#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:04 PM

Just saw this on CNN.

thoughts?

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:33 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:01 PM

About bloody time.. :glare:

--
Han
Han

#3 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:52 PM

I hope it makes *some* difference, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 11:27 PM

Hrmph.

It's nice to know that after our troops are deployed to the area, the UN is there to throw in their unarmed peacekeepers.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:42 AM

Taylor Agrees to Cede Power Aug. 11

Embattled President Charles Taylor has agreed to cede power on Aug. 11, West African envoys and Taylor's spokesman said.  The announcement came after envoys presented Taylor with a Thursday deadline, set by his fellow regional heads of state, to cede power.

Rov:
It's nice to know that after our troops are deployed to the area, the UN is there to throw in their unarmed peacekeepers.

Someone has to have the job of playing babysitter. ;)   At least we aren't subjugated to the UN chain of command.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 EvilTree

EvilTree

my silence is my pervading call

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 02:42 PM

Two separate chain of commands with basically same objective. In military, that's a good recipe for disaster. Somalia anyone? (Unless US and UN have their own mandates which does not overlap each other.)
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Self control is chef element in self respect. Self respect is chief element in courage."
-Thucydides

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

EvilTree, on Aug 2 2003, 07:42 PM, said:

Two separate chain of commands with basically same objective. In military, that's a good recipe for disaster. Somalia anyone?
Actually Somalia would have just been fine if it hadn’t been for the stupidity of the Clinton Administration.  Leaving Task Force Ranger without sufficient air support and with no organic armor was the weakness they got hit by.  In this case we are dealing with a full MEU off the coast of Liberia.  They have combat equipment ranging from LAVs to AAVs, to Abrams and Harriers.  An MEU is more than capable of handling anything that it runs into for Liberia.

While a join chain of command isn’t the best.  Neither is ROE that end with your soldiers tied to trees while the other side rapes and pillages around them or allows enemy soldiers to pass through your lines attacking civilians.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#8 EvilTree

EvilTree

my silence is my pervading call

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:56 PM

If a Marine MEU is sufficient enough to do the job, why bother allowing UN to come into Liberia at all?

If they end up tripping over each other's feet, it can get pretty messy.

Is a copy of the resolution up on the net yet?
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Self control is chef element in self respect. Self respect is chief element in courage."
-Thucydides

#9 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:03 PM

Eviltree: If a Marine MEU is sufficient enough to do the job, why bother allowing UN to come into Liberia at all?

The Marine MEU is more than sufficient to handle any combat threat including getting the two sides separated by force if need be.  Or lesser tasks like hunting down war criminals or others who attempt to break the peace.  Essentially it would be a similar task to what Task Force Ranger was handling but with sufficient firepower and support to get them out of trouble when they get into it.  Rather then relying on the typical cumbersome, idiotic, and downright convoluted chain of command for UN peacekeeping operations.

The UN ”troops” on the other hand can handle the task of dispersing and observing that the peace is being followed.  You'd need more than a MEU for that type of tasking and dispersal of forces.  A typical UN operation but this time with the US Marines around to haul them out of the fire they are sure to get into.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: United Nations, Liberia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users