37 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

Anyway.

Specs I hope you're good wherever you are and Palisade I'm glad you posted the thread anyways and I hope you'll be around a little more.
Posted Image

#22 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

Wow.  Alright, clearly I'm the bad guy so I'll leave y'all to it.  I would like to point out that the second post in this thread is from a guy that is never respectful or in any way excellent to Specs or most anyone really and he has gone after Specs and was allowed to do so.  I just find it hard to believe that anyone actually gives a crap.  I mean if anyone actually gave a crap I might have received a pm from some of y'all most excellent folks asking me what could be wrong, the only person who ever did anything like that is Cait. I can't say that I've gotten any pm's from anyone here, except mods but that was just to steer me away from trouble and then allow the same crap to continue.

Spec's, I'm sorry if I ruined a thread that was really meant to find out how you are doing, my bad I guess.

And Chipper, I wouldn't mind that you are all about the being excellent thing I just wish I saw more of it directed at others or possibly a pm.

Maybe I don't belong here, I can't seem to figure out how to be on this board.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#23 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

^^Maybe you should get out and about (away from OT) a little more.  Honestly, we have such a great board, and the people who leave in frustration typically do so because they spend their time almost exclusively HERE.  

OT is great when you're genuinely interested in the subject, passionate about it, or whatever.  But truly - it's only one aspect of the board - and of course, its the aspect most likely to cause conflict.  Meanwhile we've got great media discussions, artistic expression, and just plain silliness.  I'm sorry you didn't participate in Picture Day, Baldy.  It would have been fun to see you. (If you did, I missed you some how, and apologize).  But if you didn't, I suspect its because your experiences here, and in AQG don't make you feel like you want to be all that personal with us. Maybe for 2010, you and others can work at being around the board a bit more.  Honestly, I think OT discussions will go better if all of us are less concentrated here.

That's not a lecture btw.  It's a suggestion that I hope everyone finds useful.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#24 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

And an excellent suggestion.  Sometimes it alleviates the rancor to know that a political foe loves the same movies you do or shares the same hobby or roots for the same sports team.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#25 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jan 7 2010, 08:31 AM, said:

^^Maybe you should get out and about (away from OT) a little more.  Honestly, we have such a great board, and the people who leave in frustration typically do so because they spend their time almost exclusively HERE.  

OT is great when you're genuinely interested in the subject, passionate about it, or whatever.  But truly - it's only one aspect of the board - and of course, its the aspect most likely to cause conflict.  Meanwhile we've got great media discussions, artistic expression, and just plain silliness.  I'm sorry you didn't participate in Picture Day, Baldy.  It would have been fun to see you. (If you did, I missed you some how, and apologize).  But if you didn't, I suspect its because your experiences here, and in AQG don't make you feel like you want to be all that personal with us. Maybe for 2010, you and others can work at being around the board a bit more.  Honestly, I think OT discussions will go better if all of us are less concentrated here.

That's not a lecture btw.  It's a suggestion that I hope everyone finds useful.

QT

It's a good plan and I've tried to be out and about a bit.  I'm not that much into silliness, I don't have a lot of time to be on the interwebs, I'm one of the lucky, lucky ones that have a job and health insurance.  As far as picture day goes, I've never been comfortable posting my likeness on the internet.  I've never been that happy about photo's in general, I always always shut my eyes, if they aren't shut they are on their way to being shut.  :p

I might be out and about more once "House" picks up it's season again, I love me some House.  And "Dexter", oh my god, did anyone see that 4th season finale!?  :unsure:

Thanks QT!  :)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#26 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

There's a Dexter thread in Reviews. :whistle:

Cardie

#27 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

I think Nittany and I have some definite things in common when it comes to shows and stuff.  Then there's that whole cat thing.
Posted Image

#28 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

It's a mistake to assume that Specs has even left. When I last saw her post at the other board on New Year's Day, she was sick and grading papers. Depending on your schedule, school started again this week. She may just be buried, or she may be taking a break from posting.

I don't think we'll know till she comes back, and it's premature to assume that anyone is responsible.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#29 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

We love you Specs, but take care of yourself first.

Cardie

#30 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

It is comforting to know that people here care about one another.  That even if they may not agree with a poster, they miss that poster if they take a "vacation" from EI.  Everyone here adds their own unique "flavor" to our online soup.  So if Specs has disappeared for a while, we will welcome her back that much more when she decides to check in.  Just as I missed Lord of the Sword when he left, when he returned it was like having a missing piece of the puzzle found to complete the picture.  So, Baldy, please don't leave, but if you decide to take your own "vacation" then I will be very happy when you return.  You are as much a part of our island as anyone else.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#31 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

^^^Agreed!

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#32 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Personally I think it's absolutely fine (and nice too) to wonder out loud where someone who's often around but has lately not been around has been while at the same time commenting on a possible (in this case plausible) reason for the absence.  What bothers me is how scherzo responded though I was not remotely surprised.  What bothered me much more (and still does) is the insinuation that such an inquiry from a person people around here consider "conservative" made about a person people around here consider "liberal" could not only not be sincere but that the person doing the inquiring was actually the person who caused the absence.  I mean have we really come to that?  Palisade didn't do anything wrong.

Edited by Bad Wolf, 07 January 2010 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#33 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jan 7 2010, 10:30 PM, said:

Personally I think it's absolutely fine (and nice too) to wonder out loud where someone who's often around but has lately not been around has been while at the same time commenting on a possible (in this case plausible) reason for the absence.  What bothers me is how scherzo responded though I was not remotely surprised.
Anyone who hadn't seen my post would probably assume I said something along the lines of "good riddance", judging by you and Balderdash's bellyaching. One wonders what dark meaning you've managed to project on what I said. In the meantime Lil, since you know my posts are going to annoy you...why don't you just refrain from reading them?(seriously) Chiming in with the out of the blue dis, is only going to make things exponentially worse.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#34 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Scherzo I said that your response upset but didn't surprise  (meaning that I just consider the source and move on).  Really no biggie.  And what gives you the idea that all your posts annoy me?  Have you been paying attention to how much we've been agreeing lately on issues related to terrorism?  I've only ever put two people on permanent ignore.  Believe me you don't come close to warranting even a temporary one.  So, I'm thinking that maybe the *real* question might be why you keep reading mine.  

Anywho yours was not the thing I was mainly addressing in my above post.  Thought I'd point that out as it seems to have escaped your attention...
Posted Image

#35 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

I'm still alive, folks, just taking a break. I'm sure I'll be back some day.
Thanks for asking and for the kind words.

Much appreciated :),

Specs
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#36 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

^^^It's nice to know you're OK. :waves:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#37 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 8 2010, 03:30 PM, said:

I'm still alive, folks, just taking a break. I'm sure I'll be back some day.
Thanks for asking and for the kind words.

Much appreciated :),

Specs

Happy New Year. :)  Sorry we missed you for Picture Day!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#38 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

View PostChipper, on Jan 6 2010, 10:51 AM, said:

View PostBalderdash, on Jan 6 2010, 07:55 AM, said:

View PostPalisade, on Jan 5 2010, 01:20 PM, said:

She's gone missing. Even more missing than me. (I'm incredibly busy right now and don't have time to get bogged down in threads.)

Did she get fed up with OT and decide to take some time off? Can't say I blame her.

:dontgetit:  I'm almost positive that you were the last person she talked to when she was here.  It's funny to see the people that are checking on her welfare.  She's my friend and I don't know if I hope she returns, I mean I do of course miss her here but she doesn't get treated very well and she's such an awesome person that she should get treated well.

?!  Just because people vehemently disagree and yes, argue, doesn't mean that they aren't concerned for the well being of others and hope that the people they interact with on a regular basis are well.  I'd think you'd be happy people think about her.

Agreed.  Not to mention pointing fingers at a couple of people and suggesting they may have something to do with it.  In any case, Spec's has her reasons, and only she would know them.  Speculation is irrelevant.

It would not surprise me if Spec's severely disliked me, as we seem to disagree in a great many things.  Sometimes I can agree with her, but we seem to usually disagree.  But that doesn't mean I am not concerned with her well being.  I am.  I didn't post this earlier, and maybe I should have.  I guess I felt she wouldn't want me posting in a thread about her.

However, Enke is right, and so is Chipper.  And their posts swayed me to say that I do miss Specs, just as much as I would miss LotS, Analog Kid, NueralClone and many others who are on EI.  Yeah, Spec's and I may disagree, but she doesn't do it in spite or to be a pain, and neither do I, really.  She says what she feels is right, and I respect that, completely.  That's how I post as well.

It is good to know you are okay.  I get in my own funks too, and need a break from EI, so do what you have to do.  Hope to see you back when your ready to. Peace.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Missing member, Spectacles, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users