Earthquake Haiti Aide 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

It was very interesting to watch the two ex Presidents on Fox News Sunday and Meet the Press this morning regarding the earthquake disaster in Haiti.  I'm hoping that the two Presidents can be as successful as Bush 41 and Clinton were in Tsunami Relief a few years back.

Over the last decade, the use of ex-Presidents has been phenomenal when it comes to taking on projects like this.  It actually gives me such a sense of pride in America to see our leaders continue to lead in humanitarian relief after their terms in office.

Given the political chaos that can so often fill the airwaves here in the US, it's so good to see such unity when it comes to things like this.  I was impressed with both Presidents in the interviews. Both Presidents have experience in disaster relief and I hope both have learned from past mistakes how to get this done as fast as possible.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

I agree.  It's not about politics, and both of them know it.  As I said in another thread, if this is to be Bush II's reemergence into the national theater, it's definitely a good one.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have to wonder if Bush the elder is too weak to join Clinton.  I haven't heard anything on his health, but last time I saw him interviewed,
he seemed ... frail.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#4 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Agreed.  It was an excellent re-emergence.

Source:

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 17 2010, 12:00 PM, said:

I have to wonder if Bush the elder is too weak to join Clinton.  I haven't heard anything on his health, but last time I saw him interviewed,
he seemed ... frail.

I wondered that as well.  I sure hope he is doing well.  It's good to see [and hear] Bush Jr, but I miss Bush Sr's voice of calm and reason in times like this.  

But, I have to admit, I felt as reassured watching Bush Jr and Clinton as I did when I listened to Bush Sr and Clinton during the Tsunami Relief project.  

I say, put those Ex's to work for the world.  That's the kind of role America should play as well, and who's better than Ex Presidents.

Source:

#6 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

I think it's pretty cool too.  And President Obama would probably still have chosen Bush II because it's time and because I think the President is just that kind of respectful person, despite differences.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I like Bush II a lot better since he left office. :p

He refuses to comment on any of Obama's actions, which I think is really classy. And I like how he stepped up to the plate on Haiti.

We wondered about Bush the elder as well. In the past he always went to the Dallas games, at home and on the road. And he was absent from the game today. I hope he's not sick. I didn't think he was a good president, but he seems like a hell of a good guy.

Edited by Rhea, 17 January 2010 - 06:52 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Earthquake Haiti, Aide, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users