Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Gasoline Alley! So where do you buy your gas?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

When the dx and I were wintering in my home town many years ago, we had an apartment around the block from my uncle's Sohio station.  I would take our little dog for a walk and visit him.  He was a good guy, and it wasn't a bad place to hang out.    :)   Fond memories.    :)

I would pump my own gas if I could, but these days my hands aren't up to it.  I have stories, most funny, some not so much, about having to rely on attendants for assistance.    :rolleyes:

Since I live in the desert, I dream of a solar-powered vehicle.  Nice dream.   :)   A plug in/solar hybrid golf cart would be cool.   :cool:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

I like using GasBuddy whenever I'm going to be out of my immediate area. Heck, even in your immediate area, you may find some independent who is consistently cheaper.

On the flip side, there's one gas station in a neighboring town that consistently charges 50-60 cents more for regular unleaded than anyone else in town (and they aren't even open that many hours). I've always wondered what the deal was there. I've long suspected that there's some sort of billing or money laundering scam there -- or maybe the local car rental agencies use them and charge their customers the "official" price, while privately paying less than prevailing prices as a preferred bulk purchaser. It'd be a quick way to skim a few bucks off the (negotiated discount) insurance repair rentals that are a big driver of car rental in this area. Insurance doesn't cover gas, so drop-offs with less than a full tank could mean 30-50% extra profit on a day rental, after expenses.

#3 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

In Oregon you can't pump your own. However, from my travels not being able to pump our own gas does not seem to raies our prices (even though the stations try to get self-serve voted in saying our prices will go down...since when will anything go down ;) ).

I prefer Shell, Texaco or Chevron to keep things clean but I usually buy less expensive gas and use a cleaner once every two months. Works well so far. We now have a station that sells gas without ethanol (which almost all gas here has).

LoP

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

I use Shell in my car. Been running fine, don't see a reason in changing.
Posted Image

#5 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

Shell is a good gas. :)

#6 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

View PostLover of Purple, on Mar 16 2010, 08:32 PM, said:

In Oregon you can't pump your own. However, from my travels not being able to pump our own gas does not seem to raies our prices (even though the stations try to get self-serve voted in saying our prices will go down...since when will anything go down ;) ).

I found out the hard way that I can't pump my own gas in Oregon.  The guy there yelled at me for reaching for the pump.  I didn't know.  I don't even know if I had to tip him or anything.  If I did, he probably hates my guts as I gave him nothing.  I'm evil, I guess, lol.

I prefer Shell, Texaco or Chevron to keep things clean but I usually buy less expensive gas and use a cleaner once every two months. Works well so far. We now have a station that sells gas without ethanol (which almost all gas here has).

LoP

Shell may be the most expensive in some areas, but it is well worth the price! :)   To me, they have the best gas.  Burns cleaner and better, great formula for most gas engines in terms of getting the most performance out of your car.  For me, a little bit better mileage too.  I only buy premium.  I've found that I have to go to get more gas more often with lower grades (regardless of what company) than I do with premium.  At least with my car.  I don't know about others except for a friend who drives a Corvette who has said the same thing to me.  Chevron and Texaco are pretty much one and the same.  I think Chevron owns Texaco.  Chevron/Texaco are a close second after Shell for me.  Followed by 76.

Middle grade is the lowest I'd go.  I would also do what LoP does with getting a cleaner and using it every two months.  Ya don't want gunk or sludge building up in your engine. :)  The cleaner will flush that out.

Avoid cheap stations like Arco.  I don't even consider what they sell to even be gasoline, it's that bad.  But people go there because they're generally one of the cheapest places around.  Personally, I won't feed my "baby" any "junk food".

There aren't any "hang-out" stations that I know of in my area.  Most people just go to get gas, and maybe a candy bar, cigarettes and a cola if one has a mini-mart, then leave.

Edited by Captain Jack, 17 March 2010 - 01:35 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

I almost always get Shell.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

Don't worry, Jack. You do not have to tip the pump attendants. If you do, you're way too generous. ;)

Now tipping your Carhops at Sonic? That's a whole other story. ^_^
Posted Image

#9 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

View PostRommieSG, on Mar 17 2010, 02:49 AM, said:

Don't worry, Jack. You do not have to tip the pump attendants. If you do, you're way too generous. ;)

Now tipping your Carhops at Sonic? That's a whole other story. ^_^

I didn't tip him, but felt I should have.  Glad to know I didn't have to though. :)

I've never been to a Sonic.  Do they have cute girls on roller-skates gettin' your order to you or something?  If so, I must find one, asap... :D

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Conoco, and Tesco are any good?  There's another one I saw today.  Cenco? Centro?  Started with a "C" I believe.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#10 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostNonny, on Mar 16 2010, 05:53 PM, said:

When the dx and I were wintering in my home town many years ago, we had an apartment around the block from my uncle's Sohio station. I would take our little dog for a walk and visit him. He was a good guy, and it wasn't a bad place to hang out. :) Fond memories. :)
Ah, Sohio.  Good times.  :)  My father worked for Sohio, and then BP for my entire life, until he took an early-retirement package a few years ago.  As such, I grew up only knowing how to buy gas at Sohio/BP. :)  When dad left BP and I stopped feeling a need to buy there out of loyalty to him, it took me several months to figure out where the other gas stations around town were.  They weren't even on my internal radar of "possible places to get gas" until I forced myself to start taking notice.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#11 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Since I own a 1970 Porsche which requires high octane, leaded gasoline,

(10.5:1 compression ratio - 200 Horsepower - 2 liter displacement- 6 cylinder)

I buy 4 gallons of BP 108 octane leaded aviation gasoline at a small local

airstrip in a 5 gallon plastic container. I add this to the Porsche when the

tank is nearly empty and then finish filling the tank with 12 gallons of

91 or 92 octane unleaded gas. The engine runs fine on this mixture

and the valve guides get the lead lubricant that they need.

edit for spelling .... again .... sigh

Edited by Eclipse, 18 March 2010 - 07:10 PM.

Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#12 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Now that's what I call 'High Maintenance' :blink:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum