• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Why was this particular quake so deadly? Was it population density or the way Haitian buildings are constructed?

7.0 is classified as a major quake, but about 18 quakes in the 7.0 to 7.9 range occur per year (of course not all of those 18 quakes necessarily occur in populated areas).

Still, the fatality figures coming in from Haiti seem on the high side of what usually happens when a 7.0 quake hits a populated area, unless I am mistaken.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#22 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

i imagine cuz of population density.

wikipedia says this:
[Port-au-Prince's] official population was 704,776 as of the 2003 census.  it has probly grown in size in the last seven years.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#23 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

View PostCheile, on Jan 17 2010, 07:21 PM, said:

i imagine cuz of population density.

wikipedia says this:
[Port-au-Prince's] official population was 704,776 as of the 2003 census.  it has probly grown in size in the last seven years.

And that probably didn't include those living close, but outside of official city limits.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#24 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

This is bit of good news:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

Haitian orphans rushed to new homes abroad

Slashing red tape or ignoring ordinarily required paperwork, officials in the United States and the Netherlands have cleared the way for scores of Haitian orphans to leave their earthquake-ravaged homeland, according to officials from the two countries.

All of the children had adoptions pending with prospective parents in the two countries before Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude quake, and government officials said paperwork was expedited or put on hold to make transfers happen on an emergency basis.

300 children have pending adoption cases with American families. Six children arrived in Florida Sunday night, met by their adoptive parents with hugs and tears of happiness.

Slashing red tap and paperwork can only be a good thing for these kids when near any and all paperwork on Haiti's end is probably buried and unretrievable. It sounds like they are only doing this for kids who foreign adopted parents have some paperwork on their, so there is a partial trail at least that the process was started.

Edited by sierraleone, 17 January 2010 - 10:27 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#25 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

It was a mix of population density and building construction. Most of Port-au-Prince's building are either old,the result of graft, shoddily constructed or all three.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#26 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Someone on the news said there is "no building code" in Haiti.  I don't know if that's true (after all, I saw it on the news), but if so, that would explain the scope of the destruction.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#27 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

View PostBklnScott, on Jan 17 2010, 11:06 PM, said:

Someone on the news said there is "no building code" in Haiti.  I don't know if that's true (after all, I saw it on the news), but if so, that would explain the scope of the destruction.

I'v read elsewhere (don't know if it is true either) that they *do* have a building code (how strong, didn't say) but due to corruption and other things, it is rarely enforced.

- Masha Gessen

#28 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Also, the most popular material for constructing substandard buildings there is concrete, which is much more deadly when it collapses on you than a wood and grass hut in some other region of the world would be.

One of the major "code infractions" is that they build just with concrete blocks and don't use reinforcing steel rebar because it is too expensive for the impoverished nation.

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 17 January 2010 - 11:31 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#29 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

and while there is still devastation everywhere, stories like this restore my faith in humanity just a tiny bit:

http://news.yahoo.co...emediaaustralia

Australian media crews pull baby from Haiti rubble

SYDNEY (AFP) – Rival Australian news crews said Monday that saving a life came before doing their jobs when they rescued an 18-month-old baby from underneath the rubble in earthquake devastated Haiti.

The little girl was lying alongside the bodies of her dead parents who were killed in the 7.0 magnitude earthquake which hit Port-au-Prince on January 12 when the camera crews heard her moans and began to dig her out on Friday.

Richard Moran, a cameraman with the commercial Nine Network, put down his camera and lifted pieces of concrete out of the way while Nine's interpreter and fixer Deiby Celestino climbed into the tangled mess to retrieve the child.

The images of the child's rescue were captured by Nine's major rival Seven, and footage beamed around the world showed the network's correspondent Mike Amor holding the dusty little girl and giving her water.

Amor said the news crews and the locals who had helped locate the girl were concentrated on rescuing the child rather than news priorities.

Channel Nine's news director Mark Calvert said while disasters can sometimes bring out the very worst in journalists, they can also produce the best.

"I'm proud of the Nine News team, who put the welfare of the little girl before their own safety, and placed their personal convictions before professional pressures," he said in a statement to AFP.  "Yes, they put down their camera to help. But they also filed their story. And most importantly, they helped save a life."

:)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#30 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'm listening to the Leonard Lopait Show on NPR, and the guest there said just now that it was a big mistake for Haiti's current president to admit he was homeless on CNN. The reason? According to the guest, the leader of Haiti needs to show leadership-to try and give people some semblance of hope. By admitting he was homeless and had nowhere to go, this would cause the average citizen to think, "If this is the president of Haiti, what chance do I have?"

I hate to say it-but I find myself agreeing with this guest.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#31 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Mr Dust, not only did the USS Carl Vinson deploy straight to Haiti, but arrived on the 15th and used its helicopters to bypass the crippled airport.   The USNS Comfort, a floating hospital, requires prep time, and is expected to arrive Wednesday.

Edited by Nonny, 18 January 2010 - 11:41 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#32 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

I heard somewhere that the earthquake was very close to the surface, which caused it to have a much bigger impact. Don't know how accurate that is.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#33 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

The Haitian govt is claiming 200,000 dead with 70,000 bodies recovered so far. If true, that would be 1 in 4 people that lived in Port-au-Prince according to the population estimate posted in this thread.

Earlier, the Red Cross was estimating the death toll at 35,000 to 50,000.

Edited by Palisade, 18 January 2010 - 08:51 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#34 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

An aftershock hit this morning a couple of hours ago; magnitude of 6. Hopefully there won't be more.

#35 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

USNS Comfort arrived Wednesday and is treating patients
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#36 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

View PostCardie, on Jan 17 2010, 11:29 PM, said:

Also, the most popular material for constructing substandard buildings there is concrete, which is much more deadly when it collapses on you than a wood and grass hut in some other region of the world would be.

One of the major "code infractions" is that they build just with concrete blocks and don't use reinforcing steel rebar because it is too expensive for the impoverished nation.

Cardie

I know what I'm about to say is monstrous...but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's EXACTLY the way some people want it.

As horrific as it is for me to say it, it's ALSO a harsh truth: dead people don't complain. And as far as some are concerned, the more poor dead people, the better.

Edited by Analog Kid, 21 January 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#37 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

A"poor" boy...? said:

Posted Image

Je vis.

Je vis.

And yet, this boy, he lives. Why? We don't know. He shouldn't have been saved. They shouldn't have saved him. But, they did. And he lives. Not only that, but he smiled. After everything he's been through.

He smiled.

We don't know what's ahead for him, maybe hardship and strife, as it may have been before, only now sadder, not knowing how many of his family and friends may be gone.

But in that one moment, he knew.

He knew the joy.

The joy of being alive.

And being poor couldn't touch it.

Somehow, he goes on.

As poor as he seems.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#38 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

That's his sister in the yellow tank top.  She was rescued too, first, and he was too scared to come out until they brought her back over to coax him out.  Unbelievable they survived this long.  I wonder if they had access to water in their confinement somehow.

Also heard of a touching scene with our Marines - they had been told to wait while the commanding group, U.N. or Isael, I forget told them to start distributing food, but at a certain point they began,
and the next day, the Haitians came back and they did not come empty handed.  :)
They had split open coconuts and handed them out to the Marines that had fed them the day before.
Semper Fi, good soldiers.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#39 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on Jan 21 2010, 05:43 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Jan 17 2010, 11:29 PM, said:

Cardie

I know what I'm about to say is monstrous...but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's EXACTLY the way some people want it.

As horrific as it is for me to say it, it's ALSO a harsh truth: dead people don't complain. And as far as some are concerned, the more poor dead people, the better.
Worst...

wedding toast...

ever! :(
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#40 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

Unbelievable they survived this long. I wonder if they had access to water in their confinement somehow.

Yeah, they surely must have?

Our team came back recently. They said they'd been working on the rubble-that-used-to-be-a-school, only they were a few days late because no body knew about it until then. Wtf? Who forgot about that school full of children? Surely there is a list somewhere of schools, instead they got almost no one out alive because they didn't know it was there. It just...sickens me. :headshake:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake in Haiti, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users