5 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' dies

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The childhood friend of John Lennon's son who inspired the Beatles' psychedelic masterpiece "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" has died aged 46 from the chronic disease Lupus.

Lucy Vodden was a classmate of Julian Lennon, who came home from school one day carrying a drawing of his 4-year-old classmate. "That's Lucy in the sky with diamonds," he told his father...

Julian Lennon lost touch with Vodden when he left Heath House nursery school, near his parents' home in Surrey following their divorce in 1968. But they were reunited in recent years when he heard she was suffering from the immune system disease and he lent his support to her.

Vodden's death was announced on Monday by St. Thomas Lupus Trust in London, where she had been treated for more than five years.

"Julian and (his mother) Cynthia are shocked and saddened by the loss of Lucy and their thoughts are with her husband and family today and always," the trust said on its Web site.
:(   Sorry to hear this.  

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

I thought that song title was a euphemism for LSD trips:

{VERSE 1}
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.

{CHORUS}
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Ah... Ah...

{VERSE 2}
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain,
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.

{CHORUS}

Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties.
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile,
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#3 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Sep 29 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

I thought that song title was a euphemism for LSD trips:
The title was from Julian's drawing, but the lyrics sure lend themselves to the rumors, don't they?
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:43 AM

To be honest, I believe the original LSD version of the origin of the song's title rather than the cutesy child's drawing one...... although they could be linked. After all, drugs do weird things to the brain.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

This thread is useless without vids.

I suppose the Yellow submarine is the best compromise, though, for sentimental reason, I find the vinyl '45, on a kid's  monophonic phonograph deeper and more meaningful, and the somewhat over-produced, proto-disco, era-syntonic version a more entertaining listen.

But we are geek and we are legion, so there can be only one true version

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostOrpheus, on Sep 30 2009, 03:33 AM, said:

This thread is useless without vids.
Hold that thought.  

It's okay.  

though, for sentimental reason, I find the vinyl '45, on a kid's  monophonic phonograph deeper and more meaningful,
This one sounds right to me.    :)

and the somewhat over-produced, proto-disco, era-syntonic version a more entertaining listen.
This doesn't work without the video.  I recommend the movie highly.    :)

But we are geek and we are legion, so there can be only one true version
True, and then there's this one (go to minute 6):  

from the Annoying Music show

If you were too stunned to stop it, and happened to listen to Help, you should know that the Annoying Music guy is wrong, it's not to be taken seriously at all!     :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Lucy Vodden, Lucy in the Sky, Beatles inspiration, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users