• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

"A top scientist gave a speech to the Texas Academy of Science last month in which he advocated the need to exterminate 90% of the population through the airborne ebola virus."

http://www.bibliotec...ol_depopu18.htm
Top Scientist Advocates Mass Culling 90% Of Human Population

H'm . . . whom should we start with? Republicans? Fox News? People who watch cartoons?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Wow! Is he running to be the next chairman of the IPCC? Whackjobs are us?
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well, when a guy gets his leg blown off playing with a bazooka as a kid, you can expect a few of his marbles to have been knocked loose.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Wow, now THERE is someone desperately trying to get into the Evil League of Evil. He must have graduated with a PhD in horribleness.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

This reminds me of the novel called the Cobra Event I read in the 7th grade.

I dunno. This sort of...way of thinking...I mean, eugenics is something many countries in the world have done, from the USA to Japan to the most famous case of Hitler, but this sort of thing goes way beyond that.

On one hand, he's right. The human species is incredibly overpopulated. on the other hand, he's dead wrong, because, well, I think that is really obvious.

On a third hand, I tend to romanticize that sort of fiction. Post apocalypse, last man on earth sort of greatly reduced population where people start over somehow.

But that's fiction.

I might hate a great deal of people, and am annoyed with even more, and might joke about it but I do not wish death on anyone. And I think it's one thing to think about it and another to call for it, to the point of the specificity of the ebola virus (which would be a freaking awful way to go).
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#6 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

Why not just take down the idiot-proofing and let overpopulation sort itself out?
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

I have a better idea. Let's start with Dr. Pianka and his buddies. The air would at least be clearer.  :suspect:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

I'm all for eliminating anyone who isn't perfect, the gene pool can do without some over bread features.
They tend to kill themselves off, as long as modern medicine doesn't interfere.

I look at death as the small print on your birth certificate. We have been killing ourselves off with wars and poor judgment since the dawn of the human race on this planet.

The solution to culling the herd...China did a good job, couples where only allowed to have one child, the male child supports the parents in their old age, so the government had to advertise with billboards that women where good too.
Too many female fetuses where aborted. Now they have herds of "Little Emperors " roaming the country side looking for a mate. I've run into a few that have immigrated to Canada looking for brides.
(This is a good thing, we need more people in Canada, no shortage of leg room up here.)

The solution to culling the herd...education. That will do it. Educated people have less children it's a fact.
Once we all have a quantitative education we will cull our numbers naturally. :D

Edited by D.Rabbit, 14 January 2010 - 11:55 PM.

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:51 PM

Maybe we should ask Pat Robertson.:oh:

Edited by Analog Kid, 14 January 2010 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

At one point I was deeply worried about the "Idiocracy effect--" smart, successful people tend to have fewer children than their dumber less successful people.  Fortunately, stupid parents raise smart kids all the time, so the future of the species isn't solely based on who outbreeds who.

#11 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

^True, very true, though in many cases smart kids raise themselves despite stupid parents. Such as in my Stepdad's case.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

What an idiot. 90% of the population? And you'd have to work hard to find a nastier way to die than Ebola.

I figure things are rolling along without our help. The fact that China's birthrate is in the negative figures is hopeful, too.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

I should probably try to remember where, but I read or heard recently that the rate at which the population is increasing is decreasing. So we're getting larger, still, but at a smaller and smaller rate of increase. (Slower and slower?)

Which, as Rhea pointed out, is hopeful. It would be cool to get a balance in population where the same number of people die that are born. I think a stable population could be interesting to see in terms of what it would do to economies, consumerism, inflation, etc. etc.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#14 maryavatar

maryavatar

Peachy

• Islander
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostCybersnark, on Jan 15 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

Why not just take down the idiot-proofing and let overpopulation sort itself out?
Exactly.  It's one thing protecting vulnerable members of society, but making every aspect of life idiot-proof?  Not helpful.
"When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name.'"

#15 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostRhea, on 14 January 2010 - 11:48 PM, said:

I have a better idea. Let's start with Dr. Pianka and his buddies. The air would at least be clearer.  :suspect:

Ding-Ding! We have a winner.  If everyone who hates other people, and I don't mean personal grudges, I mean people who just hate other people in general. The ones who think other people should die to make room, well, THEY should kill themselves.  That way they'd make the room they think we so desperately need and save mother Earth some stress.  Besides, they seem to hate it here so much that they think it'd be great if a ton of people dropped dead. or were weeded out.

The bonus for the rest of us, we'd be spared their complaining.  Won't happen though, they don't have that much self awareness, they are so impressed with their own intellect they think it's everyone else who should have to die.

Edited by LiberalBob, 13 July 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Ethics, Research, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users