57 replies to this topic

#41 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 23 2010, 11:50 AM, said:

Our team came back recently. They said they'd been working on the rubble-that-used-to-be-a-school, only they were a few days late because no body knew about it until then. Wtf? Who forgot about that school full of children? Surely there is a list somewhere of schools, instead they got almost no one out alive because they didn't know it was there. It just...sickens me. :headshake:

Sparky

It depends I imagine.... If it was just in the Haiti government's records, then the list may be beneath rubble.... I'm surprised (in a good way) the amount of international adoptions that have been fast-tracked and red-tape cut by foreign governments when the paperwork is not complete (presumably the adoptive parents have their own, but only the paperwork needed on their end, not on the paperwork Haiti required on their end in their own systems...). One adoptive parent even said they know this could screw things up down the road (I don't know how much Haiti is being included in this fast-track process, so maybe her concern is they'll say it wasn't done properly and require the kid to go back to Haiti, and tell them they need to reprocess what they do on their end and/or ask for more money, or whatever), but she didn't care at the moment, just wanted the child to for-sure live.

Edited by sierraleone, 23 January 2010 - 03:27 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#42 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 23 2010, 11:50 AM, said:

Unbelievable they survived this long. I wonder if they had access to water in their confinement somehow.

Yeah, they surely must have?

I don't know, I have heard there has been no rain....They usually say you can't survive more than three days, or seventy-two hours, without water.... but perhaps they mean under normal activity levels, and while eating too (I imagine digestion happens easier with a well hydrated system, so digesting without proper levels of hydration cannot be good....). Without eating and physical activity (which of course will cause problems in the long term), I imagine the length of time one can live without water may be increased.

- Masha Gessen

#43 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

^ They may have been able to get water to him before they were able to dig him out.

Re schools - I just googled for a list and got one immediately. Wikipedia, as expected, has a full list of the schools in Haiti.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#44 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

With so many buildings down and people needing help, they don't seem to have prioritized wheich sites were to be searched first but seem to have gone by where people had heard sounds of life.

One man who was rescued within the last 24 hours was trapped in a produce store, so he could get both nutrition and hydration from the fruit.  I suspect many long-term survivors could find something to drink where they were trapped. That's why the number of survivors was relatively high in that Caribbean Market building.

But I saw figures today that only 135 people have been rescued while the confirmed death toll is over 100,000. :(

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 23 January 2010 - 07:55 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#45 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Canadian donations are up to 67 million... And the government decided to end its cap on matching donations dollar for dollar (was at a 50 million cap). I imagine there is still a deadline (which was originally until a month after the disaster, so somewhere around Feb 12th), but it doesn't seem to say either way.

- Masha Gessen

#46 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

But I saw figures today that only 135 people have been rescued while the confirmed death toll is over 100,000.

I heard 200,000 :(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#47 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm reading about contributions from small countries like Mauritius (a group of islands off of Madagascar), and Morocco, Iceland, among others.

http://www.huffingto...e_b_432428.html

- Masha Gessen

#48 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 24 2010, 12:39 PM, said:

But I saw figures today that only 135 people have been rescued while the confirmed death toll is over 100,000.

Sparky

It will probably get that high.  These are supposedly confirmed deaths--although I don't know how they can really count them--not people still missing under rubble or who may die from injuries in the coming days or weeks.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#49 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

I'm wanting to hear what the Dominican Republic is doing, and how they are or aren't handling their border to cope with refugees wanting out and aid and relatives getting in.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#50 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostNonny, on Jan 21 2010, 02:35 PM, said:

VAMC staff, retired military, other veterans with medical experience volunteer to assist in disasters.  My favorite retired Navy nurse has volunteered for the USNS Comfort (she served on the Comfort in Desert Storm), but is down pretty far on the list, so many have stepped forward.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 24 2010, 11:57 AM, said:

I'm wanting to hear what the Dominican Republic is doing, and how they are or aren't handling their border to cope with refugees wanting out and aid and relatives getting in.
They're trying, but traffic is heavy on the bottleneck between the nations.  I heard (tried to find link, couldn't) that they aren't checking papers anymore.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#52 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

While looking for a link I never did find, I found this:

Amid Death And Destruction: New Life In Haiti

Despite the grim scene in Haiti, life, for some, goes on. NPR's John Poole and Joanne Silberner have been embedded with the Massachusetts 1 Disaster Medical Assistance Team in a field hospital in Port-au-Prince.

Obstetrician Anne Kathryn Goodman oversees births at the Health and Human Services field hospital. As of Friday morning, Jan. 22, six babies had been delivered at the field hospital. Poole and Silberner were there to document the delivery of little Sampson Brazile....
The miracle of life amid the destruction.  Awe-inspiring.
Posted Image

#53 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

for those who have LiveJournal....

http://news.livejour...com/121471.html

Beginning next week, from Thursday, January 28th, 4pm, through Saturday, January 30th, 3:59pm, PST, we'll donate 100 percent of the proceeds from all vgift sales to CARE and UNICEF (we'll cover the credit card processing fees).

i have heard that certain LJ groups have raised tens of thousands in aid.

it's amazing what ppl will do when they band together, eh?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#54 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

This is pretty amazing:

http://www.justgivin...ieSimpson-HAITI
Posted Image

#55 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

View PostNonny, on Jan 25 2010, 12:12 AM, said:

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 24 2010, 11:57 AM, said:

They're trying, but traffic is heavy on the bottleneck between the nations.  I heard (tried to find link, couldn't) that they aren't checking papers anymore.

Is the Dominican Republic also receiving help from the international community in order to cope with the refugees? I haven't seen or heard anything about it...

#56 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

View PostPixiedust, on Jan 25 2010, 08:20 AM, said:

That is so cool. From his 500 target, he has now raised almost ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POUNDS and then you've gotta plus the almost 40k for gift aid. That's pushing two hundred thousand pounds - enough to provide safe water for almost 21000 families*

*UNICEF's basic family water kit costs 91. One kit can provide safe drinking water for 10 families.

Edited by Mr Dust, 26 January 2010 - 08:57 AM.

[Insert Signature Here]

#57 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

Sailors on the Baatan with relatives in Haiti

... Hours after he boarded the ship Thursday, word came from his father in New York that at least three of his family members were killed -- a cousin and two uncles, one of whom helped raise him.

Bossous is among roughly 20 sailors with close ties to Haiti who are aboard the Norfolk-based Bataan, now en route to deliver humanitarian aid to victims of this week's catastrophic earthquake...

Fireman Ketlynn Suarez said she feels the same way. Her grandmother and sister, whom she describes as her only family, live on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince. She hasn't been able to reach them since the magnitude-7.0 earthquake struck...

The Bataan's commander, Capt. Sam Howard, said he's keenly aware that his crew includes some sailors who feel a special urgency to reach Haiti. They're expected to arrive next week [this article is dated 1-17]...

Howard and other officers worked quickly to bring aboard several Haitians and Creole-speakers to supplement those regularly assigned to the Bataan.

"Even though our exact mission hasn't been spelled out yet, we know we can't be successful without people who understand the country, the culture and the language," Howard said. "I know I'm going to be relying on them throughout this effort."

Fireman Jean Souffrant, who is 24 and grew up in Haiti, is among those who came aboard especially for this mission. His 8-year-old daughter, his sister and several other relatives are among the disaster's homeless survivors....

Posted Image

#58 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

View PostCardie, on Jan 24 2010, 01:08 PM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 24 2010, 12:39 PM, said:

Sparky

It will probably get that high.  These are supposedly confirmed deaths--although I don't know how they can really count them--not people still missing under rubble or who may die from injuries in the coming days or weeks.

Cardie

2004 quake numbers. :(

Edited by Analog Kid, 26 January 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake in Haiti, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users