Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Earthquake in Mexico also rattles SoCal, Ariz.

Natural Disasters Earthquake Mexico 2010

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

I hope any EIers in the area getting shaken by this quake and its aftershocks are OK.

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 04 April 2010 - 11:12 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Holy cow, that's the B&N in my town!  I'm on my way home from Harris Ranch, where a chandelier was swinging at about quarter to four yesterday afternoon, and the waitresses were puzzling over why.  I guess that would be it.  I'll ask my neighbors if they felt it, and I'm guessing they did, when I get home.  I'm wifiing from the Whole Foods in Pasadena where I'm waiting for the breakfast pizza.  

Enkephelan, are you okay?  And eechick, how about you?  There are quite a few San Diegans posting here.  Please check in, everybody in the affected area!
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

Oh, I'm glad to hear you're OK Nonny.  I asked about you on your FB page.  I didn't realize there were more EI'ers who lived in San Diego.  Please check in guys.  **pretty please**

I felt it all the way up in Los Angeles.  It rolled for an incredibly long time.  I thought it was building to another 7.0 here in LA.  No damage here in my apartment or in the city, but it shook us.  Like I said, it seemed to roll for about a minute.  I've been through both Sylmar and Northridge [only like 10 miles from both epicenter's] and this honestly felt like it was going to build to one of those.  [Note:  It was a 7.0+ in Mexicali]

My prayers are with the victims and their families.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, it's good to know that Nonny is ok!

My best friend lives in San Diego and she says it lasted a long time but her house is ok, nothing broken.
Last I heard San Diego hadn't suffered any damages but that could have changed, maybe some cracks in
roads.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Nonny - glad you're safe.  Hope all of our Ex Islers in the area do check in... is there a Beach thread?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

I'm okay Nonny.  

The quake was a rolling kind.  I haven't felt one like that since 1970.  Nothing was damaged in my house, but my parrots were very upset and my cockatoo was visibly shaking (crown up, tail spread) and he was mumbling to himself like a small frightened child - he needed extra reassurance.  I think the dogs took the quake much better.

Later, I went to the Von's grocery store in Palm Desert, having totally forgotten about the quake -- what a mess.  Lots of glass spaghetti jars, oil bottles and salad dressing being cleaned up - clean going on everywhere, but business continued without a hitch.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#7 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

I was amazed at how much it rolled.  It just kept going and going.  I know it was only like 30 seconds or so, but it actually felt like it was rolling for a few minutes.  IN earthquake time this one was a real odd one.  

I know we're connoisseurs of "types" of earthquakes in So. Cal. and it's sort of funny how we describe them, but I was thinking while it was happening that it was going to build and keep on going and going and going.  Weird feeling.

I'm glad you're OK too Enk.  Really glad.  :)

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 05 April 2010 - 08:50 PM.

Source:

#8 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

View PostNonny, on Apr 5 2010, 07:34 AM, said:

And eechick, how about you?
Yes, I was on the sofa at bro #1's house and the sofa started shaking. So I thought, "OK, earthquake." Bro#1 & the SIL had gone shopping  so I found the kids (14, 15 & 20) and tried to make sure they were in doorways. And I also thought, "I'm the responsible adult? That can't be good." Of course, the 14 year old nephew's first thought was to save the dog, which he brought in from the back yard. It lasted a lot longer than I expected. I had to get the nephew out from under the ceiling fan, which was moving back and forth. We felt aftershocks all evening yesterday. I'd still rather deal with an earthquake than a tornado.

Then I saw on the news this morning that there were 2 more 5.0 quakes a few hours east of us on different fault lines.

And the dog is fine.  ;)

#9 Mr. Synystyr

Mr. Synystyr

Watching from the shadows...

• Islander
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

The 5.1 at 6:30 this morning woke me up, but otherwise no harm here from any of the rocking or rolling.  Happy to hear that everyone else here is ok.
Feel the velvet darkness caressing you...

#10 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

I seem to be one of the few people I know here in Az who didn't feel anything. I was in bed due to food coma during the shaking. Most of my friends described it as "subtle".
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Apr 5 2010, 08:15 AM, said:

Oh, I'm glad to hear you're OK Nonny.  I asked about you on your FB page.  I didn't realize there were more EI'ers who lived in San Diego.  Please check in guys.  **pretty please**

I felt it all the way up in Los Angeles.  It rolled for an incredibly long time.  I thought it was building to another 7.0 here in LA.  No damage here in my apartment or in the city, but it shook us.  Like I said, it seemed to roll for about a minute.  I've been through both Sylmar and Northridge [only like 10 miles from both epicenter's] and this honestly felt like it was going to build to one of those.  [Note:  It was a 7.0+ in Mexicali]

My prayers are with the victims and their families.
I had trouble accessing Facebook while I was away the last couple days, so I only just saw it and replied.  Yeah, we have a bunch of EIers in San Diego County, two of us in Palm Desert.  Southern California is well represented in EI.    :)

My neighbors definitely felt it, long, heavy shaking, no damage.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

View PostEnkephalen, on Apr 5 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

I'm okay Nonny.  

The quake was a rolling kind.  I haven't felt one like that since 1970.  Nothing was damaged in my house, but my parrots were very upset and my cockatoo was visibly shaking (crown up, tail spread) and he was mumbling to himself like a small frightened child - he needed extra reassurance.  I think the dogs took the quake much better.

Later, I went to the Von's grocery store in Palm Desert, having totally forgotten about the quake -- what a mess.  Lots of glass spaghetti jars, oil bottles and salad dressing being cleaned up - clean going on everywhere, but business continued without a hitch.
Yikes!  Glad you're okay!  How are the birds and dogs today?
Posted Image

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

View Posteechick, on Apr 5 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Apr 5 2010, 07:34 AM, said:

And eechick, how about you?
Yes, I was on the sofa at bro #1's house and the sofa started shaking. So I thought, "OK, earthquake." Bro#1 & the SIL had gone shopping  so I found the kids (14, 15 & 20) and tried to make sure they were in doorways. And I also thought, "I'm the responsible adult? That can't be good." Of course, the 14 year old nephew's first thought was to save the dog, which he brought in from the back yard. It lasted a lot longer than I expected. I had to get the nephew out from under the ceiling fan, which was moving back and forth.
Sounds like you did well.    :)   Glad you're okay.  

We felt aftershocks all evening yesterday. I'd still rather deal with an earthquake than a tornado.

Then I saw on the news this morning that there were 2 more 5.0 quakes a few hours east of us on different fault lines.

And the dog is fine.  ;)
I've dealth with both, and I agree!
Posted Image

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks, Baldy and QT.   So far so good with the check in.  Hope everybody else in the affected area is okay.
Posted Image

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on Apr 5 2010, 09:50 PM, said:

I was amazed at how much it rolled.  It just kept going and going.  I know it was only like 30 seconds or so, but it actually felt like it was rolling for a few minutes.  IN earthquake time this one was a real odd one.  

I know we're connoisseurs of "types" of earthquakes in So. Cal. and it's sort of funny how we describe them, but I was thinking while it was happening that it was going to build and keep on going and going and going.  Weird feeling.

I'm glad you're OK too Enk.  Really glad.  :)

Holy cow, Cait - I don't think I realized you were in the area. You were felling the quake? :(

So glad to hear you all (Enke, Mr. Synystyr, eechick, Thia, Cait are ok!  

Truly odd with all the earthquakes one after another.

If it isn't traumatic to describe - what's the difference between a "rolling" quake, and some other kind?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

There really aren't any more earthquakes than there usually are, on average. It's just that they're getting reported more often and they're more consistent in striking populated areas (which is more humanity's fault, for continuing to breed).
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#17 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostNonny, on Apr 6 2010, 10:21 AM, said:

View PostEnkephalen, on Apr 5 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

I'm okay Nonny.  

Yikes!  Glad you're okay!  How are the birds and dogs today?

All the pets have short attention spans.  They've already forgotten about the fright.  Although. . .the cockatoo has been in a grumpy mood since then.  :headshake: But, he's like that anyway.  :rolleyes:

I assume there was no damage or broken items at your home?  It was a pretty good thumper.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

View PostEnkephalen, on Apr 6 2010, 06:05 PM, said:

All the pets have short attention spans.  They've already forgotten about the fright.  Although. . .the cockatoo has been in a grumpy mood since then.  :headshake: But, he's like that anyway.  :rolleyes:
My neighbor's poodle was sitting in his lap at the time, and gave him a what are you doing and why are you doing it look.    :D

I assume there was no damage or broken items at your home?  It was a pretty good thumper.
Nope, no breakage, no damage, but then I scan the normal mess and think, how would I know?     :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#19 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Apr 6 2010, 02:56 PM, said:

Holy cow, Cait - I don't think I realized you were in the area. You were felling the quake? :(

Yep.  We felt it all the way up in Los Angeles.  It was mild, but we felt it.  What worried me was the fact that it kept on rolling.  I thought it was going to build to a big one.

The difference between rolling and other kinds is just in the way the earth moves.  Sometimes it shakes, and moves up and down, but rolling is just this tremor that sort of rolls along.  I'm not sure which ones are worse, but I think the descriptions are only describing the way the earth is moving.

Source:

#20 mizor

mizor
  • Islander
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

It was definitely longer than most of the ones we get down here.  The way the eartht moved reminded me of my sea duty days. It felt just about like being tossed around by the ocean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Earthquake, Mexico, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users