Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Skin-Lightening Cream

Health Medicine Skin lightening cream 2009

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

View PostBalthamos, on Nov 20 2009, 03:56 AM, said:

In the black community - there was a long shameful practice of "passing" - those blacks born light enough to use skin lightening and make up to pass for white

I think you could easily replace shameful with "cunning" here and it makes plenty of sense to me. Changing your attributes to get the better of a society that is unfair. Until you start renouncing and snubbing your family I wouldn't see any shame.

I get what you're saying, but it still doesn't make any sense-the arseholes in society are forcing dark-skinned folks to try to assimilate by denigrating who they are as people so they can fit in with whites.  These folks shouldn't have to be "cunning" to fit in-they should be accepted for who they are.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

I honestly don't feel I can get in to a debate about "passing" because I know very little about it and don't feel like researching right now so I'll just say a few things.

I get what you're saying, but it still doesn't make any sense-the arseholes in society are forcing dark-skinned folks to try to assimilate by denigrating who they are as people so they can fit in with whites. These folks shouldn't have to be "cunning" to fit in-they should be accepted for who they are.

No, they certainly shouldn't have but they did, that's how it (unjustly) was. I don't think we'll have any argument about the fact that the status quo at that point awful.

These folks shouldn't have to be "cunning" to fit in-they should be accepted for who they are.

I'd like to think that now in most places and most people that there is very little discrimination of this kind but we don't need to go through the exceptions because it's certain there are plenty.

I'm still in favour of the main reason for skin-lightening is from a different perception of what people perceive as beautiful but unless someone wants to look up some surveys and statistics on reasons people have given then I think we're all wading in to the territory of anecdotes and speculation.

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

sparky here's the difference (to me) between the tanning creams and the skin lightening creams.

When people want tans it's because they want to look like they've been in the sun.  Like they're healthier.

What GR is talking about is changing skin color, not to look healthy, but to look like someone with a different ethnicity, one which, unfortunately, has long been considered "superior".
Posted Image

#24 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Nov 20 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

sparky here's the difference (to me) between the tanning creams and the skin lightening creams.

When people want tans it's because they want to look like they've been in the sun.  Like they're healthier.

What GR is talking about is changing skin color, not to look healthy, but to look like someone with a different ethnicity, one which, unfortunately, has long been considered "superior".

Precisely-what Lil said. And for anyone to do this means they are suffering from a feeling of inferiority, deep inside. You'd think that Sammy Sousa-a major league baseball player who's made more money that most could ever dream of-wouldn't feel so insecure as to do this to himself. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#25 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

What Balth Said here:

I'm still in favour of the main reason for skin-lightening is from a different perception of what people perceive as beautiful but unless someone wants to look up some surveys and statistics on reasons people have given then I think we're all wading in to the territory of anecdotes and speculation.

I'll just add that with few times in UK's history (and I think France too) white people tried to make themselves look even whiter. Usually with lead paint, which is clearly a terrible idea. But it was not racially motivated, just a matter of fashion. Japan did it with geishas too, not out of an idea that white people are superior- just for fashion and white being symbolically linked to 'purity'. There are also goths- who want paler skin no matter what ethnicity they are. There is certainly an argument in the name of fashion and vanity and so on. Getting a sun tan may be natural, but burning it onto your skin in a sunbed isn't. Nor is using cream that usually turns people orange.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#26 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Sparky - as Lil said - it isn't about color just because it's appreciated, it's about disappreciating one's natural self. If at that time in Europe, some white people were made to feel inferior (not just less advantageously attractive like the blond/brunette divide) because of their darker white skin, and were actively oppressed because of their characteristics, we could reasonably compare.  I don't know the history, so you'll have to educate me there.

I do know black history - where the defining mark of our oppression was our skin color and our African features.  And I do know how shaming it is to have relatives perpetuate the idea that the only way to be attractive is to not have any of the features typical of your own ethnicity.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#27 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

And here I am wishing I had darker skin. I am not as pale as my sister, but still got the ginger paste skin goin' on all year round. Gotta be a vampire a lot and avoid the sun.

Honestly, I think dark skin is hot.

One kinda interesting thing about black peeps and film, most aptly exemplified in the third cinema film "Black Girl," is the lighting issue. The interesting part is that, even though the film pretty much says white people suck (in general) and are imperialist (I think it's the French colonization of an African country), the director (a black man) exposed everything so that white was in focus, and the black main character was a blob of darkness on the screen. I am not sure how intentional it was, but it really made an impression no me.

It's really too bad when people think they have to change themselves because some messed up societal conventions are telling them they're not good enough.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#28 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

QT, respectfully, I think you are missing my point. I'm not trying to make a comparison - my point is not that the reverse is true. It isn't. The point is that there are other motivations for wanting to whiten one's skin than simply feeling inferior, or being unhappy with one's ethnicity.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#29 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 20 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

QT, respectfully, I think you are missing my point. I'm not trying to make a comparison - my point is not that the reverse is true. It isn't. The point is that there are other motivations for wanting to whiten one's skin than simply feeling inferior, or being unhappy with one's ethnicity.

Sparky

Those other reasons are in a very very distant minority sparky. And because of that I don't think your comparison to tanning is on point.
Posted Image

#30 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Nov 20 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 20 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

Sparky

Those other reasons are in a very very distant minority sparky. And because of that I don't think your comparison to tanning is on point.

What Lil said.
Posted Image

#31 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

I have to take issue with something the woman wrote in her op-ed...

I know countless people who use skin lightening creams, and they’re all smart, confident and beautiful. But it doesn’t change the deep-seeded message about dark skin they’ve heard all their lives. It’s summarized perfectly in a quote from the movie Mississippi Masala: “You can be dark and have money, or you can be fair and have no money. But you can’t be dark and have no money and expect to marry Harry Patel.”

Uh, no on the two things I've bold faced. In particular, now-in the age of Obama. As a number of people have said, now that Obama is president-NO EXCUSES. I didn't see folks like Martin Luther King, his wife Coretta, Malcom X or Rosa Parks trying to make themselves look "white".

I understand why the writer is saying what she said-she doesn't want to offend her friends. But I have to be honest-it's foolish. This is just giving into peer pressure. If two million people do a foolish thing, it's STILL a foolish thing.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 22 November 2009 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Image

#32 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

View PostGhost Rider, on Nov 22 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

I have to take issue with something the woman wrote in her op-ed...

I know countless people who use skin lightening creams, and they’re all smart, confident and beautiful. But it doesn’t change the deep-seeded message about dark skin they’ve heard all their lives. It’s summarized perfectly in a quote from the movie Mississippi Masala: “You can be dark and have money, or you can be fair and have no money. But you can’t be dark and have no money and expect to marry Harry Patel.”

Uh, no on the two things I've bold faced. In particular, now-in the age of Obama. As a number of people have said, now that Obama is president-NO EXCUSES. I didn't see folks like Martin Luther King, his wife Coretta, Malcom X or Rosa Parks trying to make themselves look "white".

I understand why the writer is saying what she said-she doesn't want to offend her friends. But I have to be honest-it's foolish. This is just giving into peer pressure. If two million people do a foolish thing, it's STILL a foolish thing.

She may mean in other, and or many, aspects of their lives.... people are very multi-faceted, and some can be ages ahead of their peers in one subject or skill or whatever, but with or behind their peers in other areas.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Medicine, Skin lightening cream, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users