Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Six Republican Ideas in the Health Care Bill

Health Care 2010 Republican ideas

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

http://voices.washin...health_car.html

At this point, I don't think it's well understood how many of the GOP's central health-care policy ideas have already been included as compromises in the health-care bill. But one good way is to look at the GOP's "Solutions for America" homepage, which lays out its health-care plan in some detail. It has four planks. All of them -- yes, you read that right -- are in the Senate health-care bill.

• "Let families and businesses buy health insurance across state lines."
  • "Allow individuals, small businesses, and trade associations to pool together and acquire health insurance at lower prices, the same way large corporations and labor unions do." This is the very purpose of the exchanges, as defined in Section 1312.
  • "Give states the tools to create their own innovative reforms that lower health care costs." Section 1302 of the Senate bill does this directly.
  • "End junk lawsuits."
  • The tax break for employer-sponsored insurance.
  • And finally, we shouldn't forget the compromises that have been the most painful for Democrats, and the most substantive. This is a private-market plan.

The list contains exact quotes, but the article spells each item out in a paragraph or two.

QT

Edited by SparkyCola, 09 February 2010 - 03:55 PM.
to add cool it icon

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Yet your President has said Republicans do not offer anything.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 8 2010, 08:32 PM, said:

Along with a number of other Democrats. ;)  Kind of hard to discuss things like HC when an elite group of Democrats pound out a 2,000+ page bill behind cloosed doors in secret.  You know, the bill where most people still don't know what's in it.  Yeah, that one.  ;)  The big problem with Democrats is that their majority status has gone to their heads.  A common problem that affects a lot of politicians in general, regardless of what party they are.

They're over-thinking this whole thing.  They want a grand plan to "over-haul" healthcare and look like heroes (or at least think they will).  When, in fact, all HC needs is a tune-up.

1. "Let families and businesses buy health insurance across state lines."

I've been a huge supporter of this from day 1.  This alone will reduce HC costs.  How?  Competition.  When you have competing companies, they lower their rates to be more appealing to people looking for policies.  Look at auto insurance. Works well.  And people have choices.  Win-win for consumers.

2.  "Allow individuals, small businesses, and trade associations to pool together and acquire health insurance at lower prices, the same way large corporations and labor unions do." This is the very purpose of the exchanges, as defined in Section 1312.

A sound option for those willing to participate.

3.  "Give states the tools to create their own innovative reforms that lower health care costs." Section 1302 of the Senate bill does this directly.
"End junk lawsuits."

So long as it allows for other insurance companies from other states to compete.

4.  The tax break for employer-sponsored insurance.

This would help ease expense burdens on business and give them a chance to grow and prosper.  The healthier the business, the healthier the economy.

5.  And finally, we shouldn't forget the compromises that have been the most painful for Democrats, and the most substantive. This is a private-market plan.

Agreed.

Controlling things with an iron fist does not solve anything.  In fact, government run HC will not make it more affordable for many people.  The best solutions are often the most simple.  This "grand plan" of taking over hc because Big Brother knows better is a recipe for disaster.  And instead of a 2,000+ page bill most have no idea what the content is, we have one that would be a few pages long that is to the point and effective.  Not to mention all 5 proposals can be effective almost immediately instead of 4-5 years from now.  Less pages also means the bill is more green.  That last sentence was a joke.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on Feb 8 2010, 11:51 PM, said:

Controlling things with an iron fist does not solve anything.  In fact, government run HC will not make it more affordable for many people.  The best solutions are often the most simple.  This "grand plan" of taking over hc because Big Brother knows better is a recipe for disaster.  And instead of a 2,000+ page bill most have no idea what the content is, we have one that would be a few pages long that is to the point and effective.  Not to mention all 5 proposals can be effective almost immediately instead of 4-5 years from now.  Less pages also means the bill is more green.  That last sentence was a joke.

And if they can control people's healthcare they can exercise other controls. Big Brother indeed and action.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

View PostG1223, on Feb 8 2010, 11:13 PM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on Feb 8 2010, 11:51 PM, said:

And if they can control people's healthcare they can exercise other controls. Big Brother indeed and action.

They already own 52% of GM.  They want to control 1/6th of our economy with Health Care.  They're making threats with banks.  Most definitely Big Brother in action.  All this happened because they took advantage of people's outrage of Bush's actions.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:37 AM

Well consider how they helped that banking crisis along. Makes you wonder were they looking to carry out a plan or was simple greed. My first idea is jump at greed. Because it explains a lot and explains why some of them did it but look at the people a lot of folks in the administration took inspiration from. People who want to TAKE from the rich and give it to the poor. I mean not what I think they want but what they say. Van Jones who was suppose to be  another of these Czars. Gave a speech where he talks openly about taking from those that have the means and giving to those who do not.

There is a lot of thought behind this. And I can say I think America is starting to wake up.

But back to the banking mess. Look at who was on the Congressional Banking Commitee. Chris Dodd who got direct loan from Lending Tree but nothing wrong there. He just "Happened" to get a LOWER rate than others. Dodd was one who pushed hard to have the Banking Restrictions removed by Clinton.

But to hear the Dems in the Congress and the White House it was Bush who did all this. Mr. Dodd would never have supported anything like this. ANd yet it was Bush who asked for a closer eye to be taken with FreddyMac and Fannie May. And Dodd who said none was needed.

How much are we STILL pumping into those bottomless holes?

TANSTAAFL

#7 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

View PostG1223, on Feb 9 2010, 04:32 AM, said:

The Democrats have apparently accepted all the Republicans' proposals, the Republicans seemingly have no more ideas, and yet obstruct anyway.  So why is that not a fair statement?

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

LOL Your President heard what was said then kept trying to march his line of crap. Your President wants this big massive program. And a growing majority of the people are making it clear that they do not support it.

TANSTAAFL

#9 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

Who is this evil "they"?

Time line of the banking crisis, from CNN: 2007

http://edition.cnn.c...html#cnnSTCText

Sept 7: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac effectively nationalized by the U.S. Treasury which places them into "conservatorship."

This was done under the Bush administration.

Sept. 29:
- U.S. Congress rejects $700 billion plan to bail out the U.S. financial system.
- UK's Bradford & Bingley nationalized. Santander to buy deposits for $38.2bn
- German bank Hypo Real Estate to be bailed out by banks and government.
- Citigroup, the world's largest bank, says it will buy Wachovia.
- Belgian giant Fortis is bailed out by Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Royal Bank of Scotland shares lose a fifth of their value.
- Iceland part-nationalizes Glitnir, one of its biggest banks.

Sept 30:
- Belgian bank Dexia bailed out by France, Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Swiss bank UBS announces small profit in third quarter.
- Irish government guarantees safety of bonds, debts and deposits.

Oct 1: US Senate passes amended $700 billion bail-out plan.

Oct 3:
- US Congress passes $700 billion bail-out, President Bush signs it into law.
- Swiss bank UBS to cut 2000 jobs.
- Dutch government nationalizes banking and insurance activities of Fortis.

Bush administration.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#10 Omega

Omega

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

Okay.  I'm tired of this.  This is not me speaking as a moderator, this is me speaking as an American who's spent his entire life watching people divide this country for political purposes.  That division, far more than any policy, threatens to destroy everything this country has ever stood for, all the greatness we've ever had and ever reached for, and I'm done with it.

Despite the best efforts of the two major parties, this country remains whole and indivisible.  The unity of this country has to come first, before any political issues, before any policy disagreements, before any election.  We are one, or we are nothing.

Barack Obama is the President of the United States.  If you, as an American, say that President Obama is not your President, you either say that America is divided into two nations, or you deny that you are an American.  Either way, I want nothing to do with you, because you are what is destroying us.

Edited by Omega, 09 February 2010 - 09:13 AM.

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

No Omega your side demanded and ranted and raved that Bush was not YOUR President. Well now the shoe is on the other foot and hope you enjoy the pain your side dished out by the bucket full.

I have during my absense I heard those praying at the Alter of Obama that anyone speaking out about the GREAT Changer was called UNPATRIOTIC. Yet when they spoke out about Bush they demanded it was the DUTY of people if they disagreed to speak out.

Simply put the bucket of cold water your being hit with is the same your side threw around for eight years. Welcome to what goes around comes around.

And as the sig says. If you Voted for Obama then this is your fault and you will be reminded of it,

TANSTAAFL

#12 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostG1223, on Feb 9 2010, 08:51 AM, said:

No Omega your side demanded and ranted and raved that Bush was not YOUR President. Well now the shoe is on the other foot and hope you enjoy the pain your side dished out by the bucket full.

I have during my absense I heard those praying at the Alter of Obama that anyone speaking out about the GREAT Changer was called UNPATRIOTIC. Yet when they spoke out about Bush they demanded it was the DUTY of people if they disagreed to speak out.

Simply put the bucket of cold water your being hit with is the same your side threw around for eight years. Welcome to what goes around comes around.

And as the sig says. If you Voted for Obama then this is your fault and you will be reminded of it,

So, what you're saying is, you're not here for a discussion?  During the 8 Bush years you blamed everything on Clinton and Democrats, do Republicans and conservatives ever take any responsibility?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#13 Omega

Omega

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

I disagreed with Bush's policies, and I disagree with Obama's policies.  We can disagree on policy without ceasing to be Americans.  But you can't reject the President and remain in favor of national unity.

My side is that of a unified America.  If that's not your side, fine.  But if all your intention is to be divisive and hurt this country just to make a point, then you are not any sort of hero, and you are doing no sort of good.

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Sorry but laughing at the joke of a United Country went out the window when the left demands on one hand the right to scream like a ruptured cat and then shouts down when they have to hear the same shouting about their poorly made choice.

I supported Clinton for going into Bosnia because it was an ignored set of mass killings. I supported his rush to force Saddam to allow inspections which had us at a near state of war. ODD he said there were WMD and was never refuted.

TANSTAAFL

#15 Omega

Omega

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

So someone else decided against national unity, and that makes it okay for you to do the same?  Hell no.  You pick the principles that matter to you.  If the unity of this country isn't one of them, that's on you and you alone.

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yeah that is a typical liberal game play move.

If your not with me it's all your fault. Yeah when you want to piss on me it's OK it's Free Speech but when it's your turn. suddenly you want us all united behind your Accident in Chief.

Enjoy your President's Only Term in Office. The way he is going he will be a footnote as one of the failures. Possible behind Wilson. Hell he makes Carter look better than he was.

TANSTAAFL

#17 Omega

Omega

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'm saying that it's possible for someone to disagree with you without being evil.  This is one of the fundamental principles of civil discussion.  If you don't accept it, you have no interest in participating, either here or in the political discourse of this nation.  Your only interest can be to win at all costs, regardless of how much damage you do in the process.

And by the way, how the hell do you define "liberal" that I somehow qualify?  I'm a freaking Libertarian candidate for Congress!  That's about as absurd as when someone said to me, "Oh, yes, you're the Socialist candidate, aren't you?"

Edited by Omega, 09 February 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#18 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

First off.... I'm a Brit so I have absolutely no loyalties to any american politics whatsoever. I'm an outside entity...

But G', give it a break man. We get it. You hate Obama. Constantly mentioning that fact seems to be getting a little excessive and repetative don't you think?
Rejected and gone.

#19 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

Be carefull G, constantly posting your hatrid of the President in so many threads could be seen as spamming. Just a friendly alert.

I don't hate the President, I just disagree with most of his policies but he still is the President. To state otherwise is to disrespect the office and I will not do that. So he is my President even though I didn't vote for him, until the next election anyway and then we will see. ;)

LoP

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 8 2010, 11:32 PM, said:

Washington Post Transcript said:

OBAMA: Actually, I've gotten many of your ideas. I've taken a look at them, even before I was handed this.

Some of the ideas we have embraced and are in our package.

Some of them are embraced with caveats. So let me give you an example.

I think one of the proposals that has been focused on by the Republicans as a way to reduce costs is allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines. We actually include that as part of our approach. But the caveat is we've got to do so with some minimum standards, because otherwise what happens is that you could have insurance companies circumvent a whole bunch of state regulations about, you know, basic benefits or what have you; making sure that a woman is able to get mammograms as part of preventive care, for example.
ad_icon

Part of what could happen is insurance companies could go into states and cherry-pick and just get those who are healthiest and leave behind those who are least healthy, which would raise everybody's premiums who weren't healthy, right?

So it's not that many of these ideas aren't workable, but we have to refine them to make sure that they don't just end up worsening the situation for folks rather than making it better.

Now, what I said at the State of the Union is what I still believe. If you can show me and if I get confirmation from health care experts, people who know the system and how it works, including doctors and nurses, ways of reducing people's premiums, covering those who do not have insurance, making it more affordable for small businesses, having insurance reforms that ensure people have insurance even when they've got preexisting conditions, that their coverage is not dropped just because they're sick, that young people right out of college or as they're entering in the workforce can still get health insurance -- if those component parts are things that you care about and want to do, I'm game.

http://www.washingto...ST2010012902909

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, 2010, Republican ideas

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users