114 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:15 AM

New York to open 1st School exclusively for gay students

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A school in New York's Greenwich Village will reopen in September as America's first publicly run high school for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students, officials said on Monday.

Although The Harvey Milk School has been operating with two classrooms for 20 years, $3.2 million is being spent by the City to expand it to take 100 students. Named after a gay San Francisco politician assassinated in 1978, the school will be funded jointly by the city education department and a gay rights youth advocacy group.

Er . . . okay, is this a proper use of public money? Is it unnecessarily segregationist?

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:40 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:17 AM

I think it's problematic.

Segregation only increases the 'us' vs. 'them' attitude.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:29 AM

Oh my.

I don't agree with this.

Let's have schools exclusively for Latinos and African Americans.

Better yet let's have public schools exclusively for Caucasions.

Oh wait, they outlawed that.

:p
Posted Image

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:33 AM

I had been seeing the headlines walking by newstands "Gay High" is the blaring headline of The New York Post.  I thought it was just some situation in which the majority of students happened to be gay...

This is so offensive I don't even know what to make of it.

They should start White High next.  And also, Black High, Asian High....

BTW - there used to be a Boys High.  Lots of effort went into making it Boys and Girls High... and THAT'S a move I disagree with.  How come it's alright to have a Gay High now?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:34 AM

^

I agree with you QT.

Lil
Posted Image

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:35 AM

Yah - I was just about to get my FIRST EVER chance to say -

BORG! LOL!

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:37 AM

^

heh.  I'll say it for you!

Borg!!!!

:D
Posted Image

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:39 AM

I disagree too. If they want to have a Private Gay school funded by this "gay rights youth advocacy group" that is their buisness , like it is for there to be Private schools for catholics, etc, but a Public "Gay" school? Heck, I disagree with there being Public Catholic schools in Ontario :p

Edited by sierraleone, 29 July 2003 - 05:39 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:40 AM

Ok. But I have to step back for a minute and say something contradictory...

While I don't agree with the concept of GAY High - I could readily see a school where a philosophy embracing homosexuality were taught - as in a parochial school, open to both gay and straight students.  AND - such a school would necessarily be private....

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:41 AM

Some of the schools around where I live, have a Gay-straight Alliance club or whatever its called.... a much better idea than segreation.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:57 AM

Of course, in the examples being given, we're mixing racial, religious, and sexual identity groups as if the law applied to them all in the same way. Laws require separation where religion is concerned, and forbid it where race is concerned. I don't think the law knows quite what to do with sexual identity groups yet. Is it a matter of choice, like religion? Is it a matter of biology, like race? Is it something completely different?

And it may be worth noting that when the law requires separation, it says "Go start your own school, but you don't get any public money." But here we have state-endorsed and funded segregation.

Edited by Drew, 29 July 2003 - 06:04 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:07 AM

Drew, on Jul 28 2003, 11:47 AM, said:

I don't think the law knows quite what to do with sexual identity groups yet.
Drew, that is the most insightful comment I've seen on this issue on this board.

You hit the nail on the head.

But here we have state-endorsed and funded segregation.

To me this is the bottom line.

And that is what makes it not okay to me.

Lil
Posted Image

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:07 AM

Drew, on Jul 28 2003, 02:47 PM, said:

Of course, in the examples being given, we're mixing racial, religious, and sexual identity groups as if the law applied to them all in the same way. Laws require separation where religion is concerned, and forbid it where race is concerned. I don't think the law knows quite what to do with sexual identity groups yet. Is it a matter of choice, like religion? Is it a matter of biology, like race? Is it something completely different?
But whatever it is - creating a school JUST for them discriminates against everyone else.

Just by being a statistical minority, they have a probable chance of being better off than some other schools - in a city where overcrowding is one of the major educational problems - if it works out that they have smaller class size - the case could be made that it was inherently because of the discriminatory nature of the school.  

And what happens if a straight student wants to attend?  AND - what is this business of kids being allowed to make sexuality a standard for educational choices anyway?  Aren't we supposed to be discouraging sexual activity for minors??? (Or is that just my prudishness showing...)

ERG... I just can't agree with this on any level.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:10 AM

Well I am oppose to the concept I also can see that this could be seen as an attempt to place at risk students who might subject to attacks by other students,and would be a place where they did not need to feel forced to stay in the closet for fear of attacks. So the other side of the coin has reasons for it being there.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:14 AM

Let's look at the issue backwards:

If we accept that the claim of beatings/harrasment of gays in public schools are true, what are we left with?

The state is still obligated to provide an education, can't ignore the safety of the students, and can't possibly assign guards to all the gay students during school hours. Any 'education' campaign would be unlikely to work.

What other options do they have?

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#16 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:17 AM

QueenTiye, on Jul 28 2003, 01:57 PM, said:

And what happens if a straight student wants to attend?  AND - what is this business of kids being allowed to make sexuality a standard for educational choices anyway?  Aren't we supposed to be discouraging sexual activity for minors??? (Or is that just my prudishness showing...)
I was going to ask the same two questions.  :cool:  But then, my prudishness is on record.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:20 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 28 2003, 12:04 PM, said:

Let's look at the issue backwards:

If we accept that the claim of beatings/harrasment of gays in public schools are true, what are we left with?

The state is still obligated to provide an education, can't ignore the safety of the students, and can't possibly assign guards to all the gay students during school hours. Any 'education' campaign would be unlikely to work.

What other options do they have?
Rov I do not and will NEVER accept that argument.

When desegregation first occurred do you think there were no hazings and beatings of black kids?

Do you think that women were well treated in schools?

The answer is to punish the hell out of hate crimes and work on eradicating the bigotry that leads to them, not to hide away the victims in some secluded segregated environment.

Lil
Posted Image

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:20 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 28 2003, 02:04 PM, said:

I'm sure kids who identify themselves as gay will receive abuse. So do those who identify as geeks, as nerds, as members of the marching band or chess club. Schools are microcosms of a society where different identity groups clash as a matter of course. Which groups are most deserving of being given "protected" status?

#19 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:23 AM

Rov, why do you think any "education" campaigns won't work?

#20 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:25 AM

Lil, Drew-- FTR, I don't buy the argument either. I see your points. As I mentioned in my first post, I find this an extremely problematic decision. I'm just trying to explore why the officials reached this solution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Education

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users