Why do golden delicious apples have spots?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,790 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

So i was about to eat my breakfast, the titular golden delicious apple, and I began to wonder, just why do they have brown spots all over their skins.

I googled it, but found surprisingly little info.

Anyone?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

The same reason as leopards...
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#3 Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf
  • Islander
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

View PostRhys, on Dec 16 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

The same reason as leopards...

To blend into their environment so they will have an easier time hunting their prey?... I'm staying away from apples if that's the case.  :fear:

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,908 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

I don't know if this counts as a "why" but small sparse russet-colored "freckles" are a characteristic of the Golden Delicious that mostly emerges as it approaches or reaches optimal ripmess. Different local varieties or different growing regions will produce different levels of freckling, so it's probably a combination of genetics and environment.

This is of course not to be confused with "russeting" which is more pervasive, and should be avoided as an indication of a lower quality  specimen. Russeting is a think layer of cork-like scar tissue caused by damage to the epithelium in the first month or so after petal fall, and is associtaed with cold snaps, excessively damp weather etc. as well as some mildew, bacteria  or other agents, but he latter may be opportunistic infections. Interestingly, adding growth promotoers like gibberelins tends to reduce russeting, so it doesn't seem to be a growth stress.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two phenomena were vaguely related, but what may cause damage early in a fruit's development may just add an appealing touch of character when it is fully ripe and delicious -- much as with women.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users