• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

^ I used the word that I thought fit. Maybe if things go badly for me, I'll blame whoever is President and Governor. (Actually, I wouldn't.)

Edited by Palisade, 26 March 2010 - 11:56 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#142 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

/images/Stop.png

Enough with the accusations and counteraccusations. You're free to debate the merits of someone's arguments, but suggesting that there's some secret, nefarious intent behind said arguments is almost never productive. It almost inevitably becomes a discussion about the poster rather than the post, which we should all be trying to avoid.

Issued by Dev F

#143 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'll abide by the cool it, though I'm pretty sure my response was informative and not inflammatory.  Besides, it's time to head out for the day.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#144 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Mar 25 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

More on David Frum (and as a consequence, only tangentally on topic): http://capitalgainsa...ke-stalin-proud

David Frum and the Closing of the Conservative Mind
Mar 25
Bruce Bartlett

Etc. In the interest of fairness, this blogger can't substantiate Bartlett's claims: http://trueslant.com...on-health-care/

I know almost nothing about AEI. Though I am predisposed to believe that every Washington DC based think tank is somewhat intellectually corrupt, I’m pretty sure Mr. Bartlett’s experience wasn’t unique, and I am certain that the conservative movement as a whole handles dissent poorly, followup reporting persuades me that the particular boldfaced passage above is inaccurate (whether it accurately quotes Mr. Frum or not I have no idea), and is unfair to AEI.

For example, AEI Scholar Glenn Hubbard co-authored a Wall Street Journal op-ed on health care as recently as February. The AEI blog has tons of health care writing, much of it recent and discussing the reform effort that just succeeded. I could cite TV appearances and other articles too, but why bother? It’s already evident that there were plenty of comments from AEI folks on the subject of health care...

SNIP

Were any AEI scholars told to shut up about health care? Was there unspoken pressure? I sent an e-mail to all the folks listed on the think tank’s Web site, offering anonymity to anyone who requested it. I remain willing to expose even a partial vindication of Mr. Bartlett’s charge.

As yet, however, I’ve gotten only a lot of replies like this one from Charles Calomiris:

In all the years of my association with AEI no one ever suggested, much less ordered, that I say or not say anything. Quite the opposite; I was specifically told never to expect any guidance and I was guaranteed it in advance, which is why I was comfortable being involved with AEI for many years. The culture of AEI is completely contrary to attempts at control of academic thinking or speech. Freedom of thought is sacrosanct. I can tell you from personal knowledge that in many other think tanks in Washington that is not the case. At AEI, however, it is hard to imagine that these accusations could be true.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#145 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Actually to me if you are just paying gas money when you are riding with someone else you really are not taking the complete responsibility on.  That person that owns that car has to keep it maintained which is no small change and then of course the insurance money.

The problem about going on the web and checking out cities and towns transportation system is really not that trustworthy.

I know of one city in particular-you go to Texarkana, TX's website and they claim to have a Bus System-they don't.  It only runs within the downtown area and not to the outer suburbs.  Which is where most of the citizens of that Metropolitan live.

Here in Dallas yes we have a rail system but I would have to drive 15 miles to even get to the rails.  They don't service the smaller towns that lay around the DFW area.  Which again a lot of the citizenry lives in those outlaying towns.

And moving to the downtown area-yea, well I guess guns aren't such a bad idea...
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#146 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

^ I'm so not arguing about this anymore.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#147 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image

A major up side to health care reform.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#148 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hahaha! I love that! I'm tempted to print it out tape it to my desk at work!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ObamaCare, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users