. What is your least favorite word?

Majestic.

3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Epic landscapes. Adventures, quests...(the kind that occurs within one's mind works as well.)

4. What sound or noise do you love?

Storms at night, gusty wind.

5. What sound or noise do you hate?

Any noise that's like...human-made and overly repetitive, like loud gum chewing, sniffling, finger tapping or foot tapping. Multiply this by a billion if it's in a theater. Also, bass. I am overly sensitive to low frequencies.

6. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? [ *already answered above, but feel free to add on if there'd be another. ]

Professional extreme sports documentarist. I'm already amateur. I have a few doc ideas that would just be way cool. I may just try to pitch them to the RBAF some day.

7. What profession would you not like to do?

Horse breeder, ranch owner, etc. I hate horses. Ew.

8. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

"Sorry." Which he should be saying to everyone.

That, or "I have your entertainment system in your heavenly abode all ready for you--let's play some Rock Band!" Because I wanna play video games with God. I really do. I bet he's a cheater. ;)
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#29 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

:)  Interesting.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Annibal, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users