• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:25 PM

From CNN.com:

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) -- The House of Bishops voted Tuesday evening to confirm the Rev. Gene Robinson as bishop of New Hampshire, making him the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church's history.

Robinson needed a simple majority of the 106 votes to be confirmed. He received 62.

This has been discussed a lot in the news today--CNN's Crossfire had an interesting bit w/ Jerry Falwell and a member of the Human Rights Campaign (who remained astonishingly civil towards each other).  Falwell of course strongly opposed the ordainment on grounds of scripture . . . and also kept plugging a campaign he's championing to get a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriages.

To be honest,  I think this is a really awesome event.  Hopefully someday soon homosexuality will be accepted enough that it just simply isn't an issue anymore . . .

Go episcopalians!

-Nick

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:31 PM

Yay! I think this is VERY cool. :)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:38 PM

Great news indeed.  :cool:

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:39 PM

Good for them!

:D
Posted Image

#5 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

Very  :cool:.
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#6 ArmourMe

ArmourMe
  • Islander
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 11:44 PM

Wooo hooooo!!!!  Most excellent :)

Now, does anyone have a downloadable clip of the CNN reporter reporting, "Robinson will be the first Episcopal Gay bitch...BISHOP!" ????

I've heard about it (Letterman had a field day apparently) but have yet to see the clip :D :D :D

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:25 AM

I would think, to some Christains/Catholics, it isn't really a problem for them to *be* gay, but if they engage in"gay" sexual activity its wrong. And its doubly wrong for clergy (depending on the church) because of their vows of celebacy. But considering I find nothing wrong with being gay, or them making love (or being in love) and I know their are Christains that don't think its acceptable in any way shape or form, I think this is good  :)  :cool:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:45 AM

I would think, to some Christains/Catholics, it isn't really a problem for them to *be* gay, but if they engage in"gay" sexual activity its wrong.

That is like saying "it's okay to be heterosexual, but sex is a sin."

And it makes just as much sense.  Which is none.

And I will wager that many people who think that "being gay" is okay so long as they don't have sex with people of the same gender would NOT make the same argument about heterosexuals.

Lil
Posted Image

#9 ElJay

ElJay

Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:40 AM

I think it's high time!  It will be much more important in the long run (I fervently hope) that this is a good and godly man, rather than that this is a gay man.  Okay, he's gay--so what?  The Anglican Church makes no requirement of celibacy, after all.
US VETERAN AND PROUD OF IT!

Chivalry is a matter of both deeds and words.

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:33 AM

El Jay is right. There is no requirement that Episcopalian clergy be celibate. However, this decision will probably split the church. One wonders how damaging that will be.

If one is neither an Episcopalian, nor interested in following scripture, I'm not sure why this would even be an issue. It's not a matter of public policy. It's strictly an internal matter. Episcopalians should be free to argue from their own teachings about the morality of this decision without concerning themselves with what non-Episcopalians think. Similarly, why go to Jerry Falwell for commentary? He's not an Episcopalian. Why not go to some of the Episcopalian leaders who have been voicing opposition to this for years? (Perhaps because it's not as sensational as getting a figure like Falwell who probably enjoys the attention and will evoke strong feelings in the viewers.)

And I will wager that many people who think that "being gay" is okay so long as they don't have sex with people of the same gender would NOT make the same argument about heterosexuals.

Actually, I would, if one is a Catholic priest and therefore required to be celibate, then according to the vows he took, his sexuality is off the table, so to speak. The same holds true for any protestant clergy who are unmarried. The same holds true for any Christian serious about following the teaching of scripture. But then, if one isn't a Christian, it shouldn't matter.

Edited by Drew, 06 August 2003 - 09:56 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:37 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 6 2003, 02:45 AM, said:

If you're talking about sex outside of marriage, it is. But, again, this is a matter for Christians. If you're not a Christian and don't want to be, don't sweat it.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#12 Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf

Custom Title

• Islander
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:59 AM

ArmourMe, on Aug 6 2003, 04:44 AM, said:

Wooo hooooo!!!!  Most excellent :)

Now, does anyone have a downloadable clip of the CNN reporter reporting, "Robinson will be the first Episcopal Gay bitch...BISHOP!" ????

I've heard about it (Letterman had a field day apparently) but have yet to see the clip :D :D :D
I remember the one about J Lo and her uh... blowjob or something. I don't remember what the phrasing was, but it FOXNews
"Now Timmy, you look right into this Rocket engine while i stand behind this lead wall... We're gonna need another Timmy!!"
- Mr Lizard

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:24 AM

Drew, on Aug 6 2003, 07:37 AM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 6 2003, 02:45 AM, said:

If you're talking about sex outside of marriage, it is. But, again, this is a matter for Christians. If you're not a Christian and don't want to be, don't sweat it.
That assumes that every single Christian thinks *exactly* the way you do - and it implies that anyone who doesn't agree with you isn't a Christian, which is the exact problem I have with organized religion.

People of good conscience can disagree, and certainly Christians can.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:29 AM

Rhea, on Aug 6 2003, 10:24 AM, said:

That assumes that every single Christian thinks *exactly* the way you do - and it implies that anyone who doesn't agree with you isn't a Christian, which is the exact problem I have with organized religion.
Note what I said: It's a matter for Christians to discuss and argue. It's not a matter of public policy. If you aren't a Christian, don't want to be a Christian, or have no interest in following the tenets of the Christian faith, it does not affect you. If you don't believe it's a sin, go ahead and boink like wild dogs.  :cool:  But why should I let an outsider's opinion have an affect on a moral system he or she doesn't even accept?

Edited by Drew, 06 August 2003 - 10:46 AM.

#15 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:37 AM

Reminds me of the lovely little sound bite I heard of someone involved in the Kobe Bryant case who didn't even notice herself saying "she said that she raped him." Well, who knows, considering some of what I've heard, that might be the way it actually went...

the tenants of the Christian faith

Sorry, Drew, that would be the *tenets*. The tenants... are they paying rent, I hope? :lol:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#16 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:41 AM

Drew, on Aug 6 2003, 10:33 AM, said:

However, this decision will probably split the church. One wonders how damaging that will be.
You know, I was thinking that last night, but I'm not sure anymore.  Episcopalians (whose name is really hard for me to spell!  sheesh!!!) value the unity of the church more than most Protestants.  I found this to be an interesting (at least for Christians in other denominations) explanation of why the more conservative Episcopalians should, in the author's viewpoint, stay.  And then there's the Anglican church abroad, and they're none too happy with this decision...

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

#17 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:42 AM

Sorry, Drew, that would be the *tenets*

I knew that didn't look right when I wrote it. But I'm so busy trying to re-edit a really poorly edited book that came across my desk, that I'm slipping.

Edited by Drew, 06 August 2003 - 10:43 AM.

#18 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:01 PM

I'm doing a manuscript review of a book in which a very famous film historian made the same substitution of Tenants for tenets. His biggest howler, probably due to errant spell check, was when he referred to Jewish movie theatre operators in small southern towns encountering "rapid antisemitism." The phrase is "rampant antisemitism," although I'm sure it does spread speedily.  ;)

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

Rhea, on Aug 6 2003, 08:24 AM, said:

Yup.

It is that kind of statement that just.........makes my teeth grit.

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 06 August 2003 - 12:59 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:07 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 6 2003, 12:56 PM, said:

It is that kind of statement that just.........makes my teeth grit.
Why would you let a difference of interpretation of scripture have any effect on you? We're not talking about interpreting the US Constitution here; we're talking about the tenets of a faith you don't wish to claim. Getting indignant about how Christians interpret their text makes as much sense for you as it would for me to get indignant about how Flat Earthers explain the orbit of the moon.

Edited by Drew, 06 August 2003 - 01:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Religion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users