Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Huge Earthquakes Cause Death In The Pacific

Natural disasters Earthquakes 2009

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Sparky,

You can read about Krakatoa here.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

Volcanic lightning storm. This pyro-cumulonimbus cloud has generated a charge within the ash, creating lightning.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#23 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Oct 1 2009, 05:41 PM, said:

Glad your friend's ok NC!

GR: It's really amazing ain't it? :eek: Do you mean the most violent event in recorded history, or can they tell from geology?
Thanks, Sparky! I'm glad too. It certainly gave me a good scare. The chances of her being caught up in that probably weren't real high but given how close Malaysia is to Indonesia, the size of the countries in question, and the location of Kuala Lumpur in relation to Sumatra... Well, it was hard not to worry. It was definitely good to hear that there weren't any deaths in Malaysia. Not so sure about Singapore.

View PostGhost Rider, on Oct 1 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

I think the most violent in recorded history. The only thing that could end up being FAR worse is the supervolcano that makes up Yellowstone park. If THAT blew up, we might be looking at the extinction of humans, and a good portion of animals on Earth. And I believe there is another supervolcano in the south Atlantic that erupted 70,000 years ago. It almost wiped out humanity. :eek3:

Either one of these could erupt again. When? Who knows. :whatsthat: :whatsthat:
I don't know if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting would necessarily cause humans to go extinct but it would definitely take out most of the United States. The resulting dust cloud would no doubt change the weather patterns for the entire planet for quite some time. It would certainly put many people and animals in a very difficult position. Humans are pretty resourceful though (and so are many other animals) so I think we'd be able to survive it. And by "we" I mean humans. Us Americans would mostly be goners. And Canada and Mexico would certainly be hurting too.

At least it would be quick for those caught up in the initial blast...

Edited by NeuralClone, 01 October 2009 - 07:11 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#24 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Lone Pine??  that's near here...i didn't feel a thing.  how odd.  :blink:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#25 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 1 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

View PostGhost Rider, on Oct 1 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

I think the most violent in recorded history. The only thing that could end up being FAR worse is the supervolcano that makes up Yellowstone park. If THAT blew up, we might be looking at the extinction of humans, and a good portion of animals on Earth. And I believe there is another supervolcano in the south Atlantic that erupted 70,000 years ago. It almost wiped out humanity. :eek3:

Either one of these could erupt again. When? Who knows. :whatsthat: :whatsthat:
I don't know if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting would necessarily cause humans to go extinct but it would definitely take out most of the United States. The resulting dust cloud would no doubt change the weather patterns for the entire planet for quite some time. It would certainly put many people and animals in a very difficult position. Humans are pretty resourceful though (and so are many other animals) so I think we'd be able to survive it. And by "we" I mean humans. Us Americans would mostly be goners. And Canada and Mexico would certainly be hurting too.

At least it would be quick for those caught up in the initial blast...

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I'm on the fence about whether humans will survive or not. :whatsthat: The human race has a tendency to be VERY arrogant. One example I can think of is Kansai Airport, near Japan. It's an artificial island that is supported by JACKS. Yes, JACKS.  :headshake: :wallbash: When I read about this island, I immediately thought that those who thought this was a brilliant idea must have heads bigger than Jupiter-and just as full of hot air.  :headshake: :headshake: :headshake:   Japan is right in the middle of the Pacific Ring of Fire, is a volcanic island country, and is sitting on THREE fault lines. Hmph. Let's see how it handles an undersea temblor like an 7 or above, and the tsunamis that would follow. :p~
Posted Image

#26 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Well, I'm not saying that it would be a walk in the park for those that do survive. ;) I'm just saying that I think animals in general (which includes humans) are more resourceful when it comes to survival than you're giving them credit for. It's really hard to say whether we'd die off or not. I do know that it wouldn't be very pleasant for the animals that do survive.

Maybe I should move to the western US so I'll get taken out by the initial blast...
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquakes, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users