• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

Animation historian Jerry Beck reported on his blog on Sunday that American producer Carl Macek passed away due to a heart attack on Saturday. Macek and Beck had co-founded the anime importing company Streamline Pictures in 1988.

Macek is best known for producing Robotech, the 1985 redubbed and edited adaptation of three different anime series Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. He also worked on the dubbing of many anime projects from Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (redubbed and edited adaptation of Captain Harlock and Queen Millennia) to more recently, Bleach and Naruto. His other dubbing production credits include Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival, My Neighbor Totoro, and Aura Battler Dunbine.
http://www.animenews...cek-passes-away

A sad day indeed. Truly a pioneer for anime in America.

*Prepares a Pineapple Salad in memorium*
Posted Image

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:51 AM

How sad. :down:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

The industry wouldn't be where it is without him.

Eternal life grant unto him, may perpetual light shine upon him.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,927 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

:headshake: Ho-Kay, I was unaware of who he was, but I do recall when Streamline Pictures started releasing their Anime releases.  It was around the same time I started collecting, and the only other options required knowing the right people who were willing to share what they had acquired.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Very sad.  :(   I had to check wikipedia for his age (something ANN should've mentioned, imo.  Here's hoping they write up a slightly better obit at some point.  He's an important enough figure to merit a bit of eulogizing there) and he wasn't yet 60.  Too young.  :(

When I first got into anime, Macek was a bit of a bad word among "real" fans, as a lot of people at the time were worried about "Macek-ization" of dubs, but I think in the last ten years, the tide turned and he'd swung back to being respected for his contributions to the industry.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

This is very sad news.  People can say what they want about the man, but he drove the American Anime industry into the semi-mainstream and kept pushing for it well after it hit it big time in the states.  A man that really had a vision and stuck to it.

Edited by NexusNine, 19 April 2010 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

If I recall correctly, Carl Macek was one of the original founders of the CFO (Cartoon/Fantasy Organization). This was the first nation-wide Anime fan club, and it started over 30 years ago. The club broke up in the early 1990s, but folks went on to form their own groups. I used to attend meetings of the New York City chapter, from 1984 to 1991. I haven't been to a single Anime-related function in the nearly 20 years since. Anime fandom was the very first fandom I belonged to.

May he rest in peace. :humble:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users