Natural disasters Earthquake Chile 2010

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) - A massive magnitude-8.8 earthquake struck near the coast of south-central Chile early on Saturday, shaking buildings and causing blackouts in parts of the capital Santiago, 200 miles away.
http://www.reuters.c...E61Q0S920100227

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8540289.stm
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:21 AM

Ye gods and little fishes.

:(
Posted Image

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

Indeed. :(

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

8.8 ?! Holy crap! Chile get huge earthquakes- they got the biggest earthquake recorded (9.5) in 1960. The Haiti earthquake was 7. Since each one is 10 times as big, that makes it nearly 1000 times more severe than the Haiti one.

Thankfully Chile is very well prepared for earthquakes. It seems to me like they are handling it very well - last I heard they still had running water, and the death toll is relatively low considering (especially compared with Haiti).  

People are moving to higher ground on Easter Island amid fears of a tsunami. Alerts are in place across the Pacific.

Tsunami warnings have been issued for Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, Central America and Pacific island nations.

Last time a tsunami hit Hawaii and Japan. This is a worrying possibility.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 27 February 2010 - 07:47 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

The Pacific Ring Of Fire is a real bitch. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Feb 27 2010, 07:46 AM, said:

8.8 ?! Holy crap! Chile get huge earthquakes- they got the biggest earthquake recorded (9.5) in 1960. The Haiti earthquake was 7. Since each one is 10 times as big, that makes it nearly 1000 times more severe than the Haiti one.

Thankfully Chile is very well prepared for earthquakes. It seems to me like they are handling it very well - last I heard they still had running water, and the death toll is relatively low considering (especially compared with Haiti).
A 9.5 (or 8.8) is hard enough to imagine. Apparently the Yucatán Peninsula impact in Mexico would have been equivalent to a 13...

Last time a tsunami hit Hawaii and Japan. This is a worrying possibility.
Yeah, let's hope that doesn't happen.

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yeah - I'm hopeful Hawaii and other Pacific Rim islands under threat have good evacuation procedures - tsunamis hit fast - they need to be evacuating now until the threat is past...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

A tsunami is headed toward Hawaii and Japan.

http://news.yahoo.co...p/quake_tsunami

Not good.

Edited by Palisade, 27 February 2010 - 02:56 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

View PostPalisade, on Feb 27 2010, 02:54 PM, said:

A tsunami is headed toward Hawaii and Japan.

http://news.yahoo.co...p/quake_tsunami

Not good.
Crap. :(

#10 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

^ The article was talking about eight-foot high waves though. The article said they're potentially damaging. By way of comparison, the catastrophic Indian tsunami had 80-foot waves that reached up to 100-feet high in places.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#11 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

View PostPalisade, on Feb 27 2010, 03:45 PM, said:

^ The article was talking about eight-foot high waves though. The article said they're potentially damaging. By way of comparison, the catastrophic Indian tsunami had 80-foot waves that reached up to 100-feet high in places.
Well, it isn't good regardless. It may not be catastrophic in size but it could still be fairly damaging. I'd be more concerned about the smaller islands in the path of the waves. But the good news is they've had time to prepare for this. The problem is that you don't exactly have many places to go on the really tiny islands unless you physically leave them.

Edited by NeuralClone, 27 February 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#12 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

The meteorologist on CNN was explaining that magnitudes of earthquakes were figured out by combinining how prolonged and violent the shaking was with the extent of the area that feels that maximum shaking.  He said that this is a very widespread event and thus got a very high number but that the violence of the earth's movement in Haiti was actually much more severe, except confine to a much smaller (but densely populated) area.

Chile has a functioning government and infrastructure geared to withstand quakeswhile much of Port au Prince was built out of concrete blocks neither held together by mortar nor supported by rebar.

Both are still huge disasters, of course, and the tsunamis are likely to cause a lot more.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#13 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

{{{{{{{{New Zealand and Pacific islands}}}}}}}}

:(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake Chile, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users