• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to our latest OTer of the Week, Godeskian!

(Rules)
Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like this week's OTer of the week did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

Born and raised in Holland, specifically in a place called Gouda that cheese-afficianado's may recognise as the home of one of the better mild cheeses I'm one of the town's better exports, or so I like to think. I failed to get into drama school and instead went into the working world, and have pretty much been there ever since. Love learning, but I've found I hate education if that makes any sense.

Actually that sort of contradiction goes a long way towards summing up many many things about me, that and my absolute commitment to the idea that a basically sunny disposition makes life a great deal easier.

Everything I do is done with two simple goals in mind. The first is to do as much as I can before I get to set in my ways to be able to continue doing it. This has lead to some absolutely spectacular things (not many can say they've seen the Andromeda galaxy with their bare eyes) and to some epic failures (six grand into an experimental tree farm. What WAS I thinking ) but on the whole things have gone well.

I'm a great quoteist, if that's actually a word and I doubt it, and can effortlessly quote from Shakespeare to Walt Whitman to Walt Disney. Just because someone else said it first doesn't mean they got it wrong, and as Nathan Fillion once said, If you're going to steal, you might as well steal from the best.

Get ready to ask your questions of Gode.  I'll start off with one.  When did you move to the UK, and am I right that your parents were British citizens living in Holland when you were born?

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Sorry to pick at wounds but.. tree farm?  What kind of trees, why, and why did it fail?  (If you don't want to answer, I understand).

I know you to be a secular humanist -is that still the case, and what led you to that as a chosen path?

Favorite Andromeda episode?

Favorite shared Ex Isle show outside of Andromeda?  (By this I mean, one of the shows where a good number of members were participating and watching)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

View PostCardie, on Mar 2 2010, 12:23 AM, said:

Get ready to ask your questions of Gode.  I'll start off with one.  When did you move to the UK, and am I right that your parents were British citizens living in Holland when you were born?

I moved to the UK around the time I was busily turning 22, so that would be middle of the year 2001. And yes, my parents are both British. Funny story actually, my dad came back to the UK following a business trip to Holland and told my mum, 'Oh, and I've bought a house'. I have no idea if it's actually true, but that's the story he always tells :p

View PostQueenTiye, on Mar 2 2010, 04:45 AM, said:

Sorry to pick at wounds but.. tree farm?  What kind of trees, why, and why did it fail?  (If you don't want to answer, I understand).

The original idea was to hop on the carbon neutral bandwagon, by selling shares in hardwood trees that would mature for 20 years or so and then be sold for making fine furniture. The idea was to sell them to new parents and grandparents as an eco-friendly graduation gift for your offspring. It failed because we got caught up so much in the idea that it sounded neat to forget that it's actually a bit weird and non-mainstream considering who we were trying to sell it to. Ah well, you live you learn :)

I know you to be a secular humanist -is that still the case, and what led you to that as a chosen path?

I'm a secular humanist by default more than anything else, as if you look at the way I live my life, i tend to fall within that philosophy, but it's not something I spend a great deal of time thinking about these days to be honest. I originally picked secular humanism because I thought that a philosophy where you follow the evidence made so much more sense than one where you follow faith (which per definition is the belief in something for which there is no evidence) and I like the idea, still do, that mankind can fix mankind without need for supernatural intervention. It just seemed to be an amazingly upbeat philosophy compared to most others I knew of at the time.

These days I pretty much describe myself (if asked and willing to take it seriously) as a mish-mash of different viewpoints and beliefs.

Favorite Andromeda episode?

To loose the faithfull lighting ;) No seriously, probably the last ep of season 1 for the awesome character interaction and the kick-ass Magog fight. Plus that immortal line from Dylan 'All that matters in life, is that we try. Promise me you'll try.' THAT was a Dylan hunt worth following.

Favorite shared Ex Isle show outside of Andromeda?  (By this I mean, one of the shows where a good number of members were participating and watching)

Doctor Who I think is fairly actively watched and I'm a big fan which is a surprise because I vehemently dislike the older Doctor Who stuff (Pre-Ecclestone), otherwise Stargate or possibly Supernatural, but I've only just started watching the latter. Dean is amazingly entertaining, and saying this as a straight male, Jensen Ackles is oh so very pretty.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Jensen Ackles is oh so very pretty
LOL, he sure is.

My question, are you still planning on leaving the UK for warmer climes [Hawaii I think]. Would you ever consider moving back to Holland.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

^ Yeah, I was wondering how that was going. I think you'll get 20 more points on your application if you can play ukulele :D I can lend you Bret if you like (my uke).  Do you play any instruments?

Favourite films?

:) Thanks,

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#6 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

I happen to know Godeskian plays a mean Bass Gui... what was that sorry? Oh, Rockband doesn't count? Oh well then..

So, how did you get in to musical theatre?

How did you get in to table top RPGs?

#7 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Jensen Ackles is very pretty

Here's a question for you......Are you planning on doing any more travelling in the next few years?
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Oh Gode I get to ask you about your views on spirituality!  :)

But aside from that:  what do you consider your strongest and weakest traits?

And more importantly WHY do you think Jenson Ackles is pretty!   :unsure:

*that last one is a joke.  Mostly...;)*
Posted Image

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

View PostRaeven, on Mar 2 2010, 01:58 PM, said:

My question, are you still planning on leaving the UK for warmer climes [Hawaii I think]. Would you ever consider moving back to Holland.

Yes I am still planning to leave, and no I wouldn't consider going back to Holland. Part of my whole philosophical view of life is that you have to keep moving forward, and somehow moving back to a country I already left, especially moving back on anything like a permanent basis would feel like a step backwards. For much the same reason I don't imagine I'll ever move back to the UK once I leave, though like Holland I'll visit from time to time.

View PostSparkyCola, on Mar 2 2010, 06:06 PM, said:

^ Yeah, I was wondering how that was going. I think you'll get 20 more points on your application if you can play ukulele :D I can lend you Bret if you like (my uke).  Do you play any instruments?

Well, if anyone can be said to actually *play* a Ukulele ;) Seriously, no I don't play any instruments. I've always thought I wanted to, but never really found the time or the dedication to actually go out and learn to play one.

Favourite films?

The indiana Jones trilogy, especially the Last Crusade. I've got loads of films I enjoy thoroughly, but those three are probably my favorite.

:) Thanks,

Certes :)

View PostBalthamos, on Mar 2 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

So, how did you get in to musical theatre?

I blame my dad. You see for his birthday back in 99 my mum took him to a local tour of the musical Hair, as they'd both seen the original show back in the sixties, and my dad came home singing. Now, I can recall on one finger the number of times I can recall my dad singing properly, so this was a rather monumentous occasion. So with my parents all enthusiastic we got tickets for the next night. I didn't actually want to go as it would mean taping the Buffy season finale rather than watching it. I went anyway, and the rest is history.

And in four short weeks, Hair returns to the West End. I can't wait :D

How did you get in to table top RPGs?

Bit of a strange story actually, my sister and I stumbled with little grace into roleplaying through a local gaming store, but our first experiences could have easily soured us given that we ended up with groups that charged you for everything from membership to a glass of water, and whose members felt that 'new' people were to be seen and not heard unless they needed you to do something. Fortunately our local paperboy took an interest in my dad's telescope, and turned out to want to give roleplaying a go. So he and I sat down and designed a campaign world called Boyenda for 2nd editition D&D.

16 years and god knows how many gaming groups later, I still run sessions in that game-world.

View PostWildChildCait, on Mar 2 2010, 09:04 PM, said:

Here's a question for you......Are you planning on doing any more travelling in the next few years?

Plan to? Yes. Have the money to? Signs are hazy, ask again later. I've got a holiday booked in Florida over the summer, and I'm planning to make a trip to Lethbridge at the earliest oppertunity, but other than that I'll probably wait until after the move.

View PostBad Wolf, on Mar 2 2010, 11:45 PM, said:

Oh Gode I get to ask you about your views on spirituality!  :)

Absolutely, that's waht I'm here for :)

But aside from that:  what do you consider your strongest and weakest traits?

My strongest trait is probably that I can adapt to almost anything without letting it phase me. Trouble happens? while everyone else is still panicking, I'm working to fix it. Got a problem? I'm already researching a resolution while it's still being explained, come home to find my life upended (which has happened a few times) just roll with the punches and keep moving.

My weakest trait is probably that at heart I'm both unambitious (in many ways a good thing to) and I can be quite lazy unless i'm working under a deadline. Give me a specific date by which something has to be finished and I'll get it done, but just ask me to do something and other things will tend to get in the way.

And more importantly WHY do you think Jenson Ackles is pretty!   :unsure:

*that last one is a joke.  Mostly...;)*

I'm not sure I have a good answer to that, except that when I look at him I think that he has that perfect facial build that my brain twangs as 'guy-pretty' Much the same way as I look at girls and think 'heh, pretty' with no deeper intent behind it than that. Of course I can occasionally be a bit of a shallow TV viewer, in that regard. I'm not actually watching Chuck because I love the show or think Adam Baldwin is brilliant (he is, but that's a different issue) :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

Have you been able to watch all of Kim Possible?  What do you think of it as a whole now if you did?  Favorite villain?  Favorite anything else?

IIRC, you're a Power Rangers fan.  What are your favorite versions of them, and what do you think of the current state of Power Rangers now that Disney seems to have axed it?

Are you a fan of Stargate Universe?

What do you like to do on your spare time besides being online?

What are your favorite video games, and on what game system?
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#11 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:12 AM

Out of curiosity... Why do you want to move to Hawaii?

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

View PostCaptain Jack, on Mar 3 2010, 09:58 AM, said:

Have you been able to watch all of Kim Possible?  What do you think of it as a whole now if you did?  Favorite villain?  Favorite anything else?

I have, and I still think it's a crime there's never been a DVD release. The show is amazingly entertaining, doesn't mind liberally painting the fourth wall from time to time, and actually manages to have entertaining heroes AND villains. My favorite is probably a tie between Shego (apathetic deadpan snarker who's in it for the Evulz) and Motor Ed (Seriously!).

IIRC, you're a Power Rangers fan.  What are your favorite versions of them, and what do you think of the current state of Power Rangers now that Disney seems to have axed it?

In Space is probably always going to be my favorite, despite the lack of The Tommy! (I kid) because it was one of the very few early seasons to not only have a serious plot-arc, but also a few genuine twists. As for it being axed, I'm still watching RPM, but I'm gutted. I've been watching Power Rangers since I was twelve. It's just always been there in the background of my life.

You mean BattleStarGate Galacti-verse? No. ;)

I've recently rediscovered my love for rock-climbing, and I've always loved surfing, but with English weather I don't get to do much of that. Movies are always good and there's always just hanging with my friends.

Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Batman Arkham Asylum, and pretty much in that order. I was amazed at how quickly Mass Effect took the 2nd spot. All of them are Xbox games, but I do miss having a PS3 for games like Valkyria Chronicles (awesome game) and White Knight Chronicles, which I've heard amazing things about.

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 3 2010, 10:12 AM, said:

Because if I have to be stuck in a rat-race, I might as well have the paradisical scenery to go with it. And I do actually realise that living in Hawai'i it would rpobably lose some of it's mystique, but nine of my ten favorite activities can be done there in gorgeous weather.

:)

Defy Gravity!

#13 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well, if anyone can be said to actually *play* a Ukulele

*gasp* :o ... oh yeah? Take THIS! and THIS! Ha. :cool: :D

Favourite authors?

Sparky

#14 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Mar 3 2010, 12:02 PM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on Mar 3 2010, 09:58 AM, said:

I have, and I still think it's a crime there's never been a DVD release. The show is amazingly entertaining, doesn't mind liberally painting the fourth wall from time to time, and actually manages to have entertaining heroes AND villains. My favorite is probably a tie between Shego (apathetic deadpan snarker who's in it for the Evulz) and Motor Ed (Seriously!).

That's Disney for you.  Getting them to release shows like this is like pulling teeth from an angry shark.  I can't think of a single good reason why they won't release such a great series.

In Space is probably always going to be my favorite, despite the lack of The Tommy! (I kid) because it was one of the very few early seasons to not only have a serious plot-arc, but also a few genuine twists. As for it being axed, I'm still watching RPM, but I'm gutted. I've been watching Power Rangers since I was twelve. It's just always been there in the background of my life.

Fovorite Megazord(s)?

You mean BattleStarGate Galacti-verse? No. ;)

I'm totally with you on that one. :)

I've recently rediscovered my love for rock-climbing, and I've always loved surfing, but with English weather I don't get to do much of that. Movies are always good and there's always just hanging with my friends.

When you do get the chance, how is surfing over there?  Are the waves pretty good?  Are there any in-door rock-climbing facilities where you live as an option?

Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Batman Arkham Asylum, and pretty much in that order. I was amazed at how quickly Mass Effect took the 2nd spot. All of them are Xbox games, but I do miss having a PS3 for games like Valkyria Chronicles (awesome game) and White Knight Chronicles, which I've heard amazing things about.

I don't even have ME yet.  I heard it was good.  Same with Batman: AA.  Do you play online as well (XBOX Live)?

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 3 2010, 10:12 AM, said:

Because if I have to be stuck in a rat-race, I might as well have the paradisical scenery to go with it. And I do actually realise that living in Hawai'i it would rpobably lose some of it's mystique, but nine of my ten favorite activities can be done there in gorgeous weather.

:)

There is so much to see in Hawaii, it will never lose any of its mystique.  I know people who have gone there for years, and still want to go back.  Dawg the Bountyhunter lives there!  Wait, scratch that.  That's not a positive. lol.  Hawaii has a lifetime full of things to see and do.  Plus you'll get plenty of surf time, and rock-climbing opportunities.  What are you waiting for? :cool:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Mar 3 2010, 08:24 PM, said:

*gasp* :o ... oh yeah? Take THIS! and THIS! Ha. :cool: :D

Well, consider me pwned :p. That was pretty awesome actually.

Favourite authors?

David Weber. He can occasionally be a bit exposition heavy, but he really is a brilliant author, and he somehow manages to be tremendously cliched but at the same time compelling.

View PostCaptain Jack, on Mar 4 2010, 03:44 AM, said:

That's Disney for you.  Getting them to release shows like this is like pulling teeth from an angry shark.  I can't think of a single good reason why they won't release such a great series.

And it's not just KP, there's other Disney series which I would have thought would have merited DVD releases, but no.

Fovorite Megazord(s)?

I'm not actually sure I have one, per se as I always saw the zords as very much extensions of their Rangers, but it's probably going to be the Thundersaurus Stego-zord from Dino Thunder as it was the only surfing Megazord

I'm totally with you on that one. :)

The one thing Stargate has never needed was the forcibly 'darker and edgier' feel that they gave it for universe while trying to replicate BattleStar Galactica.

When you do get the chance, how is surfing over there?  Are the waves pretty good?  Are there any in-door rock-climbing facilities where you live as an option?

Cornwall's not bad, but it's cold even during the summer. Fortunately I've got two semi-local rock-climbing facilities. One in Luton, one in the Xscape in Milton Keynes (which is a pretty awesome one actually)

I don't even have ME yet.  I heard it was good.  Same with Batman: AA.  Do you play online as well (XBOX Live)?

Only on Rock Band and Gears of War. I've found that most games that require online participation suffer from the fact that the majority of gamers online are utter douchebags. So I tend to only play with friends.

There is so much to see in Hawaii, it will never lose any of its mystique.  I know people who have gone there for years, and still want to go back.  Dawg the Bountyhunter lives there!  Wait, scratch that.  That's not a positive. lol.  Hawaii has a lifetime full of things to see and do.  Plus you'll get plenty of surf time, and rock-climbing opportunities.  What are you waiting for? :cool:

The same thing I struggled with the last time I wanted to move, permission from the US goverment. Soon hopefully :)

Defy Gravity!

#16 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yep my government is a bunch of paranoid bunch of angry words I can't say right now.  Good luck with the visa thing.  It's why I emigrated to England-much easier than trying to get my husband to America.  

Yup you want to Surf in Hawaii; the waves are fantastic for that.  I have never been to Hawaii so I was just wondering why there and not California or some other place; your reasons make sense to me because Hawaii is beautiful from the pictures.

#17 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

*bumps*

Last call for questions before the next OTer of the week :)

Do you have any mottoes?

Sparky

#18 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

*significant bump*

Someone put the Godeskian silhouette spotlight on! :D

Sparky

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Gode never answered my question about his views on spirituality.  

*pouts*
Posted Image

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Mar 14 2010, 12:43 PM, said:

Gode never answered my question about his views on spirituality.  

*pouts*

Does he drink spirits? :p

:ninja:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, Godeskian, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users