60 replies to this topic

#61 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:39 AM

aphrael, on Jul 31 2003, 11:11 AM, said:

Delvo, on Jul 31 2003, 08:53 AM, said:

But such redistricting efforts are routine for both sides, and have been for decades. What makes this case so special, other than the Democrats' tantrum? There doesn't seem to be an answer for that; throwing tantrums is just a big Deomcrat thing to do right now.

And claiming that Texas republican state-government actions are fueled by Tom Delay and the Federal politicians is just revealing that your comments have more to do with preaching against convenient Republican targets for demonization (because knowledge of who they are is more widespread than knowledge of who the real culprits in this particular case are) than reality.
Tom Delay did ask Perry to redistrict in order to get more republicans voted into office.  This was not only in the newspapers but on the news.  I'm not making this up.  The democrats are upset cause they just redistricted about 2 years ago.  Its normally done every ten years or so.

:elf:
I saw it in the news last time around as well, so I know Aphrael's not dreaming it.

And Drew, I too have lived in Texas and I'll guarantee you if it were up to the Republicans there, you'd be lucky to see the lowest echelon of untrained workers paid even a minimum wage.

Edited by Rhea, 01 August 2003 - 10:41 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, Democrats, Redistricting avoidance, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users