83 replies to this topic

#21 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

Shalimar's gone! That's very sad.

I hate cancer with a passion. My younger brother's wife died from it at 25, leaving him with two small children. It took my dad in 2007 and one of my cousins last year.

In Shalimar's memory, I will make a donation to one of the cancer charities. Stephen R. Donaldson once said (I'm paraphrasing here) "It is up to the living to give meaning to the sacrifices of those that have gone before."
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#22 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

View Postgsmonks, on Feb 16 2010, 02:20 PM, said:

In Shalimar's memory, I will make a donation to one of the cancer charities. Stephen R. Donaldson once said (I'm paraphrasing here) "It is up to the living to give meaning to the sacrifices of those that have gone before."

Good idea!

Here's a link to the American Cancer Society's page for making donations in memory of friends and loved ones:

https://www.cancer.o...on_promo=WebMem

#23 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

View PostNick, on Feb 16 2010, 11:22 AM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on Feb 16 2010, 02:20 PM, said:

Good idea!

Here's a link to the American Cancer Society's page for making donations in memory of friends and loved ones:

https://www.cancer.o...on_promo=WebMem

Nick, you might start a thread in AQG showing this link. I would have no problem with it being pinned for a few days either.

LoP

#24 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

^Done.

#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

I posted this in AQG, but wanted to add it to the lasting memorial:

I will never forget how hurt I was when it seemed like Shal  had turned on me when I was on staff. And I will never forget when, later, she reached out for me, both privately and on the board, to let me know that she herself remembered the hard task of being on staff, and that she understood and supported me even if she disagreed with what was happening at the time. We, none of us, are perfect. At some points in our lives, we have hurt someone. God willing, we find ways to make amends - but we can only make amends to those who have hearts open enough to receive that. Shal, from my recollection, lived with the law of karma in mind, and I'm grateful today that her karma has earned her so much goodwill.

I'm grateful for her life, for the contribution she has made to this community, as a founding member of Ex Isle, as a former Slipstreamer, as a former moderator for this community, and, to the end of her days, as someone who gave of herself to make this community what is is.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#26 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Those of you wishing to make donations to charity, I would also suggest any charities related to Animal Rescue, the feeding of Animals, or helping animals in any fashion.

Animals were a great deal of her life. She treated them as though they were her own children, and in return she was their mother. It would be a beautiful gesture for those who wish to donate to charity in her name, for it to be towards those charities, in my opinion.
Posted Image

#27 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Like Z, I remember the mess elsewhere about her cat passing away and got a hold of her to tell her how sorry I was for her loss. Being a cat lover myself, I know they're your four legged kids. When my cat Samantha got sick with cancer, Shal got a hold of me to tell me how sorry she was about my furry kid being sick. Mind you I had no idea that SHE was battling cancer herself. My kitty is still battling with her cancer (she and Shal share that same tenacity and strength of spirit)  but eventually, Samantha will lose that same battle. I'd like to think when that day comes, Shal will be up there looking after her until we get there.

I was never into RPG's but Shal had a private site for a while where she posted some of her writing. She wrote beautifully, she really did. While I don't have her talent, I figure it's the thought that counts...

Unshackled, unburden, take flight,
Soaring high above this worldly pain
Where skies never darknen, bathed in light
To the place where only happiness remains

Greet all those you have loved and lost
They wait to embrace you, held tight in their love
You're the beautiful rose now, untouched by the frost
The smiling Angel, looking down from above.

Rest easy Shal, until we meet again....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'll back up Zwolf on Shal's fairness. Last year, I posted a snarly thing about why I'd gone into lurkerdom, and got warned for it -- fine, I didn't really care; I've had one bleep of a year, and not posting is better than blowing off steam online (which I used to do and will always regret). Anyway, Shal then started a protest thread that challenged the warning, which was duly removed after much wrangling. (I've never read that whole thread, only her posts in it.) As we didn't know each other well, she had no reason to protest the warning, except for her sense of justice. I salute her memory.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#29 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

I didn't know her well, but I had to like anyone who would pick that lovely avatar.  And now I find out she was also a cat person.

Many soulful purrs will lift her on her way.
Cats will never be extinct!

#30 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

I sent the links of this, the original passing thread, and Saul's thread to Shadow; Shal's longtime gaming friend, and one-time roommate. To show her, and whoever she decides to show, just how much she meant to people around here.
Posted Image

#31 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,345 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:32 AM

Attached File  banner2.jpg   36.19K   42 downloads

#32 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

I haven't been here much the past couple of years but I started to know shalamar when ExIsle go going after Slipstream.  

I'm sorry to hear that she is gone.  She was always very good to talk to online.

May she have Peace and Light,

Shambalayogi
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#33 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

I had known Shal long enough that I have a lot of memories of her...I'm still gathering those memories of her, like flowers, and I want to come back and post some of them when I'm able to.

But the beginnings of this poem came to me very soon after I saw Rommie's first thread, and I wanted to go ahead and post it now.  

For Shal

Poorer we are, all of us, without you;
Never afraid to say what you thought,
Yet not in such haste
   as to forget
That the one reading your words
Was a person too.

You were always the first one
   that I thought of
Whenever I had a question about one of my cats;
One of the first I thought of, too,
Whenever I felt that all of us here at Ex Isle
Needed a little more of something intangible
That might be called Shelter, or Light, or Love.

You walked always in the Light;
Now...you walk only Within Light, and on other Paths.
We might hear the echo of your footsteps,
If we listen with the heart.

You had more class, more grace and dignity,
Than many I have known;
A love of beauty, and the will to share it;
And enough heart,
I do believe,
For ten.

Peridot
Posted Image

#34 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,345 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

Peridot very kindly found the photos Shalamar posted of her beautiful cats, she has asked that they be posted here and I think it's a wonderful idea.....

Mr. Soft as Silk
Attached File  soft_as_silk.jpg   14.85K   39 downloads

Poot
Attached File  poot.jpg   9.59K   39 downloads

Scamper monster paws
Attached File  scamper_monster_paws.jpg   10.41K   40 downloads

#35 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

^^ Awww :)  Cute cats. :)

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#36 curiousa2z

curiousa2z

Marching to a different bagpipe

• Islander
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

what a shock.

You know how it is with old friends (and yep, I liked her way back at KHCMB when she was Thundersinger)?
You drop by now and then every few months, you lurk to see how folks are doing, the years go by, you take things for granted...
Well I found out this morning and had to go away, have a bit of a cry, think about things...years of casual chats about everything from kitties to our common spirituality to safe 'green' cleaning products....

My condolances to all who loved her.
{{{{{{{Rommie}}}}}}} so, so sorry for your loss. Losing such a dearly loved friend - can words cover the pain?

If I had to describe Thundersinger/ Shal with just one word, it would be beauty. She had true beauty in her.
This is what she has left us - and as the poet said, a thing of beauty is a joy forever. Where ever she is now, she is singing, and the words go like this:

Beauty before me, I walk with.
Beauty behind me, I walk with.
Beauty above me, I walk with.
Beauty below me, I walk with.
Beauty all around me, I walk with.

Navajo Night Chant

Blessed be.

Edited by curiousa2z, 05 March 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce

#37 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

I poked my head into EI, for the first time in a long time, to read these threads and remember Shal's life. When Shadowfire told me about her passing, I was stunned. I had known that she was sick and had been for a while, but somehow it never occurred to me that we might lose her. It's a terrible thing to lose someone so good and full of life as Shalamar.

Over the years, she and I have butted heads and at times, but more often than that, we have agreed on many things. I always valued her posts and her contributions. She was a wonderful woman and the one thing we have always agreed upon is our cats. Her kind words when my cat Rocky passed away many years ago eased my pain and her encouragement when I was finally ready to think about bringing another cat in my life ensured that I didn't pass up the fat orange tabby who now dominates my house and my heart.

Journey on now, sister. We will follow when we can. May you be born again at
the same time and in the same place as those you knew and loved in this life.
May you know them again and love them again.

#38 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

Mark: I'm still too shocked, and sad at Shal's sudden passing to really say too much honoring her at the moment. She was a loving caring person, who could see both the good and bad in people, yet still show them compassion. She was one-of-a-kind, and my biggest regret regarding Shal, was I didn't fly to Houston to meet her just once.  :facepalm-f7e:

I really love ya, Shal.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#39 CurlyKirsty

CurlyKirsty
  • Islander
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

So sorry to hear about Shalamar's passing,
May eternal light shine upon her.....
Doctor Who?

Posted Image

#40 Ilisidi

Ilisidi

tantalizing...

• Islander
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

OMG!!!  :eek2:  I am so shocked!  I check in here every now and then and leave out without posting nowadays but to check in this year and see news of this?!  

My condolences and sympathy.  Yes, Shal was a very cool, outspoken and a very fair person.  I too remember her from Slipstream and KHC's board and as a RP'er who you were hard put to rival.  

Wow.  :eek4:
found this tidbit in the note section!  

Words of Zack RE Tyr: This is just one ex-writer speaking completely non-canonically, but in my mind the most fascinating thing about Tyr was that despite his breeding and socialization to be treacherous, opportunistic, and selfish, it was pretty clear that underneath it all, another aspect of Tyr's personality was to be gentle, loyal, and altruistic. We saw this most clearly in "Distant Drum," where with his memory gone Tyr's default mode was to protect the weak and risk his life for kludges, but it also surfaced in "Its Hour" with Tyr's obvious pride in and protectiveness toward Harper, and then in "All Too Human" (the title says it all), where Tyr is confused and enraged by his own compassion toward Harper. In my own mind at least, Tyr's growth as a character was ultimately to try and merge what was best about the Nietzscheans (energy, intelligence, never say die attitude) with what was best about humanity (empathy, altruism, connectedness with others.)As always, YMMV.

How I remember those days....

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users