3 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Guardian

Earthquake in China leaves hundreds dead and thousands injured

Police report shortage of relief equipment after magnitude 7.1 quake hits Yushu county in north-west province of Qinghai

At least 400 people have been killed and more have been injured or trapped in rubble after a series of earthquakes in north-west China.

Officials said more than 10,000 people were injured and six quakes hit Yushu county, Qinghai province.

"The need of relief equipment far exceeds supply, including tents, temporary housing, mobile kitchens, power generators. We have reported it to higher levels, who guarantee that relief supplies will be airlifted to Yushu in hours," Xie said. Power and water supplies have been cut although some early reports suggested larger buildings had stood firm. The population is relatively scattered, making it hard to assess damage.

The China Earthquake Networks Centre put the biggest shock at magnitude 7.1, although the US Geological Survey put it at 6.9. The Haiti quake which killed more than 200,000 and left 1m homeless in January was magnitude 7. The China Earthquake Administration said phone lines were down, hindering rescue efforts, while workers were racing to release water from a cracked reservoir.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Ok is it me or has there been an increase in seismic activity lately?  Those poor people!

Edited by obisidianstorm13, 14 April 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

^ I heard someone saying there isn't more activity, it just seems like a lot because they've hit residential areas (because of higher populations and more news cover, as well).

It really does seem like it's been a bad season for earthquakes though. :(

I hope China get the aid they need.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

I never looked at from that perspective.  I wonder if parts of China's land<for lack of correct terminology> is near the Pacific Ring of Fire, which I believe is on active plates that move a lot.<well a lot for shifting land plates that is> I wish I remembered more of my Earth Science now!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Earthquake, China, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users