• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

I'd like to keep this thread in OT as I'm interested, in part, in international attitudes regarding the topic.

Back about 5 years ago, Mr. NL and I were searching for a new general practioner and so finally decided to get a clearer understanding as to what the difference(s) might be, presently, between
Doctors of Osteopathy and Medical Doctors.
Often, I've looked simply at the acronyms after the name - D.O. or M.D. and chosen M.D.'s,
assuming D.O's were nothing more than glorified chiropractor slackers.  :p
But when we gently grilled a D.O. about his education etc... we left satisfied that he held more or less our outlook on practicing medicine, although educated to view the body/health on a slightly different track as M.D programs.
This is just a quick answer webpage that starts the discussion, IMO -
http://www.life123.c...S=g0pdfgz1.1hhi

Anyway, we had guests last night and got on the subject and our friend was under the impression that D.O.'s do not have as many years "education" (I'm not sure what that included when the word was used).
My understanding was, here in the U.S. at least, D.O's have to complete the same amount of undergrad/medical school/and internship as M.D.'s.
The content, the rigourous course material, the concept of disease, the approach to diagnosing and treament ... may be quite different however.
And has this changed in the recent past - "blurred line"?

So I am curious if other americans here make a distinction between the two, and how posters from other countries regard each.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Professionals, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users