• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

(I don't usually post this sort of thing, so if it is in the wrong place please go ahead and move it.)

Patrick Stewart: the legacy of domestic violence

Patrick Stewart tells an intensely personal and moving story here.  I found it particularly moving, as the subject has personal notes for me as well.

I would quote part of this, but I really think it should be read as a whole, taking it apart would change the meaning I think.

On a lighter note, the article is at least worth a look for the picture of him as a baby! :cool:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on Nov 30 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

(I don't usually post this sort of thing, so if it is in the wrong place please go ahead and move it.)

Patrick Stewart: the legacy of domestic violence

Patrick Stewart tells an intensely personal and moving story here.  I found it particularly moving, as the subject has personal notes for me as well.

I would quote part of this, but I really think it should be read as a whole, taking it apart would change the meaning I think.
Yes, it belongs here, and thanks for posting it.  I'll add my comments later.  

On a lighter note, the article is at least worth a look for the picture of him as a baby! :cool:
Yes, yes it is.    :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

There's a link on there to Keira Knightley's advert against domestic abuse, and that is worth watching too.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 30 November 2009 - 12:13 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

There are many things about this article I found interesting, including how these experiences have affected his acting, and the difficult emotions he has struggled with.  I also think it is especially helpful when men speak out on this issue.
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

an LJ friend who is a big fan of Mr. Stewart linked to this and i am happy to see him speak out about this and that he supports an organization for fellow victims.

more men should follow his example.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

Most of us prefer the term" survivor" rather than "victim" for obvious reasons - one conveys strength and the other a certain passivity:

A  survivor is a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks; a victim is a person who suffers from a destructive action (according to most dictionaries).

(I don't mean to lecture but the differentiation between the two can be important.)

I'm glad to know Patrick Stewart has spoken out, and that he, too, is a survivor.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:32 AM

okay, survivor.  fair enough...you did not offend me. :)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

I am a victim and a survivor.  I use both terms, not completely interchangeably, but whichever happens to suit my current situation.  I suffer from the destructive action of others in my life, in spite of all the work of decades to overcome it, but I also function at a very high level, most days, because of all that work.  Strength in a survivor and passivity in a victim are connotations, not denotations.  I fought back, but I was still a victim; to say that a victim is passive is to blame the victim for not doing enough to keep from becoming a victim.  The fact that I still work on my survival, all these decades later, means I am strong.  

I also use the word 'cripple' as well as the more acceptable terms for my physical condition, because I reject the tendency to dysphemize perfectly good words that more accurately describe something that happens to make others uncomfortable.  What does dysphemism actually accomplish?  It robs us of the words we need to tell our own stories, and informs us that mealy-mouthed substitutes will do just as well.  They isolate us, set us adrift with limited connection to others, by informing us that what makes other uncomfortable is more important than the experiences of our own lives.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

^This is just an issue we'll have to agree to disagree on.  I'm a survivor because I choose to be; labelling myself as a victim gives a power to my abuser I choose not to give.

I am not, and never will be, a cripple. This is the Merrian Webster definition:

1 a sometimes offensive : a lame or partly disabled person or animal b : one that is disabled or deficient in a specified manner <a social cripple>
2 : something flawed or imperfect

I have a disability but I do not choose to allow it to cripple me, nor will I allow others to label me as a cripple.

We just have different ideas of which words we use and what they mean to us.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostRhea, on Dec 3 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

^This is just an issue we'll have to agree to disagree on.  I'm a survivor because I choose to be; labelling myself as a victim gives a power to my abuser I choose not to give.

I am not, and never will be, a cripple. This is the Merrian Webster definition:

1 a sometimes offensive : a lame or partly disabled person or animal b : one that is disabled or deficient in a specified manner <a social cripple>
2 : something flawed or imperfect

I have a disability but I do not choose to allow it to cripple me, nor will I allow others to label me as a cripple.

We just have different ideas of which words we use and what they mean to us.
Thank you very much for pointing out to me the kind of flaw that makes the Merriam Webster, among others, a dictionary too invested in dysphemism to be of interest to me.  I must admit, however, that I am impressed as well as surprised that they finally changed their misogynistic definition of "bluestocking."

I am a lame or partially disabled person, which makes me a cripple.  If others find that offensive, it is only because the word has suffered dysphemization.
Posted Image

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

We're not talking about "people," Nonny, we're talking about our individual decisions on how to label ourselves.  As I said upthread, we'll have to agree to disagree, because our opinions will continue to differ. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Rhea, 04 December 2009 - 10:29 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

View PostRhea, on Dec 4 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

We're not talking about "people," Nonny, we're talking about our individual decisions on how to label ourselves.  As I said upthread, we'll have to agree to disagree, because our opinions will continue to differ. Nothing wrong with that.
Then call me a cripple, because that is a word that accurately describes me, and I reject any notion that it is offensive.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patrick Stewart, domestic violence, women, women's issues, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users