9 replies to this topic

#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Public Option / "Medicare You Can Buy Into"

I don't know the in and outs of reconciliation, but it seems to me the Democrats could pass it if they wanted to.

http://grayson.house...cumentID=175363

Edited by Palisade, 13 March 2010 - 12:11 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, there have been and are a lot of things the Democrats could do if they wanted to. Filibuster is just their convenient excuse, and when they can't use that because of reconciliation, they just vaguely say "we don't have the votes" without releasing any specifics and against contrary evidence and expect us to swallow. No.

http://www.huffingto...a_b_497359.html

Barack Obama says he supports a public option but claims there aren't 51 votes in the Senate to pass it in reconciliation. Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin says he would aggressively whip the 51 votes for the public option if Nancy Pelosi would send him a House reconciliation bill that includes a public option. Nancy Pelosi says she won't include a public option in House reconciliation bill because there aren't enough votes in the Senate to pass it.

Meanwhile, over 40 Democratic Senators have signed a letter or otherwise indicated that they would vote for a public option if given the opportunity and it is almost certain to garner at least 51 votes if it actually came to the Senate floor. But every leading Democrat is doing everything possible to avoid an up or down vote on the public option and pointing the finger at someone else for killing it.

It's all Kabuki theater to cover up the truth that President Obama made a backroom deal with the for-profit hospital industry that the final health care bill would not include a national public option.

Despite the popularity of the public option among voters, no one in the Democratic leadership is willing to allow an up or down vote on the public option that might force Obama to go back on this deal and sign a bill which includes a public option.

Obama's deal to kill the public option--made with the Federation of American Hospitals, the lobbying group for America's for-profit investor-owned hospitals--was documented in an August 13 article in The New York Times:

"Several hospital lobbyists involved in the White House deals said it was understood as a condition of their support that the final legislation would not include a government-run health plan paying-Medicare rates...or controlled by the secretary of health and human services. 'We have an agreement with the White House that I'm very confident will be seen all the way through conference', one of the industry lobbyists, Chip Kahn, director of the Federation of American Hospitals, told a Capitol Hill newsletter...Industry lobbyists say they are not worried [about a public option.] 'We trust the White House,' Mr. Kahn said."

Obama's deal with big Pharma that Medicare would not be allowed to negotiate lower drug prices and that Americans would not be allowed to buy cheaper drugs from Canada and other advanced countries has been widely covered. But except for the Times, the media has failed to cover Obama's deal with the for-profit hospitals to block a public option.

Yet protecting this deal is the only rational explanation for the torturous efforts by the Democratic leadership to prevent a final up or down vote on the public option at all costs.

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

^Good article, cade.

The handling of health care "reform" really showed how much politicians in this country are most responsive to those with the most money.

Until we have real campaign finance reform in this country, it's all Kabuki theatre.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

View Postcade, on Mar 13 2010, 12:27 PM, said:

http://www.huffingto...a_b_497359.html

Obama's deal with big Pharma that Medicare would not be allowed to negotiate lower drug prices and that Americans would not be allowed to buy cheaper drugs from Canada and other advanced countries has been widely covered.

Dean Baker has been on a tear against free traders who turn into protectionists as soon as health care is mentioned.

His latest:

Protectionists Dominate Health Care Debate

Anyone seriously interested in controlling health care costs would be actively discussing alternatives to patent protection for financing the development of prescription drugs and medical equipment. Everyone who has taken even an intro economics class knows that there will be horrible waste and corruption when goods can sell for hundreds of times their competitive market price, as can be the case with prescription drugs and medical equipment. Those interested in controlling costs would also be actively seeking to promote international trade in medical services since the health care systems in other countries are so much more efficient than the U.S. system.

Neither of these items even gets mentioned in David Leonhardt's discussion of the prospects for controlling health care costs. This is indicative of the incredible corruption of the public debate on health care reform.

--Dean Baker

Edited by Palisade, 13 March 2010 - 01:06 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#5 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

There's actually a fairly easy way to deal with the patent issue. Mandatory auctions of patent. Something like 90% of the auctions would then end with the government paying the highest bid and killing the patent. You'd need some fraction of the auctions to hold up to prevent overbidding, but it would give the inventors the profits that they would get from the patent, without the delays and distortions that we currently have. Plus, doing this universally would kill patent trolls.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#6 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

4 pages huh?  Well it's concise I'll give it that.  I'll read the whole article when I'm awake.

#7 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

I've been in favor of "medicare for all" since day one.  But it won't happen any time soon, certainly not in this current round of healthcare reforms.  I doubt Grayson can even get enough votes in the house, much less the Senate.  And while the Democrats *could* pass this via reconciliation (in theory), in reality they can't.  There aren't enough Democrats that would actually support this.  Too many are bought and paid for by the insurance companies.  They're not about to put some of their best donors and lobbyist friends out of business.

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 13 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

4 pages huh?  Well it's concise I'll give it that.  I'll read the whole article when I'm awake.

Better than 2,000+ pages of mystery bill the Dems are pushing.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

View PostPalisade, on Mar 13 2010, 09:11 AM, said:

Public Option / "Medicare You Can Buy Into"

I don't know the in and outs of reconciliation, but it seems to me the Democrats could pass it if they wanted to.

http://grayson.house...cumentID=175363

Am I missing something? He doesn't seem to provide for the massive increase in paperwork and the bureaucracy that having millions more people on Medicare would cause.

And IMO, Medicare itself is worthless without supplemental insurance anyway. Otherwise you get stuck for a hell of a lot of costs, both medical costs and from the unpaid portion of prescriptions, and especially the donut hole in Part D which causes people to pay several thousand dollars in prescription costs that they probably can't afford.

My mom has her supplemental insurance with AARP. The Medicare premium and the AARP premium come to about $350 a month. The up side is that she's never had to pay a dollar for any of her medical costs, including hospitalization, because of her supplemental insurance. Prescriptions continue to be a sticking point for seniors, even with Part D. If they have heart or blood pressure problems (or other diseases that require even more expensive prescriptions), they hit the donit hole fast.

Edited by Rhea, 14 March 2010 - 01:27 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:18 PM

I love this guy!  That Palin person invaded his turf and trash talked him, and:

The Grayson campaign is now giving it back to Palin, saying that he was impressed she was able to fit his entire name on her hand.

"I look forward to an honest debate with Governor Palin on the issues, in the unlikely event that she ever learns anything about them," Grayson said. His campaign added that "[s]cientists are studying Sarah Palin's travel between Alaska and Florida carefully. They hope to learn more about the flight patterns of that elusive migratory species, the wild Alaskan dingbat."
I wish more politicians would dish it back to her.    :lol:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health care, 2010, Rep. Grayson bill

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users