OT'er of the week ObsidianStorm13 2010

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

Nope .. Only with Angelina Jolie.. <nods>  I gots permission from my hubby.  

All jokes aside, I'm pretty happy I don't really need to "fiddle" around!  Unless it's on a violin!

#22 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 16 2010, 02:55 PM, said:

My beaded jewelry consists of making little beaded flower necklaces-I have found that although I enjoy the crystals they are really expensive as is jewelry making in general so when i earn more money than what I make now-I'll probably make more intricate stuff-I have some really nice patterns that cost quite a bit to get all the components for.  Shame really!

I wish I could so that. Maybe when you get to making more intricate stuff, you can market it to those of us Exislers who can't make beaded neklaces but like to buy them. Do you have pictures? I'm deadly serious - I got all of my favorite jewelry from outside the U.S.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#23 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 16 2010, 04:55 PM, said:

As for my novel, it's sort of a conglomeration of sci-fi, fantasy and mystery all rolled into one.
You complete your novel. I'll complete mine. ~g~

My beaded jewelry consists of making little beaded flower necklaces-I have found that although I enjoy the crystals they are really expensive as is jewelry making in general so when i earn more money than what I make now-I'll probably make more intricate stuff-I have some really nice patterns that cost quite a bit to get all the components for.  Shame really!
Are these flower beads or do you make them yourself? Possibly with seed beads? I work with Swarovski as much as I can (yep, they are expensive. ~yikes~). I just made a necklace for my great niece's 14th b-day with the crystals.

What is your favorite type of peanut butter, chunky, creamy...?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#24 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

chunky for sandwiches, creamy for baking.  I prefer Jif though for crunchy and Peter Pan for creamy.  

If you finish your novel and I finish mine, i would be totally willing to exchange them and edit each other's work!  I love editing other people's writing.  It helps me work on my bad grammar which developed from a lack of training in school.  

I make them with seed beads.  My best friend found instructions on how to make beads from flower petals but I have to try making them.  I don't think she has either.

#25 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 17 2010, 04:55 AM, said:

I liked Lurhmann's Romeo and Juliet because I liked the visual modernization but the keeping of the language.  All the swirling colors everywhere, the busy nightlife; it was stunning and bizarre with the older language but then it makes a statement I think that the language isn't that difficult to overcome.

I was discussing the Luhrmann version with this very cultured grand dame in my neighborhood and she said that she of course couldn't go see it because it had these modern kids in it and there would be all that slang and foul language destroying the beauty of Shakespeare's poetry.  She was stunned when I told her that they were still using Shakespeare's lines and had just changed the setting.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#26 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

So, had you decided to leave Buffalo and then decided on the UK, or met Balth and decided to take off?
I'm wondering, as basically everyone I grew up has left Buffalo, about half of them deliberately looking to get out, the other half being something better convinced them to.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#27 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

View PostCardie, on Mar 22 2010, 03:00 PM, said:

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 17 2010, 04:55 AM, said:

I liked Lurhmann's Romeo and Juliet because I liked the visual modernization but the keeping of the language.  All the swirling colors everywhere, the busy nightlife; it was stunning and bizarre with the older language but then it makes a statement I think that the language isn't that difficult to overcome.

I was discussing the Luhrmann version with this very cultured grand dame in my neighborhood and she said that she of course couldn't go see it because it had these modern kids in it and there would be all that slang and foul language destroying the beauty of Shakespeare's poetry.  She was stunned when I told her that they were still using Shakespeare's lines and had just changed the setting.

Cardie

:howling: Preconceptions are an amazing thing, aren't they?
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#28 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostElara, on Mar 22 2010, 01:45 PM, said:

As for my novel, it's sort of a conglomeration of sci-fi, fantasy and mystery all rolled into one.
You complete your novel. I'll complete mine. ~g~
I'd jump in here, but I know I'll never finish.    :(   But I hope you two do.    :)

Are these flower beads or do you make them yourself? Possibly with seed beads? I work with Swarovski as much as I can (yep, they are expensive. ~yikes~). I just made a necklace for my great niece's 14th b-day with the crystals.
How did I not know this about you?!!  I am a total Swarovski fanatic!!!  I've been thinking of starting a Swarovski thread in Lifestyles, wondering if anybody else is interested!!     :wub:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#29 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

Actually... I met Balth and he had a year left at his university back home.  He didn't really like the university system here so when we got engaged I decided that I would at least let him have his final year in England with all of his friends and such back home.  

It's also much much easier to get a visa to leave the US then to get one to come in.  It's very difficult.

#30 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

^ Does that imply that after Balth has finished in the UK, you will both re-evaluate where you want to live?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#31 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on Mar 22 2010, 03:58 PM, said:

chunky for sandwiches, creamy for baking.  I prefer Jif though for crunchy and Peter Pan for creamy.  

If you finish your novel and I finish mine, i would be totally willing to exchange them and edit each other's work!  I love editing other people's writing.  It helps me work on my bad grammar which developed from a lack of training in school.  

I make them with seed beads.  My best friend found instructions on how to make beads from flower petals but I have to try making them.  I don't think she has either.
Since I don't like nuts in anything, even though I love nuts, I like creamy Peter Pan.

You are on! I enjoy editing, but hate giving criticism. Tends to upset people.  :lilsmile:

I've heard of making beads from petals, but I don't have any idea how. There is a way to use silver clay and make pieces for jewelry. Could make beads that way.

View PostNonny, on Mar 23 2010, 12:37 PM, said:

View PostElara, on Mar 22 2010, 01:45 PM, said:

How did I not know this about you?!!  I am a total Swarovski fanatic!!!  I've been thinking of starting a Swarovski thread in Lifestyles, wondering if anybody else is interested!!     :wub:
I don't know.  :lol:  You could start a thread and see if anyone is interested?  :lilsmile:
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#32 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostElara, on Mar 24 2010, 01:34 PM, said:

[me, messing up the quote boxes, again]
I don't know.  :lol:  You could start a thread and see if anyone is interested?  :lilsmile:
Will do, as soon as I figure out how to do it without sounding like I need a 12 step program.    :blush:   :rolleyes:   :lol:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, ObsidianStorm13, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users