• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

Some of my friends had to leave their home due to flooding :(

How are the UK EIers? Hope you're all ok and your homes are dry and secure.

The bad weather has mostly affected Cumbria, North West Wales and Western Scotland according to The Guardian.

One man, a policeman, has died.

It is one of two bridges to have collapsed in the town, where conditions are described as "extremely dangerous" after torrential rain caused rivers to burst their banks.

Assistant Chief Constable Jerry Graham said: "He was directing motorists off the bridge, saving lives, when the tragic incident occurred."

:(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I think I actually heard about this on the radio this smorning. people were having to put holes in their roofs to get out. I dropped a zero doing the math when then describe the amount of rain in 24 hours. I thought they said 300 mm... I was thinking, 3 cm caused this much trouble... Oh, wait a second... 30 cm. sh*t, ~ a foot of rain in 24 hours. I hope the casualities are at a minimum....
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I heard about this on NPR (National Public Radio) and the Weather Channel. :(

{{{{Brits}}}

Stay safe!!

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

We get a LOT of flooding in the UK. :( But our rescue services are awesome - they really are heroes.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

We've had some rain down here on the South Cost, but nothing like they've had up North.

And at least it's not as bad as it was a couple of years back.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

BE SAFE UKERS!
Posted Image

#7 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Sorry to hear about your friends Sparky.  Hopefully they can find a nice dry spot to regroup.  Main thing is that everyone gets out okay.  Next thing are pets and photographs.  Most everything else can be replaced.

I heard about this on my local news tonight.  The pictures are very remincent of floodings around here.  So I can sympathize.

With that, I second Lil's stay safe senitment.  :hugs:
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#8 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:24 AM

Checking in from Southern Wales to say we are all fine here.  I believe they thought it was originally going to hit us, but it's gone further north.  We have a veil of fog and not much else.

Edit that:  I got home just in time from getting groceries it would seem.  Bloody monsoon out there now, but I've got posh coffee and squirty cream so I'll be fine.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

Stay safe!    {{{{{{{{{{{UK EIers}}}}}}}}}}}
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

We're fine in London, it's just windy.
Posted Image

#11 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I hope that all of UKer's are safe and dry.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#12 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

Fine in Bristol. Our house is on a hill street so the water runs right past it. Unbelievable amounts of rain though.
Rejected and gone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Severe weather, UK, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users