7 replies to this topic

#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

"We have to pass the health care bill so that you can find out what is in it."

Edited by Palisade, 10 March 2010 - 09:23 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

Some additional context, not that it helps her:
http://www.usnews.co...hats-in-it.html

It has been said well and famously that politicians only really commit a gaffe when they tell the truth without meaning to. Add House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the list.

Speaking Tuesday to the 2010 Legislative Conference for the National Association of Counties, Pelosi began the windup of her healthcare pitch by alluding to the controversies over the healthcare bill and the process by which it has reached its current state. Then, just after saying, "It's going to be very, very exciting," Pelosi gaffed, telling the local elected officials assembled that Congress "[has] to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it, away from the fog of controversy."

This is the same Nancy Pelosi who, only weeks earlier, was bragging about the transparency of the process that produced the bill that is currently stalled in Congress. The same Pelosi who brushed aside concerns raised by organizations like Let Freedom Ring!--where I am a senior fellow--that members of Congress actually commit to reading the bill before voting for it and that it be posted online for at least 72 hours before any vote so that the American people can read it, too.

In fact, as supporters of the current healthcare bill will no doubt point out, the bill Pelosi and the White House are trying to move to the president's desk passed the Senate at Christmas. It has been on the Web for well over 72 hours; indeed it has been discussed and dissected by healthcare policy experts repeatedly over the last two months. But if that is the case, why is Pelosi telling the National Association of Counties that the bill has to pass before they--and the rest of us "can find out what's in it." What is she hiding?

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#3 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

If the context wouldn't help her, her quote wouldn't so often be cut off before she finished with "away from the fog of controversy." She's clearly saying all the controversy has confused the public and that they'll better understand the bill's contents when they are implemented. Of course, she didn't articulate herself well and away we go with another distractive media firestorm.

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

View Postcade, on Mar 10 2010, 11:29 AM, said:

If the context wouldn't help her, her quote wouldn't so often be cut off before she finished with "away from the fog of controversy." She's clearly saying all the controversy has confused the public and that they'll better understand the bill's contents when they are implemented. Of course, she didn't articulate herself well and away we go with another distractive media firestorm.

Yeah, sure wish the media would stop feeding the divisiveness that has this country stymied.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

View Postcade, on Mar 10 2010, 12:29 PM, said:

So I can view a draft copy of the current version of the bill, and the final version will be posted online 72 hours before the vote? Moreover, between Obama having the bully pulpit and Congress's ability to get media coverage if they want it, they could explain what's in the bill if they really wanted to do so. They could start with the secret deal the White House made with PhRMA.

FKA:

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

I'm fairly sure that even Congress doesn't know as a finality what's going to be in the bill even if it passes. I'd be stunned to find out that they're not still frantically negotiating for votes. She worded her answer very badly, but nobody's going to know what's in the damn thing till they do a  final vote - for some masochistic reason, I've actually stumbled through a couple of versions already - I'm a smart enough woman with a triple digit IQ and I couldn't even parse some of it.  :headshake:  :sarcasm:

And considering the horsesh*t that a lot of Republicans like Palin have put out like the "death panel" crap which has been debunked a billion times but which Republicans are STILL quoting as truth (because they're apparently too lazy or ignorant to read the appropriate parts of the bill and use their own brains), I'm pretty sure she was saying that they're not going to understand what's in it till it's passed and they can read the truth for themselves - or let somebody else summarize it for them.

Edited by Rhea, 10 March 2010 - 01:06 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeell.

Seems to me that, even if what she's talking about is people getting some perspective on it (by getting a chance to see it without the fog of controversy), that seems a POOR argument for passing it.
Posted Image

#8 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

^ I think we should pass it so the "Cadillac tax" that turns into a Camry tax can collect money for the health insurance companies. </sarcasm>

FKA:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users