Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Huge Earthquakes Cause Death In The Pacific

Natural disasters Earthquakes 2009

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

So far, 14 dead in American Samoa. :( I hope this won't be a repeat of 2004!! :fear: :fear: :fear:

Edited by Ghost Rider, 30 September 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Oh crap.   :(

edited to add link: Samoa tsunami kills 'at least 14'

Edited by Nonny, 29 September 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

link

PAGO PAGO, American Samoa Officials in American Samoa say at least 14 people were killed when a tsunami swept ashore in the South Pacific country after a powerful earthquake hit nearby.

Mase Akapo, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, says the deaths occurred in four different villages on the main island of Tutuila, with six in the western area of Leone.

An unspecified number of people also were killed in neighboring Samoa.

The eartquake had a magnitude of up to 8.3 as it struck between Samoa and American Samoa around dawn Tuesday, sending terrified residents fleeing for higher ground.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

At least 34 dead as tsunami hits Samoas

PAGO PAGO, American Samoa - Towering tsunami waves spawned by a powerful earthquake swept ashore on Samoa and American Samoa early Tuesday, flattening villages, killing at least 34 people and leaving dozens of workers missing at devastated National Park Service facilities.

Cars and people were swept out to sea by the fast-churning waters as survivors fled to high ground, where they remained huddled hours later. Hampered by power and communications outages, officials struggled to assess the casualties and damage.

The quake, with a magnitude between 8.0 and 8.3, struck around dawn about 20 miles below to ocean floor, 120 miles (190 kilometers) from American Samoa, a U.S. territory that is home to 65,000 people, and 125 miles (200 kilometers) from Samoa.

Mike Reynolds, superintendent of the National Park of American Samoa, was quoted as saying four tsunami waves 15 to 20 feet high roared ashore soon afterward, reaching up to a mile inland. Holly Bundock, spokeswoman for the National Park Service's Pacific West Region in Oakland, Calif., said Reynolds spoke to officials from under a coconut tree uphill from Pago Pago Harbor and reported that the park's visitor center and offices appeared to have been destroyed.

Bundock said Reynolds and another park service staffer had been able to locate only 20 percent of the park's 13 to 15 employees and 30 to 50 volunteers. The National Park of American Samoa is the only national park south of the equator, a scenic expanse of reefs, picturesque beaches, tropical forests and wildlife that include sea turtles and flying foxes, a type of fruit bat.

Residents in both Samoa and American Samoa reported being shaken awake by the quake, which lasted two to three minutes. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a general alert from American Samoa to New Zealand; Tonga suffered some coastal damage from 13-foot waves.

Mase Akapo, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in American Samoa, said at least 14 people were killed in four different villages on the main island of Tutuila, while 20 people died neighboring Samoa. The initial quake was followed by at three aftershocks of at least 5.6 magnitude....
High tides are expected along the Southern California coast.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

The death toll in American Samoa is around 150. :(

Also-Indonesia has been hit by a major earthquake this morning. :(  Early reports say there may be thousands trapped. :cry:

Here we go again.  :headshake: The Pacific Ring Of Fire is flexing its muscles. :(
Posted Image

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Yahoo

JAKARTA, Indonesia Indonesian officials say at least 75 people have been killed and thousands more trapped under flattened buildings in a powerful earthquake off Sumatra island.

Vice President Jusuf Kalla announced the death toll at a news conference, hours after the 7.6-magnitude quake hit off the coast of the town of Padang on Wednesday.

Rustam Pakaya, head of the Health Ministry's crisis center, said thousands of people were trapped under collapsed buildings. He said a field hospital was being prepared to assist the injured.

Officials said the quake triggered a landslide that cut off land transport to the area closest to the epicenter. Power and telecommunications were also cut.

The quake was along the same fault line that spawned the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

Posted Image

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

:( :(
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Holy sh*t! :( I picked a bad week to not pay close attention to the news. I have a friend in Malaysia, and she travels all over Southeast Asia a lot for her job. I really hope she was safe at home in Kuala Lumpur when this hit... Although she likely would have felt this there as well.

Edited by NeuralClone, 30 September 2009 - 07:04 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:02 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/8284139.stm

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Somehow, I don't think this is a coincidence:

link

LONE PINE, Calif. A series of earthquakes the largest a magnitude-5.1 have rattled the Lone Pine area of the eastern Sierra in Central California.

The largest struck about 18 miles southeast of the town of Lone Pine along the east shore of the Owens River at 3:01 a.m.

It was followed within three hours by about a half-dozen smaller quakes between magnitude-3.0 and magnitude-3.5 in the same rural area near Sequoia National Park, about 180 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Inyo County sheriff's dispatcher Faith Felton says she felt a slight tremor during the strongest quake. No damages or injuries have been reported.

U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Randy Baldwin says a couple of quakes with magnitudes of about 5.4 have occurred in the area in recent years.

:unsure:
Posted Image

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

And there's this:

BBC

An unusually strong earthquake for Argentina has caused panic and left at least one person dead.

The epicentre of the quake, with an estimated magnitude of 6.3, was in the remote north-west but it could be felt as far away as Buenos Aires.

Many people ran out of their houses after the tremor struck, police said. Seismologists have warned Argentines to expect aftershocks.

Argentina sometimes suffers small quakes, but they rarely cause damage.

Authorities said the quake was located just south of the provincial city of Catamarca, about 975km (625 miles) from the capital.

"It was very strong. It was the strongest earthquake we've ever had. People panicked and ran down the stairs and out of the building," one woman told Associated Press Television News.

:unsure: :unsure:
Posted Image

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Apparently the death toll is at least 1100 in Sumatra now, with that number expected to rise even more. :(

I ended up hearing from my friend. Thankfully she's ok and was safe and sound in Kuala Lumpur during both earthquakes. Although they did feel it there and had to evacuate the high rise tower she works in. And despite feeling it pretty strongly in southern Peninsular Malaysia, there haven't been any reported deaths.

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

This is one heck of a lot of seismic activity all at once.     :unsure:
Posted Image

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Nonny, on Oct 1 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

I'm not well versed on earthquakes, but it makes sense that one really big quake can set off other imminent quakes nearby, causing them to all erupt in the same short timeframe.  And despite how far Argentina is from the pacific quakes, perhaps the shockwaves (which I know travel the whole planet) manged to be the "straw that broke the camel's back" on that Argentinian fault line as well.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

^ Yeah, I agree. Earthquakes this big will create rather large shockwaves, which would in turn cause other earthquakes and may cause instability in other locations around the world. And thus more earthquakes. Granted, I'm not incredibly well-versed in earthquakes either but it does make intuitive sense.

#16 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

^

Yup. We ARE talking about the Pacific Ring of Fire, after all.

The most violent event was the Krakatoa explosion, I think. It happened in 1883. There were 3 volcanic islands. Two of them blew up. The explosions and tsunami killed 36,000 people. The noise the explosion created was said to be the loudest noise on earth. The explosion was heard half a world away. :eek3: There were blood-red sunsets for almost a year.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 01 October 2009 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

NeuralClone, on Oct 1 2009, 04:12 PM, said:

^ Yeah, I agree. Earthquakes this big will create rather large shockwaves, which would in turn cause other earthquakes and may cause instability in other locations around the world. And thus more earthquakes. Granted, I'm not incredibly well-versed in earthquakes either but it does make intuitive sense.

Yeah. Keep in mind the molten magma underneath the earth's crust. Who knows what's going on. :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Nick, on Oct 1 2009, 01:31 PM, said:

Nonny, on Oct 1 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

I'm not well versed on earthquakes, but it makes sense that one really big quake can set off other imminent quakes nearby, causing them to all erupt in the same short timeframe.  And despite how far Argentina is from the pacific quakes, perhaps the shockwaves (which I know travel the whole planet) manged to be the "straw that broke the camel's back" on that Argentinian fault line as well.
I missed a word.  I meant to write "major seismic activity."  Usually a big earthquake is followed by series of aftershocks, many of which can hardly be felt.  I can't offhand think of so many major earthquakes so far apart from each other in so short a time.   Of course, I live within five miles of the San Andreas Fault, so it's a good bet that I live in a state of LALALALALALALA where quakes are concerned.    :(
Posted Image

#19 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Glad your friend's ok NC!

GR: It's really amazing ain't it? :eek: Do you mean the most violent event in recorded history, or can they tell from geology?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

SparkyCola, on Oct 1 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

Glad your friend's ok NC!

GR: It's really amazing ain't it? :eek: Do you mean the most violent event in recorded history, or can they tell from geology?

Sparky

I think the most violent in recorded history. The only thing that could end up being FAR worse is the supervolcano that makes up Yellowstone park. If THAT blew up, we might be looking at the extinction of humans, and a good portion of animals on Earth. And I believe there is another supervolcano in the south Atlantic that erupted 70,000 years ago. It almost wiped out humanity. :eek3:

Either one of these could erupt again. When? Who knows. :whatsthat: :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquakes, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users